Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

4 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

As we keep on getting reminded the majority of Leave voters voted for TBP and you and others have failed to show any analysis to suggest that leave voters 'won' the EU election as Mounts likes to describe it

There’s a rumour going round mate, that you think you can’t use your continental quilt when we leave the EU ?

Is that true :D

10 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

As we keep on getting reminded the majority of Leave voters voted for TBP and you and others have failed to show any analysis to suggest that leave voters 'won' the EU election as Mounts likes to describe it

Me? I don't care

I haven't ever said they won. I said it was trivia. Trivial nonsense.

Edited by boltondiver

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Steve Baker backing Boris

Hmmm, not sure about that

Baker is the number 1 Leaver with a plan but hasn’t got a big enough personality to be Leader and is not popular enough with the Tory sceptic’s, if Boris gets the job he would be wise to put Baker in charge of Leaving.

27 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Hmmm, not sure about that

Baker is the number 1 Leaver with a plan but hasn’t got a big enough personality to be Leader and is not popular enough with the Tory sceptic’s, if Boris gets the job he would be wise to put Baker in charge of Leaving.

Oh I think he has the personality, but not quite the time for him.

I expect he won’t have backed Boris without undertakings, one of which should be to leave Brexit to him.

Not a big fan of Boris, but this will have secured it with members.

55 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

You’d better start stocking up your tissues now pal :D

Gove’s comments are particularly ironic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48572882

Not a chance in hell they will shut down parliament when all of this is about the sovereignty of our parliament. If No Deal is on the cards there will be a vote of no confidence which the govt will lose, then a general election and a subsequent hung parliament. The ensuing period will be another political paralysis unless the withdrawal deal can be passed or A50 is revoked. 

1 minute ago, Salford Trotter said:

Not a chance in hell they will shut down parliament when all of this is about the sovereignty of our parliament. If No Deal is on the cards there will be a vote of no confidence which the govt will lose, then a general election and a subsequent hung parliament. The ensuing period will be another political paralysis unless the withdrawal deal can be passed or A50 is revoked. 

Stranger things have happened, don’t be too certain on that, hints are being made by some of them now.

Interesting how it said Merkel may be open to further talks now.

Like I say pal, get stocking up. You won’t like it when Mounts and PH are celebrating.

2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Stranger things have happened, don’t be too certain on that, hints are being made by some of them now.

Interesting how it said Merkel may be open to further talks now.

Like I say pal, get stocking up. You won’t like it when Mounts and PH are celebrating.

How strange it would be, don't you think, if that were to happen given all that has been said about sovereignty of parliament. Even if it did, the Torys would be in the political wilderness for a generation with the rise of the centre ground and who knows what would happen then. 

35 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

How strange it would be, don't you think, if that were to happen given all that has been said about sovereignty of parliament. Even if it did, the Torys would be in the political wilderness for a generation with the rise of the centre ground and who knows what would happen then. 

Hon yes, I agree. Very strange indeed, but as the whole episode has shown, strange things have happened. 

4 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

Where's the rise of the centre ground?

The world has never been so polarised, even the Lib Dems have gone a caso with their attempt to stay (ir)relevant.

• Site Supporter
On 08/06/2019 at 16:17, Farrelli said:

How do you know they didn't? Remain parties had over 6 million votes in the recent EU elections. 

My post makes no reference to the way voting went in the recent EU elections. It made reference to the referendum vote where remain voters marginally lost out to leave voters and haven't stopped bleating about it since.

1 hour ago, darwen_white said:

Where's the rise of the centre ground?

The world has never been so polarised, even the Lib Dems have gone a caso with their attempt to stay (ir)relevant.

So the Lib Dems didn't have their best local and EU elections in recent memory then? I must have been watching the wrong news programmes and there will be more to come

Edited by Salford Trotter

8 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

So the Lib Dems didn't have their best local and EU elections in recent memory then? I must have been watching the wrong news programmes and there will be more to come

The Brexit party are simply a vehicle for Farage, like UKIP was. It’s a flash in the pan. They don’t have a manifesto or any policies because Farage doesn’t expect them to be around come the next general election. Once the UK leaves the EU, he is off and the party will be an empty husk (like UKIP is now). 

I don’t understand why various posters on here can’t see that and think it’s the start of a new wave of British politics.

In my view the conservatives and (particularly) labour should be more worried about the Lib Dems, a real party with real policies who haven’t fucked up their approach to Brexit and lost the trust of the voters. Their challenge will be to show voters they have more substance than just a “remain” alternative (which falls away when we leave). 

2 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

The Brexit party are simply a vehicle for Farage, like UKIP was. It’s a flash in the pan. They don’t have a manifesto or any policies because Farage doesn’t expect them to be around come the next general election. Once the UK leaves the EU, he is off and the party will be an empty husk (like UKIP is now). 

I don’t understand why various posters on here can’t see that and think it’s the start of a new wave of British politics.

In my view the conservatives and (particularly) labour should be more worried about the Lib Dems, a real party with real policies who haven’t fucked up their approach to Brexit and lost the trust of the voters. Their challenge will be to show voters they have more substance than just a “remain” alternative (which falls away when we leave). 

Lib

Dems

Short for democratic, who won’t honour a democratic vote?!

Edited by boltondiver

7 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Lib

Dems

Short for democratic, who won’t honour a democratic vote?!

You keep saying this but even you have acknowledged the referendum was a bunch of politicans on both sides spouting lies. Added to that there were more versions of brexit than you could shake a stick at so no wonder millions of voters are waking up and demanding their voice be heard