Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Megson Interview

MalcolmW

the guy was always onto a loser.

Coyle has been given time because he engages with the fans who remember giving him so much joy as a player.

Megson had to win them over from the start and went rapidly down hill from the start.

However do you not think Megson made some good signings?

Maybe not the best manager maybe a better no.2?

Always thought Megson should have been made Director of football, and the club use him solely for transfers and scouting, that is his forte. Edited by DomRepWanderer

And elmander didn't even perform until his contract was running out.

After Megson left Elmander blamed his bad form on Megson's lack of managerial abilities.Basically he said he didn't rate Megson and wasn't giving him 100%.

Edited by Butterfly

• Moderators

highlights:

"I liked Bolton as a football club, but the supporters didn't like me," he told BBC Radio Manchester.

"I don't particularly like them either because you realise what, in my view, proper support is and that's here [at Sheffield Wednesday]."

The Owls boss also revealed that during his spell at The Reebok chairman Phil Gartside asked him to ignore their European campaign in a bid to avoid relegation.

"I took Bolton further in Europe than they've ever been, yet I was told by the chairman to get out of Europe because they don't make any money in it and it was having an impact on the league position, and it was absolutely imperative to stay in the Premiership," he added.

"Well bearing in mind that was the worst start that's ever been seen in the Premiership and still is, it was a huge ask to stay up, notwithstanding the fact we were in Europe.

"We took the reserves to Bayern Munich and got a draw there, most people get beaten, and there's a lot of British teams since then can't get a result there.

"We went to Red Star Belgrade, were the first team ever to have won there in over 100 years, managed to get through and we knocked out Atletico Madrid over two legs.

"I do think that if it hadn't had been as tenuous in the Premiership we could have got even further against Sporting Lisbon.

"But we just had to make sure that the club stayed up, by hook or by crook, we managed to do that, and yet you're still viewed as you were viewed."

folk are now slagging Gartside off on twitter

gartside is saying he never said owt

Edited by ZicoKelly

The Owls boss also revealed that during his spell at The Reebok chairman Phil Gartside asked him to ignore their European campaign in a bid to avoid relegation.

"I took Bolton further in Europe than they've ever been, yet I was told by the chairman to get out of Europe because they don't make any money in it and it was having an impact on the league position, and it was absolutely imperative to stay in the Premiership," he added.

In over 25 years on board and last 13 as chairman I have never questioned or instructed a manager on team selection

• Site Supporter

"they" is the part that really bugs me.

the fans are not a single entity gary,

some where nobs from the start

some where sheep

some you pissed off

some are pissed off at the club no matter what happens

some thought things werent all that bad

Edited by HomerJay

Guest Frandsen08

not arsed, hes a bitter bitter man, but so are some of our fans. if he doesnt want to move on , then bollocks to him, i know i have and the club has.

• Moderators

"they" is the part that really bugs me.

the fans are not a single entity gary,

That's the only thing that bothers me, I backed him as he was our manager, even if he was a cunt. I put that down to his lack of intelligence, plain and simple.

Some of the treatment he got was appalling, nothing can ever justify that. But he's still a cunt.

Although Kevin Nolan and Kevin Davies that set up the equaliser in Munich weren't reserves.

Edited by Carlos

'We' are a big blot on his recent career, that's why he's desperate to re-write history and put the blame on anyone but himself. The club shouldn't rise to it, tomorrow's chip paper and all that.

Maybe he should focus on is achievements at Notts Forest instead. Oh, hang on...

• Moderators

I really don't understand why he still feels the need to go on about it. George Graham was hated by the majority of Spurs supporters and he even won a trophy for them, but he doesn't feel the need to air his views about his experience there.

well, in his defence there, I dunno why GMR had to go and ask him in the first place

i said the same to Marc Iles on twitter when he was banging on about the interview being a must listen - as I'm sure they just asked a load of leading questions

iles said it was a profile peice and there are city and stockport connections too

i bet he doesn't go off on a rant about how/why he was sacked by stockport (for applying for the huddersfield job)

That's the only thing that bothers me, I backed him as he was our manager, even if he was a cunt. I put that down to his lack of intelligence, plain and simple.

Some of the treatment he got was appalling, nothing can every justify that. But he's still a cunt.

Although Kevin Nolan and Kevin Davies that set up the equaliser in Munich weren't reserves,

Or Ricardo for the first goal