Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In England

royal white

• Moderators
5 hours ago, gonzo said:

Id be off from this country to better lands in a heartbeat if I could.

I missed the boat years ago but Ill be telling my kids to get the fuck out of here as fast as they possibly can.

I believe they run daily

might only be one way though

35 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Anytime I have to call HMRC, I have a similar experience. It really is awful trying to speak to anybody there. I was on the phone to them for about 2 hours the other week......and that was after I'd been fucking around on the HMRC Gateway online platform for an hour or so

They are telling me they fucked up my return 3 years or so ago and I owe them money. I just want a breakdown of their calculations. First two I spoke to said it was an error at their end and I owe nothing. Now they are saying I do. Reverted to writing to them. 
You stories about £ms being lost to fraud , does not surprise me. 

4 hours ago, Spider said:

Almost everyone I know who’s been to Oz on holiday has ended up going living there.

This is no exaggeration. It just seems to change people.

I can’t help feel you may have played your part in this. That’s a high percentage 100%

5 hours ago, mickbrown said:

I did three weeks in Melbourne and Sydney. It was ace.

Looked at working there but as I said before, the numbers didn't work.

Quite fancy retiring there. That definitely might be an option.

Obviously on the other side of the country from our resident koala botherer.

I love Sydney. Been to Melbourne as well. As for retiring there, if you could afford to retire and live in London then you’ll be fine. Spent a lot of time in Sydney. Property prices and the cost of living is higher than or similar to London. Outside of the metropolis, I’m not sure I’d want to live there. Don’t know about other parts of Oz. It’s a big country.

Meanwhile, in England, not very far from me, two cunts have guaranteed their place in hell. That hell might be corporeal in the coming years, or spiritually eternal if there's an ounce of truth in any notions of such things. Either way, everything conceivable (and much that is not) should descend upon them... 

Finley Boden: Parents murdered baby placed back into their care - BBC News

14 hours ago, gonzo said:

Id be off from this country to better lands in a heartbeat if I could.

I missed the boat years ago but Ill be telling my kids to get the fuck out of here as fast as they possibly can.

When my youngest has finished Uni in a couple of years we’ll be spending 9 months or so outside of the UK.

We’ll come back for our “summer” - June/July/August. 

I’m already spending 3/4 months a year away, so I’ve got a good feel for extended stays now.

The weather & culture amongst other things here just wear me down.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, captainmed said:

When my youngest has finished Uni in a couple of years we’ll be spending 9 months or so outside of the UK.

We’ll come back for our “summer” - June/July/August. 

I’m already spending 3/4 months a year away, so I’ve got a good feel for extended stays now.

The weather & culture amongst other things here just wear me down.

13 years is long enough to wear anyone down

• Members
On 14/04/2023 at 16:55, Spider said:

I’d hate to think what you’d imagined 😄

some mates of mine are in Perth this week, and have had to shelter from a cyclone for the last two days, is it that bad? Saw on the news it was way north of you?

True mate - it's been a bad un. Where it made landfall in the Pilbara (2000kms north of here and a place I have spent much time in due to my heavy involvement with the iron ore industry), they recorded record wind speeds of 289km/h!!! Google 'damage to Pardoo Road House' if you want to see what sort of destructive power that has - even to steel framed buildings!

We have had some relatively minor 'backwash' down here with unseasonal autumn rains. It doesn't usually start raining here until mid June so your mates have my sympathy. Usually the best time of year to be here with seemingly endless mid 20's sunny days etc. so they have been really unlucky.

Would I be right in assuming that I may find them loitering around pie shops?

• Members
On 14/04/2023 at 17:37, Ani said:

Did 3 weeks there and it is brilliant. Biggest issue was in Sydney young posh kids doing the backpacking thing on daddy's credit card. 
We just did Melbourne, Sydney and Barrier Reef. 

Bloke sat in plane next to me on way out was going seeing his daughter for 2 days ! Flying Thursday coming back Sunday ! 

Into every life a little rain must fall but sunshine surely follows. I don't usually want to see him quoted but the news that the condescending cunt will never darken these shores is a fillip greater than those Ronnie used to provide.

....and I think he would be aware that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Edited by bolty58

• Members
On 14/04/2023 at 17:59, lobbypond said:

The Australians I've meet have mostly been sound and had a sense of humour.

Don't think I could handle the weather though I'd be moaning like fuck 🤣

It's only the hot summers mate. The rest of the year is fine. You learn to live with it as those in equatorial climes have had to do for pretty much all year round.

They do have a sense of humour but it can be a bit slapstick and/or American style. In my experience, Brits are usually far too quick witted for them - especially those from our neck of the woods.