Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Paying Tax On Rent

worthy10

But the millions saved in tax evasion by the big boys gives them an unfair advantage over the small local businesses that they might be competing with.

But then they open up countless stores/shops and employ 10,000s of folk who may otherwise would be scrounging around on benefits.

The top brass and higher management of these big business then go out and spend big on holidays, flash cars, big houses, household goods and services. All of which keep the economy ticking and in doing so pay huge amounts of personal tax which ends up in the countries coffers.

The tradesmen who accepts that cash-in-hand payment, then spends it, incurring some kind of tax. Pints down the pub, fags, etc.

We all get taxed one way or another.

• Site Supporter

Interesting point smiley. Back to that documentary a little while ago. The trickle down effect from the megarich has been shown to be less than expected, although obviously exists to a degree.

The point being that the majority of folk effectively don't get the benefit of the spending of those top few percent.

Either way, whatever the situation, if everyone (people and companies) paid their dues, then public services would be better, and maybe rates of tax could be reduced a little.

I must remember to get a VAT receipt off my Bing dealer and next brass.

And declare all those earnings selling stuff on eBay and the car boot.

And stop fiddling company car mileage allowances.

Get a receipt off your Wolves supporting egg man as well

You have to be earning a fair old whack to be forced into VAT registration, probably 4 times the £350 a week your quoting

Besides, your missing the original point which is loads of folk are up in arms about big corporates legally avoiding tax yet they would happily illegally dodge tax if they could get away with it

It's just double standards, unless they are whiter than white themselves they should give the moaning a rest

I've got close family who fit into the above, it's madness

Edited by birch-chorley

• Moderators

Besides, your missing the original point which is loads of folk are up in arms about big corporates legally avoiding tax yet they would happily illegally dodge tax if they could get away with it

they're probably up in arms because they can't get away with it

believe it's over 85k that demands you register for VAT

I go freelance soon

best read up on all this shit

exactly. I'm getting on it. Just can't decide which trade yet

Do it mate life's just one rich tapestry.

Just ignore folk slagging you off whilst sat on their company laptop during their company's work hours, probably sat in their company's car with a glove box full of receipts ready to hand in to their company's accounts office :D

Do it mate life's just one rich tapestry.

Just ignore folk slagging you off whilst sat on their company laptop during their company's work hours, probably sat in their company's car with a glove box full of receipts ready to hand in to their company's accounts office :D

Have you put a camera in my car haha

Have you put a camera in my car haha

He probably has, and there is a special WhatsApp group set up that monitors it......

So put it away, pull your trousers up, put this months edition of "Latin Hunks in Trunks" down and get back to work

:)

He probably has, and there is a special WhatsApp group set up that monitors it......

So put it away, pull your trousers up, put this months edition of "Latin Hunks in Trunks" down and get back to work

:)

No way it's the 5 year anniversary limited edition with a 2 page homage to uncle Brian

The VAT threshold is based on sales. For a business like mine, materials form a large part of the sales and then there are overheads on top of that. If a small business is VAT registered, it doesn't mean that it's profits are anywhere near £85k.

As BB states, you don't have to earn £85K to go VAT registered.

If you have a business that buys in materials.

And sells to businesses that are VAT registered themselves.

It makes sense you register so you can claim the VAT back on the materials you buy.

As BB states, you don't have to earn £85K to go VAT registered.

If you have a business that buys in materials.

And sells to businesses that are VAT registered themselves.

It makes sense you register so you can claim the VAT back on the materials you buy.

Yes, and I've been both. It depends on your business and amount of materials and services you buy and who you sell to. Selling to other VAT registered businesses isn't a problem as they claim it back. Selling to the general public means having to add 20% If sales are below the threshold, then it's a choice any business can make as you say. Reach the threshold and you have no choice.

Selling to the general public means having to add 20% If sales are below the threshold, then it's a choice any business can make as you say. Reach the threshold and you have no choice.

Happened to my parents when they had card stalls on the markets. They ran into the VAT threshold. It was ridiculous. Adding 20% to the price of greetings cards on a market, when your nearby competitors didn't was detrimental to their business. It was shocking really and signalled the end of a very successful enterprise. In those cases its a fucked up tax and makes no sense.