Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

I'm still of the opinion that our best chance, short and long term, is a circuit breaker lockdown, and then use that time to hammer home the message of what you can and can't do when it reopens, and that it will  be a gradual approach to get back to things like gigs and football

I'd agree, and I think that's where we're headed, probably to coincide with half term in a couple of weeks

5 hours ago, gonzo said:

You think this worldwide pandemic came from a bat in a food market?

I believe the scientists that said they could "firmly determine that Covid originated through natural processes". 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

I also believe the scientists who have been warning us for years that our intensive meat industry & deforestation are putting us at risk of new diseases & pandemics. 

Who do you believe? The big orange man across the pond?

Not defending China. They're not telling us something & they handled it badly at the beginning. But neither of those things mean it was released on purpose.

4 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

I believe the scientists that said they could "firmly determine that Covid originated through natural processes". 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

I also believe the scientists who have been warning us for years that our intensive meat industry & deforestation are putting us at risk of new diseases & pandemics. 

Who do you believe? The big orange man across the pond?

Not defending China. They're not telling us something & they handled it badly at the beginning. But neither of those things mean it was released on purpose.

Could it have originated in a bat and been cultivated and spread though? @peelyfeet?

15 hours ago, Escobarp said:

It’s the truth 

how’s China’s case numbers at the minute?

Low I take it 

They just tested 9 million people in a day in a city where 6 new cases emerged. They've been better prepared for pandemics due to recent other outbreaks. It's why places like Thailand & HK are also doing better.

We were told to prepare in January. We had the summer to prepare a test & trace system. 

China hold some responsibility... But that doesn't mean they purposefully released it.

Just now, Escobarp said:

Could it have originated in a bat and been cultivated and spread though? @peelyfeet?

Every time the virus infects a new host, the genome changes very slightly, and theoretically you could trace it from host A, a bat, to host Z the human, obviously with millions of jumps in between.

We can see host A, the bat, we can see host Z, the human.  We cant see B-Y. But we can see a pangolin in the middle, and maybe some other animals. 

B-Y might be a shit load of bats, or could be a shit load of generations in a lab.

1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

Every time the virus infects a new host, the genome changes very slightly, and theoretically you could trace it from host A, a bat, to host Z the human, obviously with millions of jumps in between.

We can see host A, the bat, we can see host Z, the human.  We cant see B-Y. But we can see a pangolin in the middle, and maybe some other animals. 

B-Y might be a shit load of bats, or could be a shit load of generations in a lab.

Thank you for confirming what I had read a while back mate. 

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I'm shite with science.. all I've done is looked at the overwhelming evidence coming from the scientific community.

We've been warned of this for years. The government even scrapped our pandemic response committee a year ago.

In answer to your question - I'm sure anything is possible. But it doesn't make sense. Whilst their economy is recovering, they're not in a better position surely? 

Curious why you think low cases are evidence it was released on purpose?

6 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Nice neck of the woods though. Some nice areas in that Parbold/Newburgh/Burscough neck - they’re like Swiss villages compared to Bolton 😀

Yeah nice places to live. Didn't appreciate it as kids, in the 70s and 80s we thought it was boring. There were 2 shops in my village, closed on Weds and 5pm every night, a bus every hr if you were lucky, train was 25 mins walk away. We didn't get channel 4 for years, no Gas supply, just loads of fields and woods. 

I don’t. I’ve thought this since the outset of the virus if you read back. And this was just me own uneducated view not as a result of someone spouting it. I found it odd at the time at the levels of case numbers they had compared to other countries. Bearing in mind the time lapse between suspected first infection , density of population and time Of lockdown in Wuhan these numbers should be considerably higher but they weren’t. Which raised alarm bells for me personally. 

I then look at how quickly the Chinese stock market recovered compared to the rest of the developed world and that also raised questions in my head. It was almost as if they knew the virus has all but gone there and thus confidence was restored whereas other major global economies had a different outlook and continue to do so. It’s  all a bit convenient for my liking. 

1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

Did you live in parbold, or hilldale/ Mawdesley way.

