Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge (A)

burnden

1 minute ago, only1swanny said:

Quite liking him from what I've seen. Runs round  and gets into space,  more of a forward than a striker, 

Clearly up for the game even to the point where he was fetching the ball to avoid time wasting. 

Would love to see him start uptop. 

Agreed, I forgot about that, he was re-spotting for that bloody annoying keeper

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Fairly balanced on here generally compared to elsewhere. 

I was discussing Gethin Jones at H/T gets into a lot of great positions but his delivery was woeful yesterday. A bit like the Lincoln game we had lots of possession but hardly worked the keeper. Unlike others I have no issue playing the ball out from the back but once Baptiste came on was less happy as he does not look comfortable doing it. 

The issue for me was decision making in the final 3rd but as second top scorers in the division not sure we need massive changes. With Comely and Crawford being shown the door hopefully we get the right ones in as well. 

For a promoted team we have made a very solid start and with a few small tweaks things will improve. Support was 100% by us 

Sheehan to, corner's etc weren't great, to deep of down keepers throat?

3 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Speaking of seeing people

let on to Micky he just walked past me😀

Seen so many folk yesterday fair few off here and some from years back love away days 

Great to see a coach full of all the old boys still at it. Big Clive and Denbo etc

4 hours ago, L/H White said:

Great to see you pal

Yes, mate, really good to see you after such a long time.

Support was immense again yesterday, plenty of encouragement all round.

Reading some comments on here puzzle me, though. I don't see how a new striker changes that result much. We don't create anything like enough for Doyle, who is a decent lower league strikers. Lower league strikers don't convert every chance they get, but we're just not creating enough.

Our possession play is excellent, we get into some great positions, we just lack a little composure when it comes to delivering that final ball and we can be a bit too cautious in our approach making our attacks look pedestrian at times.

But I wasn't disappointed at the effort yesterday and we've made a good start to the season in my book.

Spoke to some of their fans after the game and I suggested that whilst it was great for them to get 3pts the surely they can't enjoy watching that version of Parky-ball. They said they didn't really enjoy it, but it was necessary against us, because if they played an open game, we'd batter them.

Sometimes, you've just got to take that.

1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

Quite liking him from what I've seen. Runs round  and gets into space,  more of a forward than a striker, 

Clearly up for the game even to the point where he was fetching the ball to avoid time wasting. 

Would love to see him start uptop. 

Tbh I thought he was a little static at times. Stood on the touch line waiting for the ball so was taking it standing still. Finding the full backs in this league leave a lot of space in behind, but for some reason we don’t have anyone who fancies just knocking it round them and backing themselves in a foot race.

Had a good spot on the terrace right on the goal line. Quite like how we seem to be having a different view of the game every week so get to see things from a different perspective. Seemed all too keen to try and float balls to the back post rather than hitting it across the face of goal and hoping for a touch.

Ended up in The Alexandra all night, tucked away not too far from the ground. Far too many pending transactions for my liking, but a cracking night all the same. Still in Cambridge yet but rather glad that I’ve booked a nice hotel in Warwickshire rather than drive all the way home with a hangover. 

2 hours ago, Dimron said:

Kachunga came on and we didn't play the ball to him, surely part of the plan to substitute must be to change the game?

From my elevated position, I thought his positional play was pretty good with lots of good movement. Watched him running into spaces as he ended up looking for the ball rather than being played into the game by his team mates.

Absolutely, the service he recieved when he came on was shite , and when they did get the ball to his feet he had 2 men on him.

4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

A little bit like the Grimsby performance last season, confident Evatt will sort it. Incoming striker please. 

I was thinking the same, equally frustrating.  Newport away too, a lot of possession, nothing to show for it.  Last 2nd half equaliser was Exeter, sometimes think we're too deliberate and the current players don't have the mentality (or ability?) to shoot from distance and maybe get lucky with a defection or rebound.  And the freakish lack of attacking headers from our centre backs at set pieces doesn't help, sometimes you just need a scruffy goal and we lack them at the moment.

• Site Supporter

Bakayoko would have made a difference up top, a bit of pace and power running directly at them.

Crossing was woeful. We had so many good situations but created next best thing to zilch.

We aren’t going up or down this season so can’t get too upset.

ER got a piece of my mind at Kings Cross too on the way home

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Speaking of seeing people

let on to Micky he just walked past me😀

Seen so many folk yesterday fair few off here and some from years back love away days 

Apologies, it wasn’t a slight on my behalf, it was probably an Aldi pack of Stella haze.

meanwhile, talking of corner takers, Gilks was firing some in to Dixon as part of their warm up. I reckon he could teach the likes of Sheehan a thing or two about where they need to be placed.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Spoke to some of their fans after the game and I suggested that whilst it was great for them to get 3pts the surely they can't enjoy watching that version of Parky-ball. They said they didn't really enjoy it, but it was necessary against us, because if they played an open game, we'd batter them.

Sometimes, you've just got to take that.

A very good point there. Last season, after we played them off the park at home, their manager said how good we were and that if we continued in the same manner, we'd go up. 

He clearly did his homework and worked out a method the nullify us.

I reckon Evatt has also realised we need alternatives: Bakayoko is just that, but unfortunately we'll have to do without him for a while. 

Definitely need to improve supply to whoever is up top though.

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I'm not getting the Grimsby comparison, they could have put 10 past us that day, Cambridge never really got anywhere near our box, however when they did, they made it count, goals win matches, we've not scored in 180 minutes, which is a worry 😏

Point taken Grimsby were worthy winners and 5 wouldn't have flattered them, but the similarity was that we couldn't make the most of the possession we did have (57% according to stats; 8 corners against their 5; 14 shots without really looking like scoring till injury time).  13 shots yesterday and only 1 on target is a concern, not so much the not scoring as not asking their keeper to stretch himself.  It will come, Sheehan a definite step in the right direction in the creative department.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, MickyD said:

Le coc sportif or some other sports brand?

you were stood behind me if so. Problem is, all I have to go on as a descriptor is from on here; young lad, mixed race. Very difficult to walk up to a random lad of mixed race and ask, “Are you Rudy?” I nearly did.

Course you can 

The odds are in your favour 

Back in the early rivals days before anyone knew anyone smiley would go up and down trains back from the match randomly asking "are you Brixton?" "Are you widness?" etc

• Members
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Course you can 

The odds are in your favour 

Back in the early rivals days before anyone knew anyone smiley would go up and down trains back from the match randomly asking "are you Brixton?" "Are you widness?" etc

That’s how I met no balls, Blackpool away went up to this short arse lass with big jahoobs and said are you no balls. Who then introduced me to gonzo Smiffs and maybe garp or gonk I can’t remember I was smashed 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Rudy said:

That’s how I met no balls, Blackpool away went up to this short arse lass with big jahoobs and said are you no balls. Who then introduced me to gonzo Smiffs and maybe garp or gonk I can’t remember I was smashed 

Right, first mixed race lad I see in Ipswich or Portsmouth gets asked. I might be slightly more cryptic though and just mention Bolton Babe.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Right, first mixed race lad I see in Ipswich or Portsmouth gets asked. I might be slightly more cryptic though and just mention Bolton Babe.

Look for the one with a nicely titted blonde lass in a nurse's uniform in tow 🙂