Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Yorkshire County Cricket Club

deane koontz

2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

This is from Sky. 
If you see a reply to Sky Sports posts and/or content with an expression of hate on the basis of race, sex, colour, gender, nationality, ethnicity, disability, religion, sexuality, age or class, please copy the URL to the hateful post and screengrab it and email us 

Remember this when you post. It’s always there. 

Sky must think it’s alright to call people fat/lanky/skinny/spotty/ginger/smelly/bald cunts 

• Site Supporter

Anyone on here ever referred mockingly to a Scottish, Welsh, Irish, French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, American or Australian person?

Let he who is without sin….

Theyre coming for us all, eventually.

Hazy lines everywhere.

A person calling someone a black c*nt is a racist.

A person having japes over nationalities probably isn’t.

But there’s enough of a grey area for righteous wankers to get their fucking beaks into for a heart on Twitter.

I despise racism. But it’s also possible to despise cunts just looking for a reason to signal online virtue.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter

Why not stop all competition?

Why are England taking on Albanians? It’s inherently racist if you want it to be. Why should one nation seek superiority over another, dude?

Common sense has left the building and been shot into space.

• Members
4 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Cricket is the best sport in the world. 
The problems highlighted on here could be applied to any sport. Looking at the England Cricket team over the last few years and even now, it’s the most diverse Cricket team in the world. 

Top level cricket is.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

If cricket was all like this stuff that's been on recently I could watch an hour in the pub, but three day, or five day matches, no thanks.

How can anything last 5 days and still be a draw ?

That's what is so great about a test match. Can swing one way then another, good captaincy and tactics, and fine athleticism. 

Can sometimes be boring, others it's simply sensational. The "Stokes" test in the last ashes was incredible. 

Football can be dull too, even if it's only 90 minutes.

It's what players bring to it.

4 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

If cricket was all like this stuff that's been on recently I could watch an hour in the pub, but three day, or five day matches, no thanks.

5 day cricket is the pinnacle of sport.

4 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

The best days cricket I ever saw was the Ashes Test at Old Trafford in 2005. On the 4th day, Sunday, I said to my youngest “fancy a day off school to watch the cricket”? 
We arrived at 7am as my wife dropped us off because she was on an early shift. There were hundreds there already. They don’t sell tickets in advance for the 5th day.

We got in but estimates say that 20,000 plus didn’t. 
At tea, all three results were still possible. As it happened , it was a draw. The Aussies celebrated like they had won. We were gutted. I knew then that we would win the Ashes. We did.

If people don’t get it, fine. For me it’s the best.

On 06/11/2021 at 18:56, BobyBrno said:

This is from Sky. 
If you see a reply to Sky Sports posts and/or content with an expression of hate on the basis of race, sex, colour, gender, nationality, ethnicity, disability, religion, sexuality, age or class, please copy the URL to the hateful post and screengrab it and email us 

Remember this when you post. It’s always there. 

IMO their coverage has deteriorated significantly over this last 12 months as they swap knowledgeable & experienced presenters for what is seen to be PC.

It’s just a box ticking exercise, which in my opinion has been detrimental to the viewing experience.

No wonder Jeff Stelling has had enough.

When our current term is up, we are off too.

Edited by captainmed

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, captainmed said:

IMO their coverage has deteriorated significantly over this last 12 months as they swap knowledgeable & experienced presenters for what is seen to be PC.

It’s just a box ticking exercise, which in my opinion has been detrimental to the viewing experience.

When our current term is up, I’m off too.

Something in that.

Started with the clear out of Gower and Botham choosing to go with him.

That said, Isa Guha is very good. Excellent radio voice too. Gentle and soothing, much like Aggers.

I've never fully managed to shake off my childhood prejudice that cricket was played by posh folk who were shit at football and I reckon I've missed out because of that.

5 days of steady casual drinking with occasional clapping is surely something everyone needs to be a part of.

Edited by ErnestTurnip

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, captainmed said:

When our current term is up, we are off too.

