Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Car Hire Cross Country America

Theboybell

Looking to hire a car for this Route 66 trip im on in June.

Looked on hertz its about 300 dollars from one airport to the next. Never driven abroad or an automatic.

Any recommendations of companys or which car i should go for?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators

my advice is when dropping off, check what time the place shuts and what time they offer as a drop off

we put our drop off time as 1pm on a Sunday in New Orleans

turns out 1pm was also the time the office shut

we got there at 12.58pm and the staff did their best not to allow us to return the car there and then because they were locking up and didn't want to do the paper work

managed to get them to back down by pointing out if they have 1pm as a drop off time they should really be ready for folk to arrive at 1pm, another 5 minutes and we'd have been stuck with a car for another 24 hours and probably been spanked with a charge (plus overnight parking)

anyway, point being, check the drop off times in relation to opening hours and give yourself plenty of time to get it back in time

automatics are fine once you get the hang of it, likewise driving on the right - we picked up in nashville and were instantly thrown into rush hour cross city traffic and onto a busy highway - so a bit hairy to begin with

I'd also go with a convertible, we had a chevy camaro

paid about £280 for a week I think - make sure you get a sat nav included

Driving is a piece of piss over there

Only thing to remember is that you can go through a red light if nothings coming and your turning right, other than that the same

Think I’ve used Dollar before and they were fine, can’t recall the other. We’ve had a mustang and a Jeep SUV jobby, prefer the SUV

Driving there really is easy. Bit nervy the first time you drive out of the airport and turning right at red traffic lights took some getting used to.

Hertz and dollar have both been great for me. Watch for the sales bloke trying to get you to do an upgrade when you pick it up. Chances are, they've already set aside a larger vehicle for you.

Lots of great journeys around and off route 66 if you've time for a good explore

Edited by Duck Egg

Yes you can turn right on red, but you have to stop first, other wise its called a rolling red and if caught is a fine. Also if you come to flashing red lights ( this is a fail safe when the lights fail) you stop (this can be a 3 way or a 4 way stop depending on the number of roads) and you basically take it turns to go. Also on the roads, the even numbers run east/west ( i.e route 66 ) the odd numbers run north/south 

Yes you can turn right on red, but you have to stop first, other wise its called a rolling red and if caught is a fine.

First time I drove over there I did the beep test when turning right at a red light.

If the bloke behind me beeped I knew I should be turning. If he didn't I knew that either I shouldn't, or he was a numb tourist too

• Site Supporter

hired a mustang in Florida as the boot was bigger that a Camaro so could fit two cases in. Camaro boot was tiny. US car hire firms charge a bomb for sat nav so we just downloaded the relevant sections on iphone and stored them offline and navigated that way. Then delete each section before uploading the next on the route.

• Moderators

If it's cheap fair enough, but can't you just use your phone? Cheap US SIM permitting.

I did think about it but found it far easier to have a sat nav stuck to the windscreen in easy view

plus it meant the phone could be used for music and stuff

it didn't cost that much more iirc, because if it had, I'd have used my phone

think we used avis

The Chrysler PT Cruiser we had hated doing 70. The gearbox would change up a gear and struggle so drop down a gear and over rev.

It did manage Newport beach to Vegas and back on a tank and a bit of petrol.

My British politeness cost me a soft top yellow mustang. As the couple I let in front got the pick of the lot.

I had to pick from the bobbins cars in lot c

• Moderators

The PT is one of the shittiest cars ever made (discounting our own BL efforts in the 70's and 80's)

there's a feature on the web i was reading last night pretty much agrees

allegro being top of the list

think an fso and the riva might beat it  :)

On the subject of cars, get a soft top ... how if they are just 2 of you, the Mustang or Camaro will do ( but I would take the Mustang) , if you have 3 people go with the Mustang, unless the person in the back is 5'5 then they will have no head height in the Camaro on days or time you have the roof up , if you have more then 3 people get an SUV.

On the subject of cars, get a soft top ... how if they are just 2 of you, the Mustang or Camaro will do ( but I would take the Mustang) , if you have 3 people go with the Mustang, unless the person in the back is 5'5 then they will have no head height in the Camaro on days or time you have the roof up , if you have more then 3 people get an SUV.

I pick up from LA airport and no soft tops are available from that location

It's not ideal but if you do want a soft top consider getting an Uber from the airport to a car rental place. LAX is slap bang in the middle of LA.

That's a good shout. Last time in Vegas we had 2 nights there before moving on. Financially, it made sense to pick up the car from a rental place in the city and have 2 days less car hire cost.

As an aside - much as I love the States, Vegas and LA were OK to visit once but I'd be in no hurry to go back

That's a good shout. Last time in Vegas we had 2 nights there before moving on. Financially, it made sense to pick up the car from a rental place in the city and have 2 days less car hire cost.

As an aside - much as I love the States, Vegas and LA were OK to visit once but I'd be in no hurry to go back

Only one night in LA and two in Vegas