Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Yorkshire County Cricket Club

deane koontz

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Horwich said:

It is reported that be has received a payoff of around £200,000.

That is all it was about from day one.

His sister will be after a payoff soon aswell.

He could have refused that and continued to fight the good fight, bringing all his evidence before an independent court and made sure this institutionalised racism is stamped out for good.

Instead, he’s sold out his fellow sufferers for coins.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

He could have refused that and continued to fight the good fight, bringing all his evidence before an independent court and made sure this institutionalised racism is stamped out for good.

Not sure about that - there's no gagging clause in the agreement according to the news.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not sure about that - there's no gagging clause in the agreement according to the news.

Cant imagine they’d give him £200k as a sweetener to carry on fucking them.

But it’s 2021. What do I know?

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

That draw last night was like pulling teeth not one good personality between them just so wooden 

I thought it was great comedy when the show’s host said, “and they will play…” just as SWP was drawing the home team. 

Finger on the pulse there, love!

2 hours ago, Spider said:

The club's own statement confirms there is no NDA and also that Rafeeq had previously refused to sign one when asked.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Spider said:

Cant imagine they’d give him £200k as a sweetener to carry on fucking them.

But it’s 2021. What do I know?

Once he's accepted damages though, then that's it.

A gagging clause would potentially have still left a cloud over Yorkshire, at least this way, they can be seen as having come clean.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

If Michael Vaughan is correct that he never said the things in the accusation, his lawyers should sue Rafiq for defamation of character. I’m sure he’d settle for £200,000 as compensation. 

That's the trouble though. Some kids at the time overheard part of the conversation he was having and claim they heard him.

Obviously couldn't have been something massively out of order or they'd have done something about it, wouldn't they?

Yet suddenly they can remember it from years back!

Makes it difficult for Vaughan as it clouds the situation. I do think it's getting to the point though where he should look to his legal team, as shit sticks.

If they can prove he said such things, do so. If not be prepared for some comeback.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's the trouble though. Some kids at the time overheard part of the conversation he was having and claim they heard him.

Obviously couldn't have been something massively out of order or they'd have done something about it, wouldn't they?

Yet suddenly they can remember it from years back!

Makes it difficult for Vaughan as it clouds the situation. I do think it's getting to the point though where he should look to his legal team, as shit sticks.

If they can prove he said such things, do so. If not be prepared for some comeback.

It’s going to have a massive affect on his media career. Remember Ron Atkinson, Richard Keys etc. If it was me and I knew I didn’t say it, I’d mortgage the house to clear my name. 
Having said that, he may have said it.

18 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

If Michael Vaughan is correct that he never said the things in the accusation, his lawyers should sue Rafiq for defamation of character. I’m sure he’d settle for £200,000 as compensation. 

I think the difficulty for Vaughan is that at least one other person has corroborated Rafiq's claim and any libel action would be settled on the balance of probabilities.

7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think the difficulty for Vaughan is that at least one other person has corroborated Rafiq's claim and any libel action would be settled on the balance of probabilities.

It’s not difficult. If he’s right, he should come out and do whatever is required to clear his name. He should point the finger and say they are lying. If two people say he said it in a group of people (as has been said) he should be able to get other witnesses to say he didn’t.

He could of course have said it.

15 minutes ago, royal white said:

The first team coach has now been suspended over a historical tweet 

Andrew Gale. Anti Semitic by all accounts. Martin Moxon taken leave due to stress from allegations against him. It’s all imploding over there. 
Very difficult to make sense of all this. 
You have to remember that these are all allegations, no one has been to a court of law. There was an inquiry but it wasn’t totally conclusive.

51 minutes ago, Spider said:

Why now?

Why not bring this into the open years ago?

Why wait until now?

Only he can answer but if he felt raising a complaint while still a player would only make his situation worse the club has done little to prove him wrong.

There might be more to it of course, but there are good reasons why people don't complain about things during the time they happen.

48 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

It’s not difficult. If he’s right, he should come out and do whatever is required to clear his name. He should point the finger and say they are lying. If two people say he said it in a group of people (as has been said) he should be able to get other witnesses to say he didn’t.

He could of course have said it.

Indeed. My post was merely in relation to the evidence currently in the public domain.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Why now?

Why not bring this into the open years ago?

Why wait until now?

I think DK has a point, but it nevertheless stinks a bit that other fellas make a claim now, despite the fact that the case has been ongoing for some time. They will could have spoken up at the outset, once they'd learned of the rafiq case.

Something not right here. Its clear some things have been said, but the full story remains unknown- Ballance for example said he won't reveal the full details of his conversations with Rafiq.

When you listen to commentators, irrespective of nationality or race they often associate certain playing characteristics with different nations' players.

At what point will valuable insight, and observations become racist?

I think BB is right; maybe about time someone has a go back. In some ways, Vaughan has little to lose.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket