Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

3 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

I think it's been a great window - we've only really lost 1 big hitter in Dapo (and he didn't quite fit what we needed) but kept the rest - Bradley wasn't recalled, Johnston, Santos, Morley etc all still here. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to top that league 2 Jan window though... that was the turning point for the whole club. I still pinch myself that we were around 20th/21st at the end of Jan...nearly everyone wanted rid of Evatt and somehow we got promoted.

If Charles hits 20+ this season we may struggle to keep hold of him if we don't go up. And I'm sure there will be big interest in Morley, Johnston anyway. We finally have some very saleable assets.

I agree Steve but I’d add the rejuvenated Dempsey to that list and also George when he’s fit again who I think may yet top them all.

4 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

I think it's been a great window - we've only really lost 1 big hitter in Dapo (and he didn't quite fit what we needed) but kept the rest - Bradley wasn't recalled, Johnston, Santos, Morley etc all still here. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to top that league 2 Jan window though... that was the turning point for the whole club. I still pinch myself that we were around 20th/21st at the end of Jan...nearly everyone wanted rid of Evatt and somehow we got promoted.

If Charles hits 20+ this season we may struggle to keep hold of him if we don't go up. And I'm sure there will be big interest in Morley, Johnston anyway. We finally have some very saleable assets.

We have a clutch of players who are oven ready for the Championship, for the future Morley and Toal could possibly play in the Prem 

2 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I agree Steve but I’d add the rejuvenated Dempsey to that list and also George when he’s fit again who I think may yet top them all.

Yeah I’m looking forward to Thomason being fit again. He’s improved so much in the last couple of years. I’m not as worried about losing Dempsey on a transfer yet … I’m more worried we lose him next week after this court case for ABH. He could go down couldnt he? He’s been brilliant recently 

2 hours ago, Stevowanderer said:

... after this court case for ABH. He could go down couldnt he? He’s been brilliant recently 

While it's always possible it seems unlikely ... assuming there aren't any previous cases on record.

Even if found guilty there are mitigating factors and no suggestion of notable damage, or premeditation. As a first offence he'd be unfortunate to get even a suspended, let alone incarcerated. 

45 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

While it's always possible it seems unlikely ... assuming there aren't any previous cases on record.

Even if found guilty there are mitigating factors and no suggestion of notable damage, or premeditation. As a first offence he'd be unfortunate to get even a suspended, let alone incarcerated. 

I don’t know enough about the incident (and definitely isn’t my area of expertise) to fully understand what could and couldn’t happen so I’d have to take your word for it. 

1 hour ago, Stevowanderer said:

I don’t know enough about the incident (and definitely isn’t my area of expertise) to fully understand what could and couldn’t happen so I’d have to take your word for it. 

To be fair details are slim, but it seems Dempsey and he ex Rugby League pro father were getting some hassle from a pub bouncer after a game in a Lake District pub. They took it for a while but eventually got bored & twatted a him.

Possibly more twatting than strictly necessary.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20991570/bolton-wanderers-kyle-dempsey-dad-assault-court/

The fact that folk are talking about Morley and Toal as likely to be capable of top flight football and bring us big money is all the proof you need of the value of the methods we are deploying in the transfer market. We've had them 12 months and six months respectively. There'll be hiccups but hopefully Mr Markham will get stuff right more than wrong. 

As fans it'll take some doing for us not to lob our toys out of the pram when selling assets. It's something previous generations have sulked about and used as the reason for having a pretty permanent falling out do with the club (Frances Lee, Franky Worthy, numerous in the 1990s). "No ambition" has been the allegation. In those days there may have been elements of justification. Nowadays the nurturing of talent and selling on at profit is the mechanism by which we allow ourselves to have sustainable ambitions. 

Footballing world's changed. It's a funny old game, Saint.

We're a trading club, end of.

We've brought players in on frees and we've bought players. We're giving longer contracts and selling them on, not giving them away. 

We probably got about £50k for Aimson, but in the past we'd have just released him.

The Sun (nuff said) claimed Dempsey and his dad were the ones who were attacked.

"Kyle Dempsey and his father were enjoying an evening out with their family in their home town of Maryport following Saturday’s pre-season friendly against his former club Carlisle United.

"During the course of the evening, they were both subjected to an unprovoked assault which left them requiring medical treatment.

"The Dempsey family will receive the full support of Chairman Sharon Brittan, manager Ian Evatt and the Club while the incident is being investigated by Cumbria Police."

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Wanderlust said:

The Sun (nuff said) claimed Dempsey and his dad were the ones who were attacked.

"Kyle Dempsey and his father were enjoying an evening out with their family in their home town of Maryport following Saturday’s pre-season friendly against his former club Carlisle United.

"During the course of the evening, they were both subjected to an unprovoked assault which left them requiring medical treatment.

"The Dempsey family will receive the full support of Chairman Sharon Brittan, manager Ian Evatt and the Club while the incident is being investigated by Cumbria Police."

That's how the story was first reported iirc.

Then someone on twitter started ballooning and it all became murky.

We'll see in good time.

26 minutes ago, Traf said:

We're a trading club, end of.

We've brought players in on frees and we've bought players. We're giving longer contracts and selling them on, not giving them away. 

We probably got about £50k for Aimson, but in the past we'd have just released him.

We’ve always been a trading club, just lost our way when in the Prem last. It’s a good start by this management, but it might get harder if we progress up the ladder.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

To be fair details are slim, but it seems Dempsey and he ex Rugby League pro father were getting some hassle from a pub bouncer after a game in a Lake District pub. They took it for a while but eventually got bored & twatted a him.

Possibly more twatting than strictly necessary.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20991570/bolton-wanderers-kyle-dempsey-dad-assault-court/

Maryport is rough as fuck. Very much not Lake District in terms of what you’d usually think.

I dare say we’ve all witnessed similar situations where ‘local boy done good’ returns to one horse hometown and ends up getting hassle.

Given the way it was originally reported and how these things usually pan out, I’d like to think that Dempsey wasn’t the aggressor as such, but someone has tried getting a rise out of him and bitten off more than they can chew.

Without necessarily knowing if any of the accused have previous, you’d think community service would be the most likely result? Ideally post-season. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You spoke quite highly of Whitehaven when you bumped in to my dad in a curry house there 😂

Ha ha ha. Never. It was ace meeting him there though. “My mates weird and loves jock football and Bolton…..that’s our Matt” 

It was proper weird living there. Nothing open. Big day out to Tesco. All very odd