Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge (H)

Eddie

• Members
30 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Yebbut Rudy, the rest of them understand that Evatt’s policy is not to give the ball away.

He needs to get this into his head before spraying 40 yds speculative passes.

Probably why he doesn’t start. 2-0 Sarc needed resting MM goes into the 10 spot, don’t change too much when it’s 2-0

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

do you have the goals and interviews yet ?

only heard their manager ,who says we are the best they have seen all season

blowing smoke !!!

I've posted Evatt's interview.

I don't think they're allowed to post the highlights till they've been on the telly. 

I just post links to the youtube videos. I'm not involved in them.

Edited by Cheese

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

I've posted Evatt's interview.

I don't think they're allowed to post the highlights till they've been on the telly. 

a good night tonight  ,looking forward to seeing the goals maybe not so much the Gilks mistake that loaded the pressure on the defence

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

a good night tonight  ,looking forward to seeing the goals maybe not so much the Gilks mistake that loaded the pressure on the defence

Maddison hadn’t played much first team games for a while and I suppose Evatt has persuaded him to come here with the promise of game time .So what does Evatt do ,keep playing him while playing crap until he comes good, or leave him out altogether? Evatt winning me over now,I trust him to work it out .

28 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Probably why he doesn’t start. 2-0 Sarc needed resting MM goes into the 10 spot, don’t change too much when it’s 2-0

But he did change things, Maddison was wide and Delf goes in the middle.

If the sub was to rest Sarc, I would bring on Thomason or Tutte. If the sub is to give Maddison game time swap for Delf. 

End of the day we have won which is all that matters, hopefully the 30 minutes rest means we get another performance like tonight from Sarc. On Saturday. Then we are into a period of one game a week as others catch up and if lucky we get the starting XI tonight as the basis going forward as fatigue and niggles are less of an issue. 

34 minutes ago, lofthouse said:

Maddison hadn’t played much first team games for a while and I suppose Evatt has persuaded him to come here with the promise of game time .So what does Evatt do ,keep playing him while playing crap until he comes good, or leave him out altogether? Evatt winning me over now,I trust him to work it out .

my thoughts exactually

I thought that was superb, thoroughly enjoyable game, yet more development as a team, creating far more chances which were very well worked and would have caused teams levels above us difficulties.  Not sure what Dapo has to do to score at the moment but he was a real threat most of tonight. Doyle had a great game tonight and back to what we had seen 4 or 5 weeks back, could have had 3 but wouldn't say wasteful as they were difficult chances, but he took his goal well. Great finish by Sarce as well. 

Mistake by Gilks was unfortunate and made last 10 minutes uncomfortable,  looked like he took his eye off the ball as was looking up to see where he might release it too, it happens, it was a fluke, we move on. 

But really like seeing our progression and development week in week out at the moment,  and the manager and players all seem to be on board, are together and wanting to achieve great things. It really is a shift from the last 10 years we have endured, enjoy it, we deserve it.

Maddison needs time that’s all, if he scores for us in a play-off final he’s a hero.  The tactical substitutions have worked well in the last few weeks and Maddison is part of that, yes he did look a bit out of sorts, but the team performance was amazing and I don’t think anyone wanted a change in play, it would of been hard to bring any player off the bench without the rhythm changing a little.

• Members

We control the game, we control the tempo, pace, intensity it’s all us. 
Everyone knows their role, everyone knows where their teammates are, how they want the ball, their positions at corners, set pieces. 
IE has to take absolute massive credit. The management of this team is superb, we haven’t had a organised, thorough coach and staff like this since BSA.

Hes not just picking an XI and saying right off you pop, don’t concede oh and try to win. There’s a real game plan, there’s tactics , a game plan, a plan b, when to press, when to hold off. I know for a fact opposition are being thoroughly scouted and our team is picked up to expose their weaknesses. 

Of course the players need a lot of credit, but I think IE was under pressure to sign the right players and get them playing, not once did the board come out and say trust him, the silence was their belief. 

IE if you’re reading this you’re alright by me luv x

32 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Everyone knows their role, everyone knows where their teammates are, how they want the ball, their positions at corners, set pieces. 
IE has to take absolute massive credit. The management of this team is superb, we haven’t had a organised, thorough coach and staff like this since BSA.

