Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt in or out

33 minutes ago, Horwich said:

A load of folk wanted David Lee as manager 🙄

Evatt wasnt my first choice, but he is a different one.

Few Cardiff arent happy with Mick McCarthy as manager. Its the usual kind of appointment on the manager merry go round.

McCarthy is a poor appointment. There aren’t a lot of good managers about though

4 minutes ago, tomski said:

Don’t think we will go down? Struth

Not sure what you're saying tbh tomski.  I assume you think we'll go down?  Different opinions are allowed.  With a couple of improvements to the team (Lee, John maybe) I think we'll get enough wins.  

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

Based on what? Certainly not his track record

McCarthy has built 3 clubs for relegation

sunderland

wolves 

ipswich

i can’t remember if he was in charge when they dropped but he certainly did his bit.

Has done well in other situations obviously but I don’t think you can call him a good manager.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure what you're saying tbh tomski.  I assume you think we'll go down?  Different opinions are allowed.  With a couple of improvements to the team (Lee, John maybe) I think we'll get enough wins.  

I’m pointing out it’s embarrassing how far we have fallen that it’s even a conversation. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, tomski said:

McCarthy has built 3 clubs for relegation

sunderland

wolves 

ipswich

i can’t remember if he was in charge when they dropped but he certainly did his bit.

Has done well in other situations obviously but I don’t think you can call him a good manager.

I would

took Millwall to the play offs in the Championship, don't think they've done that since

he got Ireland to the WC last 16 and very unlucky to not reach the quarters, and after their best player fucked them off at the last minute

Sunderland promoted with 94 points, but then not given any backing to keep them up

took Wolves up to PL with kids and freebies, then kept them up, twice

got Ipswich in play offs for first time in 10 years

like with all managers, things don't go well for ever but he's always delivered on expectations, and in some cases surpassed them

he's certainly not a poor appointment/manager

Edited by ZicoKelly

18 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I would

took Millwall to the play offs in the Championship, don't think they've done that since

he got Ireland to the WC last 16 and very unlucky to not reach the quarters, and after their best player fucked them off at the last minute

Sunderland promoted with 94 points, but then not given any backing to keep them up

took Wolves up to PL with kids and freebies, then kept them up, twice

got Ipswich in play offs for first time in 10 years

like with all managers, things don't go well for ever but he's always delivered on expectations, and in some cases surpassed them

he's certainly not a poor appointment/manager

Will agree to disagree. For me he belongs on that conveyor belt of shite like Pardew, Pulis, Moyes etc. 

Just want to put something out there to get other folks views ......

Just when we thought our season was up and running and Evatt got manager of the month at the end of November  - it sort of came crashing down - from the home game v Port Vale onwards , and our recent form as others have mentioned is up there with the worst in the division

This more or less coincided with the announcement of the departure of Tobias Phoenix 

Is this just a Coincidence ?  or is there something in this ? and if so what ? 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Just when we thought our season was up and running and Evatt got manager of the month at the end of November  - it sort of came crashing down - from the home game v Port Vale onwards , and our recent form as others have mentioned is up there with the worst in the division

This more or less coincided with the announcement of the departure of Tobias Phoenix 

I think we are too light on backroom staff, Evatts having to do too much and probably not doing anything as well as it should be done.

Not sure TP was the right man but we do need some experience in the backroom

15 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Have said it before and am not claiming it to be the turn in form back either but I did not understand the clamour for when Phoenix went.

8 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

As RW says, that's not for us.

When you leave a relationship you don't know what's coming next, you pull the plug because it isn't working for whatever reason.

And as for the inexperience defence, did FV really say let's get a someone in with no experience so we can be 17th going in to Feb??, a point above a club in their first year in league football. Did they fuck.

And tbh, this debate has shown one thing, IE has divided the fans which is never gonna end well.

But again, no one has given any defence of 'why' he should be given time, only the hope it may come good.

No one had defended his tactics, man management or player acquisition. The guy needs gone ASAP. 

Difficult to comment on recruitment given the confusion over who’s an Evatt signing and who’s Phoenix - but I think there’s a foundation there to build from - Gilks, Santos, Lee, Tutte, Doyle. Obviously GK needs to be revisited at the start of the season, but that group have shown they’re capable of  performing to the required level.

When we were playing 352 it was obvious what the plan was and we seemed to be growing into it, dominating games and creating chances. Everything fell away with the Tutte injury initially but we never got the momentum back.

What I’d like to see is two decent wing backs added (maybe Jackson is one) and a return to that system.

If we were trying to play long ball and grind out results I’d have less patience, but if this clicks we may actually get some entertainment, it’s worth persevering with.

• Site Supporter

No matter what formation we've employed this season it hasn't been one set up to get the best out of our main goal threat & 3-5-2 was at times 3-7-0 with Doyle dropping back so deep to get involved. 

I'd suggest 4-5-1 with 2 wide men & midfielders trying to get in beyond Doyle but there's at least 2 obvious problems with that. 🤔

• Moderators
7 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

I'm not in the Evatt out camp, but he does need to get his signings right in the next few days, if FV did get twitchy  though, my pick would be Nigel Adkins.

Good to see someone finally giving their alternative

20 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I think there is a slightly bigger issue here and the naming of a successor is just a minor diversion given whats at stake

If matters dont improve soon we face the prospect of being caught up in a relegation dog fight - FACT

And some of us doubt the players have the resilience to cope with the pressure and Evatt the ability to  turn the situation around

Therefore the relevant question is at what point do FV who would never in their most pessimistic of plans and projections had relegation as even a discussion point let alone a possibility, at what point do they press the nuclear button and look to save not only the clubs League status but potentially from a financial point of view the very  club they have bought into ?

If you and anyone else are saying blind loyalty to Evatt overrides the prospect of playing in the National League then I think you are seriously misguided

Personally I think he has about 5 winless games before the nuclear option is on the table and becomes a serious possibility 

Correct.

13 hours ago, Naughtynakata said:

Difficult to comment on recruitment given the confusion over who’s an Evatt signing and who’s Phoenix - but I think there’s a foundation there to build from - Gilks, Santos, Lee, Tutte, Doyle. Obviously GK needs to be revisited at the start of the season, but that group have shown they’re capable of  performing to the required level.

When we were playing 352 it was obvious what the plan was and we seemed to be growing into it, dominating games and creating chances. Everything fell away with the Tutte injury initially but we never got the momentum back.

What I’d like to see is two decent wing backs added (maybe Jackson is one) and a return to that system.

If we were trying to play long ball and grind out results I’d have less patience, but if this clicks we may actually get some entertainment, it’s worth persevering with.

Gilks isn’t a foundation to build on, he won’t start next season in goal. Lee has to prove his fitness, big question mark over him that leaves 3. 

15 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Can’t say fairer than appointing the manager who, the previous season, romped the division below on limited resources whilst playing an attractive style of football. So many of the big names would be absolutely clueless in League Two. 

Playing devils advocate Would that be a argument for keeping him on if he took us down ? . Not many managers available would know the division and actually had won it 🤪

11 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

I'm not in the Evatt out camp, but he does need to get his signings right in the next few days, if FV did get twitchy  though, my pick would be Nigel Adkins.

I'd forgotten about Adkins (I suppose that's what happens to out of work managers), he was my choice pre-Evatt.

Yes I was more than happy with Evatt and as pleased as anyone at the time, but before I'd heard of him and we did the next manager voting I was 1 of the 2 that voted for Adkins.  I still don't understand how he was so low in the votes, with for eg Ricketts getting 23 times more.