leigh white

1 minute ago, leigh white said:

Russell Club/Factory, Hulme.

Went at least twice

i think me and Russ were the only white lads there 

Saw Dillinger and Culture

Brilliant nights. Loud.

Yep. Did there, Electric Circus and Band On The Wall back in the day

Saw The Buzzcocks, Magazine, Slaughter and the Dogs and a few other bands that possibly made it. Was only 15/16 and it was fucking terrifying in those venues at that age at that time. Wish I could say that I saw Joy Division. I might have done. They might have done 30 minutes but I don’t recall 

Only one I genuinely remember is Buzzcocks at Band on the Wall. Seem to remember it was just after they released Orgasm Addict?

Edit: Just googled it. Can’t have been I’d have been too young. Must have been after they released Love Bites

Edited by MancWanderer

32 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Saw The Buzzcocks, Magazine, Slaughter and the Dogs and a few other bands that possibly made it. Was only 15/16 and it was fucking terrifying in those venues at that age at that time. Wish I could say that I saw Joy Division. I might have done. They might have done 30 minutes but I don’t recall 

Only one I genuinely remember is Buzzcocks at Band on the Wall. Seem to remember it was just after they released Orgasm Addict?

Edit: Just googled it. Can’t have been I’d have been too young. Must have been after they released Love Bites

Missed the Circus, but went the Ranch, Rafters and Belle Vue, to see some upcoming bands.

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Yeh Joy Division supported Buzzcocks for one of their UK tours, i think it was Autumn 1978 that i saw them both at Blackburn King Georges Hall - Still got the ticket somewhere, £2 entry.Happy days

24 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Russell club, never been or went, I now work 2 minutes away from where it was, Hulme is unrecognisable from what it was 15/20 years ago, it now probably consist of one bar called 'Kim by the Sea', accross frombthe Junction, which still sits there but derelict, Hulme Garden Centre, Asda and the Zion Centre still remain.

Read about the club in Tony Wilson's and Peter Hooks autobiographies along with other various Hacienda related books. 

I lived in Whalley Range on Stanley road 15 years ago. Does Mutley laugh

13 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh Joy Division supported Buzzcocks for one of their UK tours, i think it was Autumn 1978 that i saw them both at Blackburn King Georges Hall - Still got the ticket somewhere, £2 entry.Happy days

Bleak times in the late 70s under Labour, it was the greatest time of my life, never seen so many gigs and watching Bolton home and away.

3 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Bleak times in the late 70s under Labour, it was the greatest time of my life, never seen so many gigs and watching Bolton home and away.

Maybe it’s rose tinted spectacles but late 70s was best time of my life by far

Music - punk, ska, Motörhead at BIT, AC/DC at Manc Apollo just before Bon Scott carked it

Footy - the Greaves era with my Dad. Beats the Allardyce era by a country mile. Frank at Ewood and OT. Not one of the European games comes close. It’s an age thing perhaps?

Boozing in Bolton - Howcroft, Lower Nags, Sweet Green, Swan Cellar

Tough times but nobody moaned. Nobody properly fell out. We were Bolton. We looked out for each other. Unless it was Saturday afternoon on the Town Hall Square when it was Mods vs Rockers 😀

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

It was, I got a couple of tickets from King Georges Hall, Stranglets and Elvis Costello, like you say, gigs were cheap, think they were both around £2.20, they did gigs to sell the records, now it's the other way round.

Ha ha, it makes me laugh going to the Apollo watching the Stranglers in 78 for a bit over the odds than the underground clubs in Manc at the time, then going last year and seeing them at the same place for about £ 50.

19 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I thought they were great days Mick. What i wouldn’t give to be watching Frank Worthy at Burnden on a Saturday afternoon, followed by a Jam/Buzzcocks/Clash gig in Manc or Blackburn. I know the economy was bleak & unemployment high etc, but there was still plenty of fun to be had for a young lad.

7 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Maybe it’s rose tinted spectacles but late 70s was best time of my life by far

Music - punk, ska, Motörhead at BIT, AC/DC at Manc Apollo just before Bon Scott carked it

Footy - the Greaves era with my Dad. Beats the Allardyce era by a country mile. Frank at Ewood and OT. Not one of the European games comes close. It’s an age thing perhaps?

Boozing in Bolton - Howcroft, Lower Nags, Sweet Green, Swan Cellar

Tough times but nobody moaned. Nobody properly fell out. We were Bolton. We looked out for each other. Unless it was Saturday afternoon on the Town Hall Square when it was Mods vs Rockers 😀

John at the Swan Cellar must have the most amazing record collection ever, he had " Sex & Drugs & Rock n Roll " by Ian Dury for his parting song before leaving before the record was released in 77.

9 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I thought they were great days Mick. What i wouldn’t give to be watching Frank Worthy at Burnden on a Saturday afternoon, followed by a Jam/Buzzcocks/Clash gig in Manc or Blackburn. I know the economy was bleak & unemployment high etc, but there was still plenty of fun to be had for a young lad.

I know, but we managed it. I was on shite wages at the time but loved the buzz of that era.

• Members
On 01/01/2021 at 07:02, MancWanderer said:

'69 - '75 it was Mods/Skins v Rockers/Greasers/Grebo's everywhere and anywhere! Moor Lane, Astley Bridge, Harwood, Bradshaw, up Rivvy - basically everywhere we encountered each other.

Other than that, everything else in the above is correct. Some might know Alfie C who was always with us and in the thick of the action on the terraces wearing that god awful fringed leather jacket and other diabolical paraphernalia that those strange fuckers perceived as 'style'. Grand lad though - just don't tell him I said that!

Was still at school late 70s (left 1980) but as you say great days, had been a Swan cellar regular whilst 14-15 year old as were many others and i think Mick Quo was actually younger than me.

Saw a lot of the gigs mentioned in earlier posts, AC/DC with bon Scott, scorpions at Free Trade Hall, Buzzcocks at Blackburn but not the Joy Division one (shit gig, too much aggro), Stranglers, Rush.

Who remembers the gig that never happened at Silverwell st?  Think the Selector were headline act but never went on, loads of aggro on Manny rd.

Also around this time of year there was a strike by some fuel supply co to school heating and got a few extra weeks off after Christmas, happy days.

Salford jets at the Aquarius, Bangin!.

On 31/12/2020 at 23:21, leigh white said:

I know, but we managed it. I was on shite wages at the time but loved the buzz of that era.

You’ve nailed it the buzz was something else nothing was sanitised, everything in full glorious technicolour, football, music, friends aplenty running wild playing out & family life was joyous, WTF happened!