Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

• Site Supporter

Amazing how furious some old men get about these demonstrations, whilst parroting the latest soundbites and catchphrases they've been given by other old men. Very odd. If it was up to me, I'd have all their hard drives checked. 

21 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Amazing how furious some old men get about these demonstrations, whilst parroting the latest soundbites and catchphrases they've been given by other old men. Very odd. If it was up to me, I'd have all their hard drives checked. 

Listening to the “old men” on tele this morning who have lost 2 days work (and possibly more) they have every right to be furious. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, royal white said:

Listening to the “old men” on tele this morning who have lost 2 days work (and possibly more) they have every right to be furious. 

How many days work do you think Bolty has lost? 

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I'd rather suffer carbon dioxide suffocation that have any sort of association with some of the freaks and fucking weirdo's associated with Exstinkshun Rebellion. No surrender.

See now I know you're being a silly little sausage. No you wouldn't.

And of all the people to link a song by - I can't believe you've chosen Bobby Gillespie???? 😂😂😂😂

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, royal white said:

No idea as I’m unaware where the demonstrations are in Australia.

Well it must have been a few, because he's absolutely fuming about the protestors. 

Edited by Cheese

• Members
42 minutes ago, royal white said:

Don't know why you even bother engaging with that moron. Had I been supportive of the protesting wankers, he would have been on here taking the opposite stance.

• Members
14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

See now I know you're being a silly little sausage. No you wouldn't.

And of all the people to link a song by - I can't believe you've chosen Bobby Gillespie???? 😂😂😂😂

See, I knew you would get the intended humour. Knob Cheese gets fuck all - especially in the bedroom department I am guessing.

• Members
10 minutes ago, royal white said:

No idea as I’m unaware where the demonstrations are in Australia.

There are but they have been significantly smaller over here than in that there Sydney.

Haven't been inconvenienced whatsoever by this particular protest although the same rent a mob faces who were in the centre of Perth protesting were the same workshy wankers hugging trees not too long ago to stop a vital road extension near where I live and they fucking well inconvenienced me for weeks.

Scruffy fucking ferals with, I would guess, lice infested matted dreadlocks. Living off state handouts and, best of all, travel around in old diesel charabancs spewing out black clouds of smoke. Stupid fucking hypocrites.

Knob Cheese would be very welcome to come and check my hard drive. Warm welcome guaranteed.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, kent_white said:

I love it when someone cleverer and wittier than I am, can articulate what's going on inside my head.

'Are you going to be a contrary little twat like Boris? Or are you going to be a decent human being and do what you can?'

That's basically the choice we've all got. Nails the lazy 'hypocrite' jibe a lot of people have been making on here too.

Some fair stuff there. 

I'd pick one point out of that- a question to everyone on here

How many will no longer take holidays abroad that involve flights?

What would your response be if the government said it would ban all holiday flights within 2 years. (Unless there are powered by bio jet fuel which is being developed- b.p. I think)?

Here is an article

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/jul/19/carbon-calculator-how-taking-one-flight-emits-as-much-as-many-people-do-in-a-year

So while it is quite right that governments must take greater action, the idea that as individuals we are very limited in what we can do is completely wrong.

21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Some fair stuff there. 

I'd pick one point out of that- a question to everyone on here

How many will no longer take holidays abroad that involve flights?

What would your response be if the government said it would ban all holiday flights within 2 years. (Unless there are powered by bio jet fuel which is being developed- b.p. I think)?

Here is an article

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/jul/19/carbon-calculator-how-taking-one-flight-emits-as-much-as-many-people-do-in-a-year

So while it is quite right that governments must take greater action, the idea that as individuals we are very limited in what we can do is completely wrong.

The last 12 months has been the first time I've seriously considered my own impact on things. And flying is one of those things I've major cognitive dissonance about.

In the past I've been able to bury the thought of the impact my flight has been having - but I'm finding it harder and harder to justify. 