In other words - "Sky have employed a few women and non-white folk, instead of employing middle-aged white men like me, so I'm cancelling my subscription."

💣

16 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I've never fully managed to shake off my childhood prejudice that cricket was played by posh folk who were shit at football and I reckon I've missed out because of that.

5 days of steady casual drinking with occasional clapping is surely something everyone needs to be a part of.

Nah, cricket (in the north at least) is mostly played by working-class people.

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

In other words - "Sky have employed a few women and non-white folk, instead of employing middle-aged white men like me, so I'm cancelling my subscription."

💣

Perfectly valid to question whether someone is good enough for a job or not. 

Was tuning into sky after Liverpool battered United and they had Eni Aluko on with Scholes and Ferdinand. She said two sentences the whole time. Which for me is just insulting. Why employ someone and then ask them not to do their job properly? That does then raise the question as to whether she's there just for diversity purposes.

All for having female pundits, referees, show hosts and commentators etc. But the reality with punditry, when you're giving an in depth analysis, is that having experience in the game at that level will give you more knowledge. It's just going to be harder for a female football pundit to offer as much. Commentary, show hosting and refereeing will be more of a an equal playing field. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Perfectly valid to question whether someone is good enough for a job or not. 

Was tuning into sky after Liverpool battered United and they had Eni Aluko on with Scholes and Ferdinand. She said two sentences the whole time. Which for me is just insulting. Why employ someone and then ask them not to do their job properly? That does then raise the question as to whether she's there just for diversity purposes.

All for having female pundits, referees, show hosts and commentators etc. But the reality with punditry, when you're giving an in depth analysis, is that having experience in the game at that level will give you more knowledge. It's just going to be harder for a female football pundit to offer as much. Commentary, show hosting and refereeing will be more of a an equal playing field. 

Can you give examples of great pundits who've been snubbed in favour of poor ones in order to "tick boxes"? What is your dream team of pundits?

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

He's fuckin reet though.... 

Can you give examples of great pundits who've been snubbed in favour of poor ones in order to "tick boxes"? What is your dream team of pundits?

• Site Supporter

Well I'd obviously have you in there seeing as you are the fount of all wisdom on every subject known to man. 

Now, where did I say anyone had been displaced? I agreed that people are being given jobs so as to tick boxes.... That is blatantly obvious. Pundits I like to listen to/opinions I respect.... Cricket / Michael Holding.. Football / the late Ray Wilkins, Johnny Giles, Glenn Hoddle, Liam Brady... Boxing / Joe Calzage....Golf / Darren Clarke, Paul Azinger. 

I prefer to listen to people who have played at the highest level of their sport but who aren't ego driven & being controversial for the sake of it. 

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Well I'd obviously have you in there seeing as you are the fount of all wisdom on every subject known to man. 

Now, where did I say anyone had been displaced? I agreed that people are being given jobs so as to tick boxes.... That is blatantly obvious. Pundits I like to listen to/opinions I respect.... Cricket / Michael Holding.. Football / the late Ray Wilkins, Johnny Giles, Glenn Hoddle, Liam Brady... Boxing / Joe Calzage....Golf / Darren Clarke, Paul Azinger. 

I prefer to listen to people who have played at the highest level of their sport but who aren't ego driven & being controversial for the sake of it. 

You think a dead person deserves the job over a female or non-white person?

I'm joking of course. But this "box-ticking" theory is absolute bollocks. Does anyone question the number of black footballers in our squad? Does anyone think they're only in the squad to "tick a box"?

Saying someone is only there to "tick a box" is a fucking disgusting thing to say. And yes, it's racist. 

Edited by Cheese

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

You think a dead person deserves the job over a female or non-white person?

I'm joking of course. But this "box-ticking" theory is absolute bollocks. Does anyone question the number of black footballers in our squad? Does anyone think they're only in the squad to "tick a box"?

Cheese. Come on now. So you are honestly hand on heart saying that some of the pundits on the various sporting programmes currently are there as they are the best qualified person who is available and nothing else is influencing the decisions?