Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

EFL TROPHY

Horwich

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, desperado said:

A game against a club who bring a big crowd to Wembley would make it feel like a big occasion. I’m all for it being Plymouth or Bristol if we get there 

Obviously it doesn't count as I wouldn't be there, but for me it's the playing in the final that counts, not the opponent.

10 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I reckon we’d take a decent number. My Mrs would come down for a day out because the result wouldn’t particularly matter.

No chance I’d want to be with anyone who just wants a day out for a play off final. That’s far too important

That's a valid point.  Nothing worse that being with someone that isn't invested when its a massive game.  The half hearted sympathy and "there's always next year" type comments just make it worse.  Much better to be next to someone who's either spitting out fury at the team/ref/opponents or someone too upset to speak.

20 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

How many reckon we'd take? 30+k? 

I know it's hardly an FA Cup final but like many pointed and for me personally would be a very rare chance to see us win something 

Our fanbase has been increasing recently and have been fantastic home and away.

15,000-18,000

11 minutes ago, gonzo said:

.Thirded. Play off final would be 25k

The irony is that if we go to Wembley in March, a lot of families wouldn't be making the return journey in May - cost mainly, but add on the novelty factor would have gone and there will be all the stories of "I'm not going to that dump again" etc.

But a factor that favours a cup final compared to play offs is the time you get to plan for a final, a good month or so, whereas the play offs is normally 10 days or 2 weeks and it can be a bit rushed to sort domestic and travel arrangements (for the less than committed).

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

How much are final tickets?

Reckon more than 20+ would go.

Can you imagine another northern team getting there- be better off OT.

Would you be arsed winning something at OT? To me, Wembley IS the final... Maybe that's been lost since the rebuild.

On the same hand, I've got a mate whose scored the winner in this very final, in front of his favourite Stretford End... 

Players love it? Maybe. The fans?

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

whereas the play offs is normally 10 days or 2 weeks and it can be a bit rushed to sort domestic and travel arrangements (for the less than committed

We’ve done pretty well at play off finals - Tranmere, Watford, Preston and I save Reading to the last, as that followed a cup final. 

Yes major cups are always going to draw more fans. But I think Bolton fans are always going to turn out 20k plus for a Wembley appearance and I think this year would be no different. Especially for our youth, this would be a very special occasion that they would want to turn out for 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, desperado said:

We’ve done pretty well at play off finals - Tranmere, Watford, Preston and I save Reading to the last, as that followed a cup final. 

Yes major cups are always going to draw more fans. But I think Bolton fans are always going to turn out 20k plus for a Wembley appearance and I think this year would be no different. Especially for our youth, this would be a very special occasion that they would want to turn out for 

Define ‘done pretty well’ please.

Tranmere and Watford were woeful. Or maybe for me it’s less about the way we play and more about the end result.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Define ‘done pretty well’ please.

Tranmere and Watford were woeful. Or maybe for me it’s less about the way we play and more about the end result.

Pretty well with crowds.

God yes there’s no way on Gods earth I’d describe the Watford performance using any positive language!