Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Multiple stabbing MCr

L/H White

29 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’m assuming you’re just guessing at a cost or maybe you’re comparing with America? 

I think Mr Brown is looking at the US mate.

Our costs over here were pretty negligible in comparison to the ambulance chasing champs before Pierrepoint was made redundant.

1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

That’s the case in America. I’m assuming it would be the same here.

Stop it Michael.

I asked for your facts hours ago on what it would cost here......you’ve not got the accts have you ?

You little lying tinker :D

Fuel is dirt cheap in the States, but fucking expensive here.....please don’t try to compare the rates for public executions 

Just now, miamiwhite said:

Stop it Michael.

I asked for your facts hours ago on what it would cost here......you’ve not got the accts have you ?

You little lying tinker :D

Fuel is dirt cheap in the States, but fucking expensive here.....please don’t try to compare the rates for public executions 

So you want me to provide facts and figures for something that isn’t happening?

Behave😁

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It might help if you're saying it's more expensive than prison.

It is. In America. 

We don’t have capital punishment here, so I would have thought using the experience of  the yanks would make way more fucking sense than coming up with figures for something that doesn’t exist. 

1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

It is. In America. 

We don’t have capital punishment here, so I would have thought using the experience of  the yanks would make way more fucking sense than coming up with figures for something that doesn’t exist. 

Hang on.....I thought you were called Mick not James 

Have to say that mick has a point

Even if we introduced the death penalty tomorrow I don’t think that’s it’s a massive leap to think that the only people that would benefit would be the legal bods

Imagine the fees that they could/would cream off the taxpayer in appeals on legal aid

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Have to say that mick has a point

Even if we introduced the death penalty tomorrow I don’t think that’s it’s a massive leap to think that the only people that would benefit would be the legal bods

Imagine the fees that they could/would cream off the taxpayer in appeals on legal aid

No doubt. Wouldn't want the death penalty.

If it did come back though, you'd hope that the extreme cases, as those of Lee Rigby's killer, that it would be done quickly.

It's a cut and dried case, 100% guilty. There'd be no need for procrastination.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No doubt. Wouldn't want the death penalty.

If it did come back though, you'd hope that the extreme cases, as those of Lee Rigby's killer, that it would be done quickly.

It's a cut and dried case, 100% guilty. There'd be no need for procrastination.

Aren't all cases cut and dried until they aren't? And there would be appeals on all sorts of grounds. Sentencing, mental health, family hardship etc...

The problem with the death penalty is simple. There is zero evidence it acts as a deterrent. It costs a lot of money (more so than locking people away for life) and it means that any miscarriages of justice become irreversible. 

There is absolutely no benefit to it at all. Even victim's families in many cases have said it hasn't helped them feel any better...in some cases makes them feel worse. Imagine years and years afterwards the thing still being in the news, appeals, date of execution etc....

7 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Aren't all cases cut and dried until they aren't? And there would be appeals on all sorts of grounds. Sentencing, mental health, family hardship etc...

The problem with the death penalty is simple. There is zero evidence it acts as a deterrent. It costs a lot of money (more so than locking people away for life) and it means that any miscarriages of justice become irreversible. 

There is absolutely no benefit to it at all. Even victim's families in many cases have said it hasn't helped them feel any better...in some cases makes them feel worse. Imagine years and years afterwards the thing still being in the news, appeals, date of execution etc....

Or imagine years after the person who killed your parent/son/daughter/sister/brother shopping in the same Tesco as you.

And another one going on about cost...how much does it cost? 

12 minutes ago, royal white said:

Or imagine years after the person who killed your parent/son/daughter/sister/brother shopping in the same Tesco as you.

And another one going on about cost...how much does it cost? 

Why would they be - nobody is advocating from letting out after a few years are they? And how would having them killed make me feel any better about the loss of a loved one?

19 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Why would they be - nobody is advocating from letting out after a few years are they? And how would having them killed make me feel any better about the loss of a loved one?

Because not all murderers serve a full life term, though I’m sure you know that. 

I personally would want someone killed if they had killed a love one, it would make me feel better knowing that they wouldn’t have the opportunity to murder again.

again, how much will it cost? 

• Site Supporter

US death penalty costs:

Enforcing the death penalty costs Florida $51 million a year above what it would cost to punish all first-degree murderers with life in prison without parole. 

The most comprehensive study in the country found that the death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of sentencing murderers to life imprisonment. 

In Texas, a death penalty case costs an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years. 

Websites below show a some state breakdowns:

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs/summary-of-states-death-penalty

https://www.amnestyusa.org/issues/death-penalty/death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost/

1 minute ago, Latham8WFC said:

US death penalty costs:

Enforcing the death penalty costs Florida $51 million a year above what it would cost to punish all first-degree murderers with life in prison without parole. 

The most comprehensive study in the country found that the death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of sentencing murderers to life imprisonment. 

In Texas, a death penalty case costs an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years. 

Websites below show a some state breakdowns:

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs/summary-of-states-death-penalty

https://www.amnestyusa.org/issues/death-penalty/death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost/

How much in India or Saudi?