Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Against The Potteries.

leigh white

I think the rivalry started about 73 with Port Vale away, then escalated a year later with their bigger neighbours. Always liked an away game down that end, it was like going into the unknown. One thing, Vale and Stoke never mobbed up together for a ruck when Bolton came to town.

Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Victoria ground was always a shady place to go, think it was early mid 90s on a Tuesday in the snow a big mob of stoke came to the away end windmilling

remember speaking to the copper in charge other year at vale and he said neither fans are wired up right 

I always thought Vale Park was more intimidating in the 80s, a mad house round in Burslem then.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Stoke after the match in the 78 promotion season was pretty lairy & Vale when their lad got knifed was mayhem. 

the promotion season,there weren't many bolton fans on the away end that day. we were in the main stand and if it wasn't for my dad showing his warrant card ,i think we would have been beaten up

Back in 1971/2 we played Port Vale in Burslem .They needed to beat us to have a chance of promotion ( we were already up ) .We were there in numbers but the day went toxic when JB stuck one in the top corner to make it 2-2 in possibly the fifth minute of injury time.Seconds later ref Rob Styles blew full time & all our fans piled onto the pitch including me to celebrate our promotion .As the ref left the pitch two bigs guys in donkey jackets appeared from nowhere & poleaxed the ref.( & I mean poleaxed) Obviously they were'nt our fans & by the time we got out of the ground we were on the wrong side of the stadium & had to battle our way through the subway & my mate got hit with a snooker ball ...happy days I was doing my best gentleman jim impression duck swing step back punch in other words get a bit of a kicking from the crombie clad rabble.....no class either but the snooker ball turned my mucker into a wild whirling dervish & he cleared a path through the bastards & we got through only slightly battered.

Edited by Take Hunt Off

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Back in 1971/2 we played Port Vale in Burslem .They needed to beat us to have a chance of promotion ( we were already up ) .We were there in numbers but the day went toxic when JB stuck one in the top corner to make it 2-2 in possibly the fifth minute of injury time.Seconds later ref Rob Styles blew full time & all our fans piled onto the pitch including me to celebrate our promotion .As the ref left the pitch two bigs guys in donkey jackets appeared from nowhere & poleaxed the ref.( & I mean poleaxed) Obviously they were'nt our fans & by the time we got out of the ground we were on the wrong side of the stadium & had to battle our way through the subway & my mate got hit with a snooker ball ...happy days I was doing my best gentleman jim impression duck swing step back punch in other words get a bit of a kicking from the crombie clad rabble.....no class either but the snooker ball turned my mucker into a wild whirling dervish & he cleared a path through the bastards & we got through only slightly battered.

Correct. That was in the Gordon Lee years.Their ball boys started time wasting from them being 2-1 up, even worse than ours do. When we got the equaliser one ball boy got mobbed by ours and his keks pulled down in jest. Not something I would condone, but funny as fuck at the time.

18 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

We had left by that time, my dad probably decided it was a good idea to get away before the throngs, heard the cheer when JB scored though. I think that was my 1st away game... I was 6 😊. What year did we beat Rochdale 4-0 away in the league Cup? 

Oct 73.

36 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

We had left by that time, my dad probably decided it was a good idea to get away before the throngs, heard the cheer when JB scored though. I think that was my 1st away game... I was 6 😊. What year did we beat Rochdale 4-0 away in the league Cup? 

I  remember one particular ball boy in front of our fans, he was about 16 or 17 with longish hair and flared jeans on - he was wasting time like fuck at 2-1 and was generally taking the piss.I seem to remember he received a smack or two at full time.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I seem to remember one particular ball boy in front of our fans, he was about 17 with longish hair and flared jeans on - he was wasting time like fuck at 2-1 and was generally taking the piss.I seem to remember he received a smack or two at full time.

That's the fellow.

My first away game with mates was Port Vale in 1983.  I had no idea where it was and assumed it was some quaint fishing village.  Kicked off that day too and has done every other time I've been there.

To be fair, for a piss poor outfit with no history, they do turn out for the big games.