Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

How is Greta getting home?

She's going to wobble single-handedly back over the Atlantic in one of those big blue barrels, the type that were sometimes sawn in half to use to shit effect as 'sledges' in snowy times (by poor children)...She's going to don a used jonnybag on her noggin as sowester (and for sustenance) and use a stale baguette as a paddle (and for sustenance)...

Is a sowester the hat or the coat? I can't remember, I meant the hat though.

• Members
22 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

How is Greta getting home?

She's going to wobble single-handedly back over the Atlantic in one of those big blue barrels, the type that were sometimes sawn in half to use to shit effect as 'sledges' in snowy times (by poor children)...She's going to don a used jonnybag on her noggin as sowester (and for sustenance) and use a stale baguette as a paddle (and for sustenance)...

Is a sowester the hat or the coat? I can't remember, I meant the hat though.

Sou'Wester is the hat mate. You were correct.

Busty milf Latina in fishing waders, a Sou'Wester and smeared with Malt & Cod Liver Oil. Now yer talkin'..............

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

See, it's this kind of hysterical nonsense than 'alienates'.

How could you possibly know this/ prove it/ guarantee it?

Simply alarmist bullshit and you know it.

I definitely used to think climate activists were a bunch of hysterical nutters. The stark warnings were there from the scientific community 30 years ago but people with money in fossil fuels did a great job of covering it up as 'alarmist'. If only we had made some sort of change back then, we would be in a very different situation.

I do admit, my prediction of 30 years was daft as you can't make an accurate prediction on this. It will be different for people based on wealth and where you live in the world.  However, the situation is worse than many people understand it to be and the warnings that scientists are giving us are incredibly alarming. A lot of this is set to happen in our lifetimes and many are saying things could seriously start to go to shit in 20 years. There are many different variables with ecological collapse but I'll try and highlight some of most pressing. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/24/uk-30-40-years-away-eradication-soil-fertility-warns-michael-gove There is a high risk that we will be unable to grow food in some of the most fertile parts of this country, if we continue to farm in an unsustainable and monocrop way. 

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/1/19/16908402/global-warming-2-degrees-climate-change- IPCC report explains if we hit 2 degrees of warming we risk losing all our pollinating insects- that could affect one third of all our crops worldwide. This could easily lead to resource wars. Our current trajectory is taking us to 3 degrees of warming, there is a lot of evidence to say the consequences of hitting 3 degrees will be devastating 

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/597kpd/new-report-suggests-high-likelihood-of-human-civilisation-coming-to-an-end-in-2050 Australian scientific thinktank argues that climate change is a serious to threat that could lead to the collapse of civilisation by 2050. Their argument is heavily backed up by the warnings from the IPCC report. 

Important to note that all these scenarios are based on us carrying on with business as usual. There are the solutions out there to prevent the worst effects of climate change and keep us below 1.5 degrees. What we need to do now is to adopt them. The truth is alarming and I think that's a good thing. If it alienates you into not doing anything then so be it. A recent poll across 8 countries put the climate crisis as the number 1 issue over migration and terrorism. I would argue this as proof that the 'alarmist' warnings coming from the scientific community are engaging people, not alienating them. 

Edited by London Wanderer

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Course... that's the purpose of twitter no? 

Occassionally something comes out from a randomer that captures people's idiocy perfectly.

Making up a character that's said Greta is a fuckin slag?

There's only one idiot in that tweet.

Which goes back to the original discussion. Will only fail whilst it's occupied by politically motivated, or morality hogging bell ends.

Cut the crap, and educate folk rationally and intelligently. The only way to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

31 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Making up a character that's said Greta is a fuckin slag?

There's only one idiot in that tweet.

Which goes back to the original discussion. Will only fail whilst it's occupied by politically motivated, or morality hogging bell ends.

Cut the crap, and educate folk rationally and intelligently. The only way to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

Of course, one of the fundamental features of comedy. Made up characters whose comments are exaggerated to make a perfectly reasonable point. 

On SkyNews Australia, they gave two minutes of air time to a political commentator who said that people who supported the message of Greta were child abusers. Aaron Banks said Greta should be careful not to drown in the Atlantic. You only need to scroll down any article on Greta in the Daily Mail comments section to meet many a Barry from North Shields. 

I'll go back to my original point. It's clearly easier for some people to stereotype protestors as workshy wankers, swampies and yogurt weavers, than it is to face up to making societal changes. Where's the rationality and intelligence behind those stereotypes? 

