Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nature. Everything is very green

Spider

• Site Supporter

Maybe it's my age, or maybe i've just got colour blind recently, but driving around these last few days I've noticed how fucking GREEN and lush everything seems to be.

Verges, roadsides, fields, trees, every possible space seems thick with vegetation and it just appears more dense than I've ever nmoticed.

Probably one for @Tonge moor green jacket but maybe all the efforts to reduce carbon are slowly starting to work.

As an aside, it's giving all the horses at the farm laminitis, which comes from grass being too rich. But the country is looking good.

• Site Supporter

Ooh laminitis.

Has too much fertiliser been used on the pasture?

Anyway, it's the time of the year for greenness. Also not been too hot yet and the rain has come just in time. My veggies have taken off since we started getting some of the wet stuff.

An absolute boon to mental health too.

Remember folks, a little off the lawn, and more frequently. Not a scalping.

Periodic feed, and care at the right time and you'll have a fine green sword.

Yeah - just time of year - everything is fresh and just getting ready for the summer riot of colour. Baking hot day on saturday, raining all day yesterday you can virtually hear the plants growing.

In other news our wildflower lawn is looking superb, tall, lush and just getting ready to flower, snapdragons loving the cell wall along with the Celmatis flowering. Honeysuckle seems to be growing an inch each day and the sweetpeas have started to flower.

Its great at this time of year. Down here by end of July everything use seems brown, dried up and ready to drop.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you have access to any, lob some wood ash on your flower beds.

Failing that, a little tomato feed or something with a good dash of potassium in it.

Not too much (it washes out fairly quickly) but it benefits flowering.

Oh - yes - we've done the tomato feed and some blood, fish and bone.

Some of the cell plants haven't worked. What we are finding is that plants that like warm, dry soil with very little root depth do very well and those that can just seed on a ledge such as Red Valerian which has gone bonkers and has seeded in some lovely parts of the garden as it adapts to the poor, chalky soil.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ooh laminitis.

Has too much fertiliser been used on the pasture?

Anyway, it's the time of the year for greenness. Also not been too hot yet and the rain has come just in time. My veggies have taken off since we started getting some of the wet stuff.

An absolute boon to mental health too.

Remember folks, a little off the lawn, and more frequently. Not a scalping.

Periodic feed, and care at the right time and you'll have a fine green sword.

Or dig it up and lay down artificial. Looks green Every day 

3 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I read they get bastard hot in the sun and burn dog' feet.

It never gets hot up here 😬. Either way it’s a myth or is nowadays as the quality of the product now means this doesn’t really happen.  Or at least that’s what I was told and had read before buying. 

genuinely best thing I’ve ever done in the garden and both neighbours are getting it now as well it looks that good 

14 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It never gets hot up here 😬. Either way it’s a myth or is nowadays as the quality of the product now means this doesn’t really happen.  Or at least that’s what I was told and had read before buying. 

genuinely best thing I’ve ever done in the garden and both neighbours are getting it now as well it looks that good 

What brand is it?

Asking for a lazy twat I know😃

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Oh - yes - we've done the tomato feed and some blood, fish and bone.

Some of the cell plants haven't worked. What we are finding is that plants that like warm, dry soil with very little root depth do very well and those that can just seed on a ledge such as Red Valerian which has gone bonkers and has seeded in some lovely parts of the garden as it adapts to the poor, chalky soil.

A lot of wildflowers don't want a rich, deep soil.

They have adapted to poorer soils, and aren't out competed by others.

If you're happy with what you have growing in poor soil then that's great- part of dealing with you're conditions without spending too much and still having something natural.

On the other hand, if you want more variety, you may need to add extra stuff to the soil.

FB&B is a good all round organic fertiliser, good distribution of minerals etc.

Don't over do it though as it may encourage other things into the soil that you don't actually want.

Just planted some courgettes, squashes and pumpkins into heavily (pig) manured beds. Very rich soil now!

9 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A lot of wildflowers don't want a rich, deep soil.

They have adapted to poorer soils, and aren't out competed by others.

If you're happy with what you have growing in poor soil then that's great- part of dealing with you're conditions without spending too much and still having something natural.

On the other hand, if you want more variety, you may need to add extra stuff to the soil.

FB&B is a good all round organic fertiliser, good distribution of minerals etc.

Don't over do it though as it may encourage other things into the soil that you don't actually want.

Just planted some courgettes, squashes and pumpkins into heavily (pig) manured beds. Very rich soil now!

At the top of the garden (the very top of the hill) we've done bags of Courgettes and other veg so we'll see what happens.

Very pleased this year - a hill garden is a pain in the arse and it takes a while to figure out what you actually can do. We've let the ferns grow as they look great with the wildflowers and we've started to see Cabbage Whites and more bees this year (we are lucky in that we always get a lot of bees and not so many wasps) At the front the Candy Tufts are looking great. Just the front lawn to sort as it gets baked all day in summer, everyon'es looks like a dust bowl by August. The only one that does its a lovely old Spanish woman who tends to it every day.

To be honest it's my Mrs who leads the charge with all this. She's a member of RHS and is obsessed with all this, gets on well with my Dad who is also horticulture obsessed - I think his time a a Biology teacher was just so he could muck around with plants (although some of the George Toms pupils were quite bright - boom, boom) Anyway, its a lovely time of the year watching all the early spring hard work start to come to fuition.

Plastic lawns aren't for me, heart sinks a little when I see one. This idea that garends have to be neat and uniform and green all year round - as though a garden is a living room you can hover just seems wrong to me.

I'm not a huge environmentalist but we can do little bits in our space to help our immediate environment and covering a garden in plastic doesn't seem to do that, it provides no food at all for any of our bugs and with the UK losing its wildflower medows at a staggering rate perhaps a bit of mowning and seeding isn't such a bad thing?

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Why is everyone suddenly confused by the concept of Spring? It happens every year you loons.

There’s something more intense this year.

have a look around you grumpy, cynical wankpellet