I've been on one flight this year - to Krakow. It was lovely and I had a good time - but my life would not have been significantly worse if I'd stayed at home in the back garden for a week. Or got the train to Devon for example.

The reality is - choices like the one you've outlined above might be necessary as part of our answer. That's why I'm pessimistic about our chances. If your average man in the street is bothered about some hippies dancing in Trafalgar Square - how are you going to convince him to stop taking his flight to the Costa Del Sol twice a year - before it's too late?

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

The last 12 months has been the first time I've seriously considered my own impact on things. And flying is one of those things I've major cognitive dissonance about.

In the past I've been able to bury the thought of the impact my flight has been having - but I'm finding it harder and harder to justify. 

I've been on one flight this year - to Krakow. It was lovely and I had a good time - but my life would not have been significantly worse if I'd stayed at home in the back garden for a week. Or got the train to Devon for example.

The reality is - choices like the one you've outlined above might be necessary as part of our answer. That's why I'm pessimistic about our chances. If your average man in the street is bothered about some hippies dancing in Trafalgar Square - how are you going to convince him to stop taking his flight to the Costa Del Sol twice a year - before it's too late?

You aren’t an old man then, Kent?!

Did I read that a great  percentage of CO2 comes from cattle farting, or summat?

Are we all vegans on here yet?

1 hour ago, royal white said:

Yeah because two days work is mega important. I'm sure in a few decades of time people will be really worried about that as their homes are destroyed by floods and we lose parts of our coast - its going to be really annoying that some people lost a few days work back in 2019 then. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, kent_white said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Hence my assertion that parliament needs to agree to some sort of pact, whereby it agrees to a plan, binding upon any government, so that it cannot become an issue to vote one out if folk don't like it.

5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Someone of those dancing hippies have taken flights to get there. As long as you have jet-setting hippies they will always be seen as hypocrites.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Hence my assertion that parliament needs to agree to some sort of pact, whereby it agrees to a plan, binding upon any government, so that it cannot become an issue to vote one out if folk don't like it.

But isn't a principle of parliament that it cannot bind hands of future parliament?

This needs to be a change led by people - and first step has to be demanding that the climate issue is immediately given top priority by all parties. 

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Yeah because two days work is mega important. I'm sure in a few decades of time people will be really worried about that as their homes are destroyed by floods and we lose parts of our coast - its going to be really annoying that some people lost a few days work back in 2018 then. 

2 days work is important for many people. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

You aren’t an old man then, Kent?!

Did I read that a great  percentage of CO2 comes from cattle farting, or summat?

Are we all vegans on here yet?

Methane. Far worse than co2 as a greenhouse gas.

Hence calls for diet changes. We've already reduced the amount of beef we buy, and it's a shame because I probably prefer beef and it's versatility.

But it's not a problem.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Methane. Far worse than co2 as a greenhouse gas.

Hence calls for diet changes. We've already reduced the amount of beef we buy, and it's a shame because I probably prefer beef and it's versatility.

But it's not a problem.

Weren’t a number of the protesters seen in McDonalds?

Probably just using the loo

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

But isn't a principle of parliament that it cannot bind hands of future parliament?

This needs to be a change led by people - and first step has to be demanding that the climate issue is immediately given top priority by all parties. 

Environment trumps government for me.

Parliament has just tied the hands of government and been backed by the court so it isn't without precedent.

If there's sufficient will, parliament can legislate in such a way as to make all successive governments adhere to an agreed set of rules in this area.

Previously you said yourself that a government risks losing out if it's policies are deemed Draconian (I'm paraphrasing). That has to be taken away.

It is indeed down to people, but as we all know, for some (probably plenty) a big stick will also be needed. Government of the day needs to be confident it can legislate accordingly, without then losing out to an opposition who promises to undo something as a vote winner. 

Put stuff into law like drink driving for example. No government is going to overturn it.

Environmental activities only I should add, otherwise we begin to move away from democracy.