Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

O'Donovan +1 probably

Just been watching Everton basically being told by players they've approached that they don't want to play for them. Don't want to appear smug but I can't stop thinking about "that goal"....and the inevitable "have been in the top flight since 1954" if they finally get relegated.

Yes Lusty I thought/hoped they’d had it last year but the lucky gits managed to scrape enough to stay up. Their game against them in the final few games must have been the worst Chelsea played all season they were garbage. Chelsea and Everton involved again!! D’oh!! Let’s hope they get potted this time?

47 minutes ago, Zico said:

Who'd you drop though? 

If he starts at LWB I'll throw my ST at Evatt 

Exactly, you couldn’t drop either Jones or Toal who’s been exceptional wherever he’s played. Stick with the same back three if Johnson’s injured but it’ll be interesting who would be dropped if he isn’t and is fit to start?

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Exactly, you couldn’t drop either Jones or Toal who’s been exceptional wherever he’s played. Stick with the same back three if Johnson’s injured but it’ll be interesting who would be dropped if he isn’t and is fit to start?

Jones on the bench for me as a rule, and leave the others as started. That said, I like what Jones brings to the attack- gets some decent crosses in (FGR). Against what could be a fairly defensive team, we may need those crosses.

A good problem for the manager to have.

3 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Some random guy on Twitter saying Declan John on his way to Plymouth for a medical… after sending Beck back and loaning out Sadlier I can’t see us letting him go especially to a promotion rival. A week or 2 ago I could have seen it but not after the second half at Charlton. 

On Twitter?

7 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Some random guy on Twitter saying Declan John on his way to Plymouth for a medical… after sending Beck back and loaning out Sadlier I can’t see us letting him go especially to a promotion rival. A week or 2 ago I could have seen it but not after the second half at Charlton. 

He might get there by 1am

Just now, globaldiver said:

On Twitter?

Yeah to be fair there’s some pretty decent football content (from journalists etc) if you can work you way through the crap. I don’t believe this one… just thought it was interesting rumour late in the window. Can’t see how we could let him go this late having let others go already. 

9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If stoke go down and we go up, which is possible, isnt that a sideways step for his career?  

If Stoke manage to finish below 3 of Birmingham, Rotherham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Wigan, with a 7 point lead over the last 3, I'll sing Delilah on the town hall steps 😁

On the basis nowt else happens today I'd say we've broken even or made a slight profit in this window. All guesswork but I'd say roughly £500K expended and brought in on Dapo/Victor; probably about £200K brought in for Baka and Aimson combined and we likely spent a good part of that on R Williams from Hull. 

No complaints from me. The conclusion for the future from that type of business is that those in the squad with potential to attract big bids in the Summer (Johnston, Toal, Morley and maybe one or two others) would be sold but the money would be duly reinvested. 

The whole system/our future depends on quality scouting and analysis. Mr Markham is such a key figure.

23 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

On the basis nowt else happens today I'd say we've broken even or made a slight profit in this window. All guesswork but I'd say roughly £500K expended and brought in on Dapo/Victor; probably about £200K brought in for Baka and Aimson combined and we likely spent a good part of that on R Williams from Hull. 

No complaints from me. The conclusion for the future from that type of business is that those in the squad with potential to attract big bids in the Summer (Johnston, Toal, Morley and maybe one or two others) would be sold but the money would be duly reinvested. 

The whole system/our future depends on quality scouting and analysis. Mr Markham is such a key figure.

Agree with that. Happy with this window again. We have 5 loans and quite a lot of squad players out of contract in the summer who I think we may end up moving on - Isgrove, Sheehan, MJ, Dixon, Kachunga, Bod (who we may keep depending on injury) to name a few. Irrespective of what division we are in … it could be our biggest window to date.  Especially if we lose a few of our better players to decent bids.  Could end up needing 10-12 players but I trust them to get it right. 

Edited by Stevowanderer

4 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Do we think we will see any late flurries in the last few hours or reckon that's it?

Hoping Devine in myself but we are a bit loaded in midfield with MJ, Sheehan, Morley, Dempsey, Lee, Thomason. So would have to see one of them leave.

Devine won’t happen now as we have 5 loans and I can’t see it being a permanent. We can have more on loan but can only name 5 in the match day squad… and I think he’ll want all 5 that we have now in the 18. 

I think it's been a decent window - we'll find out over the next few games - but I'd like to see some further development of the B team with a view to bringing through our own talent rather than having to borrow kids from others.

I know we won't get anything like first pick in the young talent pool and it's a huge step up to get to the Championship quality we are aiming for but there's no reason they can't using the scouting system and analysis to try to spot late developers who have either been missed or have been discarded by the rich clubs - otherwise what's the point of the B team?

I've not seen anything yet from the B team to suggest we'll have players making the grade in the next year or so - and that needs to change.

Just now, paulhanley said:

Guesswork on my part and you could easily be right. Wouldn't be surprised if we copped nearer the £100K mark for Aimson though. It must have been a tempting bid given the timing.

If it's true that it was Aimson who wanted away to get regular starts then surely we'd have been in the driving seat during the negotiations?