Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wiggin Home

Steejay

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Say what you like. I hate the cunts! 

Any local team is a 'rival' for me.

That said, so are some others, like Wolves. 

Really wanted a performance and result yesterday, but didn't expect one. We're not ripping trees up at home.

That would have hurt against anyone, but it feels worse against a local team.

Went out earlier, and my lad was talking about the area we were in and mentioned Wigan Road.

I told him not to say that word!😄

4 hours ago, DaisyHWanderer said:

Disagree. Like it or not these are our rivals, naive to think otherwise

I agree, obviously the old thing about which side of Bolton someone comes from seem to dictate who they consider to be rivals still exists but in the here and now and after seeing & hearing the scenes from Bolton Station pre game, on the train, the game itself, afterwards and (sad as it sounds) what you see on twitter, they are our biggest rivals right now whether we like it or not.

They absolutely hate us, our young lot absolutely hate them it's been festering and on the brink for years and yesterday they showed up in big, loud, confident numbers. The away game is massive for the team and the fans now, and I'd be shocked if its a Saturday 3pm.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

As for it being a rivalry

To my lad, they are currently the team that annoy him the most. He has some mates that are Wigan fans (I've told him to drop them) and we do find ourselves crossing swords with them fairly often these days.

For me personally, I see them as a non league team just punching above their weight.

They don't annoy me in a big way or generate the same levels of repulsion that the likes of Liverpool, Manyoo, Wolves, Blackburn and Birkenhead do.

All I've seen on Twitter etc this last 12 hours are Wigan fans still angry about us even though they just won 4-0.

We will be forever under their skin. They will think about us every day and grind their teeth.

Because they will never be anything close to the football club we are.

After this post my thoughts are already on Plymouth and how BWFC turn around a rather average few weeks.

They don't matter. Just a conference club that had a creepy old supporter with a broken leg. I mean that.

Well summarised. They’d have nothing if it wasn’t for us. 

14 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I hear ya, no I don’t think you are over reacting to be honest.

From my own personal point of view, I’m happy to accept mid table this season while the club recovers from a shambolic decade.

Am I happy to write off days like today? No absolutely not. I’m realistic though, we don’t have fortunes. These days will happen a few more times yet.

Its going to take at least 18 months imo until we are ready to challenge for promotion. Rome wasn’t built in a day - but it got there. We’re lucky to have FV and Evatt. We’ll be in the championship by 2024/25 season at the latest

Well said, good points.  I found the over optimism from some on here, not to mention IE, just setting us up for a fall.  It was very difficult to beat any league 2 team last season, the reason we won all those games by an odd goal is that we were only slightly better than them on the day generally, not to mention a bit of luck thrown in at times (I'm still grateful that Morecambe player decided to get himself sent off).  Mid table in this league with virtually the same team is fantastic.  My heart skips a beat whenever I think back to pre-March.  Until the next window, when we hopefully sign a league one goalscorer or 2, we need to just not be in a relegation fight.

17 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Whether we like it or not, unfortunately we have a rivalry.

They hate us as much as Bury hated us, good on them, I find it refreshing that some clubs hate us more than they hate other clubs, or we are their most hated.

Unfortunately for them it's not reciprocal on our part.

Err it is for many, i’m not ‘youth’ - far from it,but i hate the fuckers with a passion.

56 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

We have no main rivals not like Blackburn v burnley or Newcastle v Sunderland etc 

we have rivalries as we go up & down leagues and no doubt we’re very hated by some 

Sort of agree really, in my lifetime I couldn’t say who our “main” rival is.

People on here saying Wigan aren’t our rivals but Man Utd are.

If that’s the line of thinking then we are to Man Utd what Wigan are to us, if the rivalry truly isn’t reciprocal with Wigan.

I do think it’s generational too though as over the last decade Wigan are probably the team we’ve been closest to and maybe had the most games against. Coupled with both sets of fans laughing at each other for relegations and administration. 

I respect Blackburn and Preston as clubs more than Wigan which is what makes results like yesterday more painful for me.

I do think Wigan hate us more than we hate them but currently they are the closest thing we have to main rivals, in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Sort of agree really, in my lifetime I couldn’t say who our “main” rival is.

People on here saying Wigan aren’t our rivals but Man Utd are.

If that’s the line of thinking then we are to Man Utd what Wigan are to us, if the rivalry truly isn’t reciprocal with Wigan.

I do think it’s generational too though as over the last decade Wigan are probably the team we’ve been closest to and maybe had the most games against. Coupled with both sets of fans laughing at each other for relegations and administration. 

I respect Blackburn and Preston as clubs more than Wigan which is what makes results like yesterday more painful for me.

I do think Wigan hate us more than we hate them but currently they are the closest thing we have to main rivals, in my opinion.

Totally

Been to many charged games against all north west sides and yesterday was up there without doubt but so was the Friday game when Blackburn ripped us 

the United thing is laughable IMO people get confused between hating and being a rival

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

We have no main rivals not like Blackburn v burnley or Newcastle v Sunderland etc 

we have rivalries as we go up & down leagues and no doubt we’re very hated by some 

I'd have agreed with that a few years ago

I hate ManU but considering them as rivals is just ridiculous. Same with Bury.  The disparity between the 2 clubs in either scenario, just prevents it imo.

Blackburn would be perfect. Similar size club, support and history and next door geographically but they have Burnley.

Wigan are our closest rivals imo. Close geographically, much smaller in terms of history and support but they've been in similar divisions to us over the last 30 years and kids in Tyldesley, Atherton, Leigh, who years gone by would have followed us if they didnt go to the red scum, are now more likely to go there. 

Plus, they're cunts.

Football hatred & rivalry are different things, you can't be rivals with someone you don't play, but my hatred is towards man utd. I can cope with Manc/Salford munichs, but have nothing but contempt for out of town munichs & still absolutely despise Bolton munichs.

It's almost certainly an age thing, Wiggin were a non league team for my early years watching football  & still hardly register with me unless we're playing them, but for younger post Reebok fans they probably feel like a local rival.

I hated yesterday but no more than getting gubbed at home by anyone else who have a lot of fans celebrating on our patch. 

Supporters of neither Manc club round here see us as rivals. We don’t register with the united lot. Massives seem to hate us after the Richard Dunne handball game. The Oldham yonners despise us - think that’s way back to the mid 70s

Rivals for me have always been Blackburn, Blackpool and Preston but they have obvious bigger rivals

Only two clubs I genuinely despise are the pie eaters and the plastic bindippers from The Wirral

How can they be classed as our rivals when they was only elected into the football league in 1978 and, correct me if I’m wrong, we’ve spent more time in the top league than outside it?    Makes no sense at all, it’s only in the last few years our youth have decided to allow them to be, surely they’re not worthy of it.

To be honest I can't be arsed with them and this "rivalry' at all. Too old for all this aggravation. Saturday was shit in so many ways and not all of it on the pitch. The behaviour of large numbers of our lot and theirs is just embarrassing. Getting to stage where away fans will be banned for this fixture its turned into Scrote Central.