Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name The Ground

Zico

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Correct

Impressive size 

Apparently they never filled it

My friends dad told me about going there a few years ago and the giant terrace. I couldn't get my head around it they're not the first club that would come to mind when thinking about who might have had massive stadiums.

7 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

My friends dad told me about going there a few years ago and the giant terrace. I couldn't get my head around it they're not the first club that would come to mind when thinking about who might have had massive stadiums.

The terrace facing the main stand was still there in the early seventies, made the embankment look tiny. Very sparsely populated however.

FA cup 1-1 , Stuart Lee I think scored for us late on.

Hammered them in the replay 5-1 or 5-0.

Great Social club on the ground , actually missed the kick-off .

17 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

My dad lived down near Croydon in the 50s. If Bolton weren’t playing a London team and he was at a loose end he would go to watch Charlton. He used to stand on that massive terrace just because it was so huge. No other reason. Back in those days it was absolutely spectacular according to him

19 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

The terrace facing the main stand was still there in the early seventies, made the embankment look tiny. Very sparsely populated however.

11 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

My dad lived down near Croydon in the 50s. If Bolton weren’t playing a London team and he was at a loose end he would go to watch Charlton. He used to stand on that massive terrace just because it was so huge. No other reason. Back in those days it was absolutely spectacular according to him

Wonder what potential capacity it would have had, looks like it'd be about 80k!

2 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Wonder what potential capacity it would have had, looks like it'd be about 80k!

According to Google their record attendance is 75K. But ours is just shy of 70K. Have to think they could maybe have got more than 80K? Who knows when cash was king and attendances bore no relation to how many punters paid in!!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

I think it was the 72 3 promotion season, just before i started going

Almost certain it was 4 0 as i was watching for our results by then