Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Britain's Racist Election

DazBob

I don't read The Guardian, you might as well be reading The Gay Times or The Morning Star... :)

I might have accidentally clicked on a Guardian link and inadvertantly fed myself their propaganda.

so youri.... what do you read?

As a middle of the road self thinker i gave up on all murdoch shit and DT which left me with the G as they don't charge for on line. I enjoy the fencing with the earth savers on the forums and comments. So what is  your read?!!!!

The Dandy.

Nah, obviously I'll read links folk post, regardless of paper, I'll pick up a Metro at the train station (utter shite) and read the Bolton News online, mainly to see if I know any of the miscreants being reported on.

I'm a firm believer in avoiding the news where possible - it's all reactive bollocks, the more folk click the more they report on it, it's akin to a soap opera with storylines that are hit or miss, they'll run with the story that 'hits'.

Same goes for TV news,  I remember being in bed with man 'flu one year and channel flicking (when I had a chavtastic telly in the bedroom) - main story on Al Jazeera was some car bomb going off in Baghdad, fifty killed, the main story on the BBC? George Michael had got caned again and crashed his car into a HappySnaps shop.

It's all bollocks, if it's owt important I'll find out about it down the line, not worth releasing cortisol over in the present.

We could use a timescale of say 1000000 years and then consider which ice age it is we are exiting if it helps.

The argument is that man made CO2 is causing the rise in global temperatures so plotting the graph from the start of the IndustrIal Revolution makes sense.

(FAO new posters this is the kind of fun we get up to on here on a Friday night).

(FAO new posters this is the kind of fun we get up to on here on a Friday night).

I'm sat in my lounge wear eating a bag of mini eggs,drinking a cup of tea waiting in sheer anticipation of the next post.

Rock on Tommy. :-)

The argument is that man made CO2 is causing the rise in global temperatures so plotting the graph from the start of the IndustrIal Revolution makes sense.

Possibly. There are cleverer men than me believe they can prove it.

Or we could say that super accurate temperature records from before the industrial revolution and the development of most things meaningful and accurate (apart from say mathematics and central heating) were kept by people living in straw huts and recorded by throwing sticks into the wind or measuring the amount of hay in horseshit?

I'm sat in my lounge wear eating a bag of mini eggs,drinking a cup of tea waiting in sheer anticipation of the next post.

Rock on Tommy. :-)

Well here's one for you after being terrorised by them in the past, and all because David had his ham swiped from his butty

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Prime-Minister-holds-malice-seagulls-despite-ham/story-26201933-detail/story.html

Or we could say that super accurate temperature records from before the industrial revolution and the development of most things meaningful and accurate (apart from say mathematics and central heating) were kept by people living in straw huts and recorded by throwing sticks into the wind or measuring the amount of hay in horseshit?

The thing is with science is that everything has to be demonstrable and provable, they wouldn't use data recorded by the equivalent of sticking your elbow in the baby's bathwater.

Whilst I think that  our energy bills are too high because of the hefty green tariffs levied (have a chat to someone who jumped on the solar panel bandwagon early enough to see what they get paid) we should try to reduce our carbon emissions. If the scientists are right, and the majority agree on climate change, then the climate is a big one to screw up and for future generations to pick up the tab for.

The thing is with science is that everything has to be demonstrable and provable, they wouldn't use data recorded by the equivalent of sticking your elbow in the baby's bathwater.

That is exactly what the thing is with science and is what explains why climate science is such crap. The data is much worse than sticking your elbow in the bath for every year prior to satellite records beginning in the 70s. There is no data to prove the theory that the climate is a in a bad way and it has been caused by us. Manmade global warming is not demonstrable or provable. All there are are some computer programmes which would tell you the world is warming due to CO2 even if you fed them the fucking phone book. And they have never ever been within a billion years of being right.

we should try to reduce our carbon emissions. If the scientists are right, and the majority agree on climate change, then the climate is a big one to screw up and for future generations to pick up the tab for.

