Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Soccer Saturday Cull

dusan nikolic

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It woulsn't surprise me if they were aiming for a more diverse panel, but I think Le Tissier's recent tweets probably forced their hand, and then whilst they're getting rid of one they might as well get rid of the other deadwood.

Wanting a more diverse panel would indicate positive discrimination 

I’m against any discrimination personally 

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

Wanting a more diverse panel would indicate positive discrimination 

I’m against any discrimination personally 

It could equally, perhaps even more likely, be the case that they wanted to change a stale line-up. Thompson's been there for 22 years, and I'd have fucked Charlie Nicholas off ages ago as I'm not sure what he's contributing at all. 

It'd make sense, with all the changes in football in the last few years, that they'd want a panel of experts who played or have been involved in it more recently.

21 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It could equally, perhaps even more likely, be the case that they wanted to change a stale line-up. Thompson's been there for 22 years, and I'd have fucked Charlie Nicholas off ages ago as I'm not sure what he's contributing at all. 

It'd make sense, with all the changes in football in the last few years, that they'd want a panel of experts who played or have been involved in it more recently.

Agree it’s got a bit stale, but you could have said d that 5 years ago, why now? Maybe I’m naive 

If they put more females on then it hardly ticks the box of ‘wanting a panel of experts involved more recently’ which is what they should be doing for me  

Edited by birch-chorley

3 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Agree it’s got a bit stale, but you could have said d that 5 years ago, why now? Maybe I’m naive 

If they put more females on then it hardly ticks the box of ‘wanting a panel of experts involved more recently’ which is what they should be doing for me  

It would if it was Alex Scott.

16 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It would if it was Alex Scott.

Don’t have a clue who that is? Assuming female footballer? 

I don’t class them as someone more recently involved in Premier league / Championship football 

Given that’s what the Soccer Saturday pundits are commenting on 

4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Don’t have a clue who that is? Assuming female footballer? 

I don’t class them as someone more recently involved in Premier league / Championship football 

Given that’s what the Soccer Saturday pundits are commenting on 

She knows a lot more about it than Charlie Nicholas.

And I meant more involved in football generally. It's changed massively since Nicholas' and Thompson's day.

5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

She knows a lot more about it than Charlie Nicholas.

And I meant more involved in football generally. It's changed massively since Nicholas' and Thompson's day.

Don't have a clue who she is so I couldn’t comment 

Sure you could find someone down the pub who could talk a good game but not sure punditry would work the same if it was random people sitting on the sofa  

Tennis and athletics it tends to work better, but then again those Sports take place at the same time / event so your likely to watch both at the same time. Then the pundits are familiar 

Just watching the Tour De France highlights, both pundits have ridden the race previously (Boardman and Kenaugh), it gives them gravitas, they can relate to this event

Crow barring a women in to pundit on Premier League footy, might as well be someone from down the pub for me, no matter how much sense they talk 

Perhaps I should just watch more women’s football so they are more familiar. However, if I had more time to watch football it would probably be more Seria A or Bundesliga. On that note, it would feel odd seeing Paulo Maldini being a pundit on soccer Saturday, commenting on Premier league / Championship football. Stick him on BT Sport for Champions League night and it would make more sense to me 

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

And experience of winning stuff and playing at the highest level also sets up Steve McManaman as one the best

Not fer me

Zico, did you miss your own point made a few posts earlier?

14 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Like i already said, the best insightful pundits I've come across are journalists, probably because they can string a coherent sentence together

Some of the PLs best managers never played top level football

If you know your stuff, you know you're stuff