Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trams coming to town

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They won't run anything at the minute because you'd be reliant on people who are commuting to Bury, which I imagine isn't particularly high. However, I expect there are thousands of people commuting to Manchester from Rawtenstall/Ramsbottom to Manchester so it would make a huge difference if there was a full link in to Manchester.

As for trams in to Bolton, I don't really see the point given the existing rail link, particularly as it seems they'd run on the existing train lines so in reality not doing much, if anything, to increase capacity. The trams make perfect sense in the city centre and immediate Manchester suburbs, but personally I'm not entirely convinced that they are suitable for doing 10-15 mile stretches. And to go tram-only and therefore removing links to Preston/Lancaster/Scotland/Clitheroe/Blackburn would just be utter madness.

If however they fancy extending the trams from Eccles to Leigh - you know, where it would actually make sense - then I am all for it.

The train line and tram line sort of come together in Bury. A halt for the train folk to switch to the tram into Manchester might make is easier I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The train line and tram line sort of come together in Bury. A halt for the train folk to switch to the tram into Manchester might make is easier I suppose.

Depends on how keen people are to walk the 5 minutes between the two, though it would presumably be easy enough to co-ordinate departure times and the like. That said, there is probably a very logical reason why it hasn't happened already - possibly planning related with speed limits on the line etc?

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Out the back of bury Church and Derby high there's a massive siding used by ELR the plan is to build a massive car park and have a stop there for commuters to use.

Whether that ends up as a swap over stop or if they can sort out the trams just a straight forward tram stop.

A lot of the issues go back to Labour central government turning GM down for infrastructure investment unless it brought in the congestion charge.

The vote on that was a resounding no.

3 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Out the back of bury Church and Derby high there's a massive siding used by ELR the plan is to build a massive car park and have a stop there for commuters to use.

Whether that ends up as a swap over stop or if they can sort out the trams just a straight forward tram stop.

A lot of the issues go back to Labour central government turning GM down for infrastructure investment unless it brought in the congestion charge.

They've mentioned this for a few years now as it's the point where the ELR & Metro are closest.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Makes sense, if they can sort the finance out I suppose.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

ELR should be making a mint if they're getting royalties for featuring on "Steam Train Britain" on Yesterday, which I may or may not have on series link. 🤨

Dress it up like the train from back to the future!

Run the bugger of old veg oil/bio diesel and get Greta to open it. A winner.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The local prospective parliamentary Labour candidate has just announced that Labour will start on Jan 1st 2020, have it finished by Bolton Holidays and fares will be 33% cheaper than whatever they would be under the conservatives.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

The local prospective parliamentary Labour candidate has just announced that Labour will start on Jan 1st 2020, have it finished by Bolton Holidays and fares will be 33% cheaper than whatever they would be under the conservatives.

Has any rail work train or tram ever finished on time?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Boby Brno said:

:)

Wow. Fuelled by water no doubt!

2 hours ago, Nowack said:

I say Salford, Swinton, Wogdon on the Wigan line then spur off before Atherton and go through Daubhill and down the middle of Derby Street. 

There was another train station serving that line just near moor Lane bus station, not sure if at it was called though. Bolton Great Moor.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bolton_great_moor_street/

Edited by Mounts Kipper

6 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can only be a good thing in my opinion. Manny Rd and Bury Rd routes make sense.

Was working around the Etihad when they were putting rails and whatnot in for the trams. It was a 2 year job.

• Site Supporter

There's already plenty of tunnels underneath Manchester large enough to at least create a cross Manchester rail system. Much of it belonged to the old GPO and is used as a massive ducting for telephone cables. In fact, there's an underground train station too.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/underground-manchester-tunnels-pictures-history-9471616

• Members
6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

There's already plenty of tunnels underneath Manchester large enough to at least create a cross Manchester rail system. Much of it belonged to the old GPO and is used as a massive ducting for telephone cables. In fact, there's an underground train station too.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/underground-manchester-tunnels-pictures-history-9471616

Fuckin hell bit grim down there. 

• Members
9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Cleaners probably haven't been down there for a while.

Went into the temple bar just off Oxford rd , it’s underground, I asked a guy what was behind one of the doors and he said Manchester underground. Thought he was having me on