I played football for Newburgh, parbold  hilldale, and cricket for Mawdesley, in the 80s and 90s

We were due to move to the area but it fell through and ended up in Chorley, parents didn’t want to pull me out of Primary school though as id settled in at Douglas, had a few cousins there. This was 1990-1995 though so a little but after you. Went onto high school in Croston 

Lovely area, would like to move out that way but the prices are ridiculous 

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I don’t. I’ve thought this since the outset of the virus if you read back. And this was just me own uneducated view not as a result of someone spouting it. I found it odd at the time at the levels of case numbers they had compared to other countries. Bearing in mind the time lapse between suspected first infection , density of population and time Of lockdown in Wuhan these numbers should be considerably higher but they weren’t. Which raised alarm bells for me personally. 

I then look at how quickly the Chinese stock market recovered compared to the rest of the developed world and that also raised questions in my head. It was almost as if they knew the virus has all but gone there and thus confidence was restored whereas other major global economies had a different outlook and continue to do so. It’s  all a bit convenient for my liking. 

Wish I had time to read back mate. Though I do find the first few pages of this thread brilliant... We're all missing those days.

Imagine the team they would need working on an operation of that magnitude? Scientists, government officials etc.

Even being a dictatorship, I would still be impressed if they could pull it off without a leak at some point. And China isn't immune to whistleblowers. 

I get that they're a state which operates in a way that raises suspicions. But all of your points can be explained without pointing to mass murder.

Edited by London Wanderer

5 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Wish I had time to read back mate. Though I do find the first few pages of this thread brilliant... We're all missing those days.

Imagine the team they would need working on an operation of that magnitude? Scientists, government officials etc.

Even being a dictatorship, I would still be impressed if they could pull it off without a leak at some point. And China isn't immune to whistleblowers. 

I get that they're a state which operates in a way that raises suspicions. But all of your points can be explained without pointing to mass murder.

And they can just as easily be explained by mass murder. 

Just now, London Wanderer said:

Not quite 'just as easily' mate. You're theory requires a bit more evidence than the other one. 

No point going in circles anyhow. 

What evidence do we have to the contrary? We have the origin of the virus in a bat potentially. Then that’s it. But yeah little point in discussing 

41 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

We were due to move to the area but it fell through and ended up in Chorley, parents didn’t want to pull me out of Primary school though as id settled in at Douglas, had a few cousins there. This was 1990-1995 though so a little but after you. Went onto high school in Croston 

Lovely area, would like to move out that way but the prices are ridiculous 

Ah right. I got sent to school in Ormskirk, after parbold, almost in Aughton.  loads of posh scousers and kids of Liverpool and Everton players and staff.

My mate went out with Colin Harvey's daughter. We had a top school football team, Roy Evans did some coaching when I was there. 

There was a lad called Tony Morley, who played for villa and England in the 80s, who went before I was there, Stephen Warnock was one of my brothers mates, used to come round our house, a lad called Phil Charnock was a few yrs below me,  Liverpool youngest player for a bit, ended up being captain of crewe for a whil in tbe 90s, it was really good, if you liked football, lots if lads who played for PNE, Blackpool, so e went to Australia and US to play. A really good school if you liked football.

Edited by peelyfeet

37 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Ah right. I got sent to school in Ormskirk, after parbold, almost in Aughton.  loads of posh scousers and kids of Liverpool and Everton players and staff.

My mate went out with Colin Harvey's daughter. We had a top school football team, Roy Evans did some coaching when I was there. 

There was a lad called Tony Morley, who played for villa and England in the 80s, who went before I was there, Stephen Warnock was one of my brothers mates, used to come round our house, a lad called Phil Charnock was a few yrs below me,  Liverpool youngest player for a bit, ended up being captain of crewe for a whil in tbe 90s, it was really good, if you liked football, lots if lads who played for PNE, Blackpool, so e went to Australia and US to play. A really good school if you liked football.

Think a mate of mine (John Kirby) went to Ormskirk, a bit closer to your age, you might know him 

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

Think a mate of mine (John Kirby) went to Ormskirk, a bit closer to your age, you might know him 

Horrible word when spoken with a scouse accent