Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Golf Clubs

Anderson

I don't know if many of you are into playing your golf but I've been taking mine a bit more seriously over the last 18 months and I could do with some advice if anyone would be so kind?

I upgraded most of my bag during that time from a starter package set I bough a few years ago some Ping Irons 4-PW from golfbidder and also a Ping G30 Driver and 3W I bought from a mate, but that's left me with a gap in my bag now between the 3 Wood and the 4 Iron.

I have the old 21 degree hybrid from the last set but they were all standard shafts so it feels very whippy compared to all my other newer clubs now and it's essentially unusable!

So would anyone happen have any recommendations for a good 5 Wood or 3/4 Hybrid that I could add to the bag for some gapping? 

Cheers in advance!

• Site Supporter

It's a good job you've spelled gapping right, or LW would be all over this.

I've got Callaways and my rescue/hybrid is the best club I own apart from my loft wedge. Like Phil fucking Mickleson with that, I am.

I'll have a look at it later and let you know the model number.

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

I don't know if many of you are into playing your golf but I've been taking mine a bit more seriously over the last 18 months and I could do with some advice if anyone would be so kind?

I upgraded most of my bag during that time from a starter package set I bough a few years ago some Ping Irons 4-PW from golfbidder and also a Ping G30 Driver and 3W I bought from a mate, but that's left me with a gap in my bag now between the 3 Wood and the 4 Iron.

I have the old 21 degree hybrid from the last set but they were all standard shafts so it feels very whippy compared to all my other newer clubs now and it's essentially unusable!

So would anyone happen have any recommendations for a good 5 Wood or 3/4 Hybrid that I could add to the bag for some gapping? 

Cheers in advance!

I'd suggest going for a free gapping session at Trafford Golf, you can test as many as you want and they'll fill the gap form you

Without knowing your lofts from 4 iron to it's hard to advise 

I've recently been fitted formmy full bag and it's a great service 

I'm on maverick irons and hybrid, ping g425 3 Wood and driver 

The new ping 425 stuff is the most forgiving on the market imo

I’ve got Ping irons down to 5, crossover 4 (22 degree and like a mild driving iron) and then 26 degree and 22 degree hybrids. Seem a nice spread. I don’t bother with a 3 wood and grip down the driver a bit instead with a shorter swing and it then behaves close to a 3 wood. Let’s me have an extra wedge in the bag. 

Have you had your irons fitted ? Made a big difference to me - black dot bent to be like green dot after the pro at Manchester good club analysed it in his simulator. Best £40 I spent. 

14 hours ago, Blondi said:

I've recently bought a used Ping G30 5 wood off ebay and I would highly recommend buying a  Ping 7 wood too, I was using some older Calloway woods before and imo these Ping woods blow my old Calloway's away.

I love the G30s I've got now in the woods, I'll have the 3 for as long as it's all still swingable, never felt as confident in a club as I do that one so the 5 might be a good shout!

Cheers for all the other suggestions as well.

I would like to get a fitting done at some point but for where I'm at right now both ability wise and financially the irons I've got will do, a gapping session sounds like a good idea though, I do try and avoid American Golf for clubs though as I find with the commission structure they have they can be a bit pushy rather than just giving you the best advice.  

18 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Get a driving Iron in there. 

Got a mate who has a Srixon 2 Iron, absolute stunner of a club and he hits it very well, for me though I struggle with longer irons off the deck anyway and it'd be no different to my 3 Wood distance wise off the tee, so it'd be a bit of a waste of a space in the bag

11 hours ago, Anderson said:

I love the G30s I've got now in the woods, I'll have the 3 for as long as it's all still swingable, never felt as confident in a club as I do that one so the 5 might be a good shout!

Cheers for all the other suggestions as well.

I would like to get a fitting done at some point but for where I'm at right now both ability wise and financially the irons I've got will do, a gapping session sounds like a good idea though, I do try and avoid American Golf for clubs though as I find with the commission structure they have they can be a bit pushy rather than just giving you the best advice.  

I’m no expert but I believe you could get your irons adjusted to you for the fraction of the cost of a new set. The lie of Ping irons can easily be adjusted (I believe that’s the reason for the indent behind the heel). Mine were secondhand and belonged to someone quite a bit shorter than me that were fitted for him when he bought them new - the pro at Manchester made them suit my height, arm length, swing etc by making them 2 degrees more upright and I could feel the difference immediately. Cost about £40 and that effectively was a fitting and well worth it. No need to change the clubs and a no brainier IMO. Probably much more important than a gapping session unless you’re really good and constantly hit the same yardage.

I also went to him for a putting lesson and a “fit”. I had £300 in my pocket for a Scotty Cameron but he computer analysed my stroke then bent my putter to suit so that it now sits parallel to the ground when I putt - again, a massive difference and knocked 6 off my handicap. He said changing putter would be a waste of  money. 

What Pings are your irons ?