​The scientists agree on barely anything once you scratch the surface. I might agree that we should try and reduce our emissions if it wouldn't ruin our economies and ruin any hopes the third world might have of catching the rest of us up.  As I type, wind is providing 1.1% of the UK's energy needs. Reducing emissions just in case it helps the climate is like having your bollocks removed on your 21st birthday in case you get cancer.

Is your crowd still going with the 97% crap? There was a high profile article as recently as yesterday explaining - again - what horseshit it is. Which you'd know if your side had any interest in opposing views.

If 97% of experts agreed cancer was a certainty then chop away. But if all they had was a theory and a load of computer models which would tell you the moon was made of green cheese if you wanted them to - and still had never been right once - I'd keep hold thanks.

It's actually from an op ed piece by Richard Tol that was published in the Guardian in 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2014/jun/06/97-consensus-global-warming

He gets quite a lot wrong from making some pretty poor assumptions. The rebuttal can be found here.

http://skepticalscience.com/climate-contrarians-accidentally-confirm-97-percent-consensus.html

It's actually from an op ed piece by Richard Tol that was published in the Guardian in 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2014/jun/06/97-consensus-global-warming

He gets quite a lot wrong from making some pretty poor assumptions. The rebuttal can be found here.

http://skepticalscience.com/climate-contrarians-accidentally-confirm-97-percent-consensus.html

Sigh. No it's not. It is a day old. Read it. Though it is about the third or fourth time that Tol has had to show how pathetic the 'study' which led to the 97% consensus claim is. And he does so with plain English, not deliberately obfuscating diagrams and graphs and jargon as in your second link. Tol, by the way, believes man is causing climate change. He's on your side. But he has become a pariah because he dares point out bullshit studies created by other believers. 

Not that consensus, even if it did exist, is relevant. Science does not work by consensus. Either there is evidence (and predictive computer models are not evidence) or there is not. There is not. It warmed a bit for about fifty years. Now we are nearly twenty years into a flat-line which no scientist and no computer saw coming even though we shovel more and more CO2 up there. Not surprising as we know fuck all about any of it and a bit of humility, rather than telling everyone there is a consensus and it's settled, wouldn't go amiss. But the more you go on about consensus as if it did exist or were relevant the more obvious it becomes that you haven't got anything substantial to say.  

Ah scientific consensus due to trial by association! 

That is what we have just covered in Biochemistry with regard to the 30 year old myth that eating fat from animal or dairy sources was bad for you. Of course obtaining over 50% of your average calorie intake from fat is not a good idea, but now the recommendation is 30 to 35% of daily calorie intake should be from fat. Did science have any hard evidence to blame dietary intake of fat? Erm no but they saw it in the diet and cried wolf. 

• Site Supporter

Another one is the government scientists realising that it is sugar that is bad for you. Even the natural unrefined sugars found in fruit.

The government told us years ago to eat lots of fruit and veg every day. What they should have said was eat lots of veg but only one piece of fruit. Problem is, the fruit growers association would be pissed offoff of they corrected their earlier advice

Edited by MickyD

Another one is the government scientists realising that it is sugar that is bad for you. Even the natural unrefined sugars found in fruit.

The government told us years ago to eat lots of fruit and veg every day. What they should have said was eat lots of veg but only one piece of fruit. Problem is, the fruit growers association would be pissed offoff of they corrected their earlier advice

To be fair the issue of sugar wouldn't be half so bad if kids weren't so sedantry now. Probably years ago eating 5 bits of fruit wouldn't be so bad but now as kids are driven to school and sit playing video games at home they don't get to burn excess energy off.

on this one its a tad more complex - types of saccharides and all that. However, I think its the additional sugar in the form of added sucrose and high fructose corn sugar added to  sweets and processed food that tips things over. The fructose in fruit is there but everything else in fruit such as vitamins, enzymes, co factors, minerals antioxidants and fibre means you should go with the fruit first.