Hes not just picking an XI and saying right off you pop, don’t concede oh and try to win. There’s a real game plan, there’s tactics , a game plan, a plan b, when to press, when to hold off. I know for a fact opposition are being thoroughly scouted and our team is picked up to expose their weaknesses. 

Of course the players need a lot of credit, but I think IE was under pressure to sign the right players and get them playing, not once did the board come out and say trust him, the silence was their belief. 

Agree on this. We now have an identity again, something that has been missing for so so long.

Plus, to do this from almost nothing and to achieve it in the time frame is, in my view quite remarkable.  Yes we were all unhappy with the start, mistakes were made which may still ultimately cost us, but to get from where we were before IE joined to here after watching the last few weeks of this team, quite astonishing. Ultimately the judgements will be made on where we finish, but the effort that has been put in should not be underestimated.

• Site Supporter

I was one who said a while ago that if IE dragged us into a relegation battle then his job would've been untenable. I now have to say that the transformation since then has been incredible. 

We have never had a better January transfer window, real quality added in vital positions and confidence is soaring. I have to add that as much as our signings have improved us a huge factor has been the form of Baptiste since he moved to centre half. 

Promotion is a strong possibility now & hopefully will happen but for now it's just fantastic to have a team that is enjoyable to watch. 

Take a bow Mr Evatt. 

• Members
25 minutes ago, Cartman2932 said:

Agree on this. We now have an identity again, something that has been missing for so so long.

Plus, to do this from almost nothing and to achieve it in the time frame is, in my view quite remarkable.  Yes we were all unhappy with the start, mistakes were made which may still ultimately cost us, but to get from where we were before IE joined to here after watching the last few weeks of this team, quite astonishing. Ultimately the judgements will be made on where we finish, but the effort that has been put in should not be underestimated.

Abs that’s the thing mistakes will be made, individually abs collectively, we’ll have poor games and off days, mistakes get made, it’s how we respond to them. 
Gilks made a shocker, no one will be more upset about it than him, but the team rallied  and thought hey cmon let’s get back to controlling this game. 

On Gilks as well, he has a mistake in I’m but his claiming and catching of balls is so reassuring, not to mention his distribution was brilliant 

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, Rudy said:

IE has to take absolute massive credit. The management of this team is superb, we haven’t had a organised, thorough coach and staff like this since BSA

And add to that Sharon, showing the faith and commitment in January to back him. I also wonder what the impact of getting rid of the old boys network has had. Maybe as we saw pre-December and as a few of us said on here, this was always about time recovering from massive changes and starting again. It wasn’t just going to happen overnight. 

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

He really does come across as a good lad as well as having a major influence  on the pitch. He kind of sneaked under the radar with the signing of MM, but he has well and truly put himself at the forefront of everything that’s good about us at the moment. Would love to get him signed up. 

2 hours ago, Cartman2932 said:

I thought that was superb, thoroughly enjoyable game, yet more development as a team, creating far more chances which were very well worked and would have caused teams levels above us difficulties.  Not sure what Dapo has to do to score at the moment but he was a real threat most of tonight. Doyle had a great game tonight and back to what we had seen 4 or 5 weeks back, could have had 3 but wouldn't say wasteful as they were difficult chances, but he took his goal well. Great finish by Sarce as well. 

Mistake by Gilks was unfortunate and made last 10 minutes uncomfortable,  looked like he took his eye off the ball as was looking up to see where he might release it too, it happens, it was a fluke, we move on. 

But really like seeing our progression and development week in week out at the moment,  and the manager and players all seem to be on board, are together and wanting to achieve great things. It really is a shift from the last 10 years we have endured, enjoy it, we deserve it.

Good summary. It feels like our patience is being rewarded. The good times are back. 

If we don't go up this season then we'll go up next season, probably with 100+ points & 100+ goals- IF we can keep the bulk of this team together. Last night was quality the way we swept aside a team 2nd in the division, if it had finished 5-1 Cambridge couldn't have had any complaints - they were ripped to shreds for 70 mins.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

How to keep Evatt might become an issue