Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sweaty Ken

Lostock Whites

42 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I think the point is that Allardyce has only just bought these shares, so he's obviously still keeping an eye on what's going on at BWFC.

Not read the thread but is that right?

Makes it a little more interesting if so ...

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I think the point is that Allardyce has only just bought these shares, so he's obviously still keeping an eye on what's going on at BWFC.

We don't know when he bought them. As Iles say the record was updated the other day on companies house and he wasn't listed previously but that is the case for several on the list. It could be he's had them a long time and for a whole host of reasons wasn't declared. Lets be clear it makes little sense that he'd have recently bought a tiny percentage in Burnden Leisure. More likely he got them as part of the deal when he joined the club. 

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I just think if he has a point then he should make it. Isn't that the whole aim of journalism? 

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Not read the thread but is that right?

Makes it a little more interesting if so ...

According to Iles, Allardyce hasn't been listed before, but now he is. No idea how these things work, but that's how I interpreted it. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

We don't know when he bought them. As Iles say the record was updated the other day on companies house and he wasn't listed previously but that is the case for several on the list. It could be he's had them a long time and for a whole host of reasons wasn't declared. Lets be clear it makes little sense that he'd have recently bought a tiny percentage in Burnden Leisure. More likely he got them as part of the deal when he joined the club. 

That may well be the case. Don't know how these things work.

13 minutes ago, burnden said:

To clear up this mystery - I'm told Sam bought these shares a good number of years ago but that they were previous in a nominee's name. Changed in April, hence his name has popped up on the radar. Case solved! #bwfc

I'm pretty sure that you can't even buy Burnden Leisure shares these days.

If so, then a complete non-story. From a journalist.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Boothy said:

Doesn’t count on Twitter apparently.

Well it doesn't really, does it? Twitter isn't an extension of your job. Whatever you think of Marc Iles, he's still allowed to post shit on his personal twitter account like the rest of us. If he'd written an article about this for the Bolton News, you'd have a point. 

Edited by Cheese

If you’re a welder I suppose not. If you’re a sports correspondent who focuses on Bolton Wanderers and you use that medium to communicate with Bolton fans and posting something that is potentially news, then that is different matter. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Boothy said:

If you’re a welder I suppose not. If you’re a sports correspondent who focuses on Bolton Wanderers and you use that medium to communicate with Bolton fans and posting something that is potentially news, then that is different matter. 

I disagree, but I understand your point.

I suspect that Iles has stumbled inadvertently onto something quite interesting. There were, and still are, a lot of Burnden Leisure shareholders who were more than a bit miffed when Eddie Davies took over the club in December 2003. This revelation may well indicate that Sam Allardyce was one of them. Within weeks of the takeover Sam had a major dust-up with Phil Gartside over how the one million pound bonuses, payable if BWFC won the League Cup Final against Boro', would affect his spending budget.

Its seemed to me for quite a while that the deteriorating relationship between Allardyce and Gartside (therefore with Davies too) must have started in earnest around about that time.

Edited by Chris Custodiet