I'm in total agreement with you that groups like XR are alienating some people, but I think the climate justice movement as a whole is having a massive impact in engaging people. We also have the tireless work of Scientists and the IPCC report to thank. There are plenty of people in the climate justice movement who are working hard to educate people rationally and intelligently. They just want our governments to act on the warnings, their fears seem pefectly justified to me.  

Edited by London Wanderer

• Site Supporter

So leave it to the scientists then. And if some nob is accusing anyone of supporting Greta of being a child abuser, then don't give him the air time and publicity he craves. Not worth it, as he's a cunt.

Doesn't justify making up false stuff on social media. That's the biggest social fuck up ever. MPs gobbing off and behaving stupidly now.

Perhaps Twitter should shut down for a week.

A very thought provoking statement in parliament yesterday about how certain groups seem to adopt some sort of moral ownership which entitles them to decry others as being of lower value.

Unfortunately, this is the case in most protest movements, and general public switch off. 

19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

So leave it to the scientists then. And if some nob is accusing anyone of supporting Greta of being a child abuser, then don't give him the air time and publicity he craves. Not worth it, as he's a cunt.

Doesn't justify making up false stuff on social media. That's the biggest social fuck up ever. MPs gobbing off and behaving stupidly now.

Perhaps Twitter should shut down for a week.

A very thought provoking statement in parliament yesterday about how certain groups seem to adopt some sort of moral ownership which entitles them to decry others as being of lower value.

Unfortunately, this is the case in most protest movements, and general public switch off. 

Exactly what the climate justice movement is arguing governments need to do. We need an independent panel of scientists creating the legislation on this. Not politicians looking for short-term gain. 

Unfortunately, we are way behind on our targets and our goverment is investing far more of our taxes in fossil fuels than it is in renewable energy. People will always be on the streets until that changes. 

I agree with much of what you're saying though and it appears that the XR media team do as well. This is the message they are sending to anyone attending the London demonstrations in October. It relates to how they speak to the media and public to ensure they aren't using it as a political platform. The movement voted as an overhwelming majority to support this message. 
" We have a historic opportunity to demonstrate that at the heart of all we do is the message that we can only face what's coming, together, by setting asside our political differences. And if we do, it will be the making of us." 

Now of course you will see some idiots in London. No doubt they will get too much attention on certain media sources. I'm only asking people see past the stereotypes and look at the bigger picture. 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Exactly what the climate justice movement is arguing governments need to do. We need an independent panel of scientists creating the legislation on this. Not politicians looking for short-term gain. 

Unfortunately, we are way behind on our targets and our goverment is investing far more of our taxes in fossil fuels than it is in renewable energy. People will always be on the streets until that changes. 

I agree with much of what you're saying though and it appears that the XR media team do as well. This is the message they are sending to anyone attending the London demonstrations in October. It relates to how they speak to the media and public to ensure they aren't using it as a political platform. The movement voted as an overhwelming majority to support this message. 
" We have a historic opportunity to demonstrate that at the heart of all we do is the message that we can only face what's coming, together, by setting asside our political differences. And if we do, it will be the making of us." 

Now of course you will see some idiots in London. No doubt they will get too much attention on certain media sources. I'm only asking people see past the stereotypes and look at the bigger picture. 

Absolutely. Very much like your quote, pleasing to read.

Is there any way you can report back to the media team? Seeing placards about Boris Johnson etc shows a small number not adhering to this message.

Can organisers on the ground demand these placards are removed before marches start, or even remove individuals (with police assistance) if deemed appropriate.

Feel free to use my views/comments as support.

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Absolutely. Very much like your quote, pleasing to read.

Is there any way you can report back to the media team? Seeing placards about Boris Johnson etc shows a small number not adhering to this message.

Can organisers on the ground demand these placards are removed before marches start, or even remove individuals (with police assistance) if deemed appropriate.

Feel free to use my views/comments as support.

I'm pretty sure I can get an email contact by asking around. I will pass on your message, thank you. 

I think you've made an important point which is it's a good message, but how do they make sure it's implemented. I think the police would find such a request amusing but the organisers definitely need to have a policy of removal. 

There will be plenty of placards related to the science and need to move away from fossil fuels. But left & right politics needs to keep away. Or as you said, it will be doomed to fail. 

• Site Supporter

There will be police there as part of management of numbers. I'm sure if someone kicked off because they had been asked to remove political signs, the police would be willing to help.

As for the science based signs; some of them were quite witty.

Their diversity of subject; whales, plastic, pollution, co2, etc highlight the overall effect of not looking after our planet.