Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

6 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

AOC is ace

To be fair that's what I thought when I was watching it. That AOC's reaction looked like one of concern for the wellbeing of the woman shouting the bollocks above anything else. And she handled it compassionately which was great. Might have backfired that stunt.

Is this the one that keeps having run ins with DT? One of the 'go back to where you came from' women? Or was that someone else?

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

To be fair that's what I thought when I was watching it. That AOC's reaction looked like one of concern for the wellbeing of the woman shouting the bollocks above anything else. And she handled it compassionately which was great. Might have backfired that stunt.

Is this the one that keeps having run ins with DT? One of the 'go back to where you came from' women? Or was that someone else?

Well she's everything Trump hates and I'm sure he dislikes her. That remark though was about the Somalian who represents Minneapolis

Ok, I’ve spent the day moving around central London, not been inconvenienced, had a little listen to the chat and the speeches. Will pop along tomorrow to have a listen on the way home.

if you are anti this movement, in this city it’s easy to not bother. The only folk who get worked up are those that either aren’t here, or looking to be het up about something.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Ok, I’ve spent the day moving around central London, not been inconvenienced, had a little listen to the chat and the speeches. Will pop along tomorrow to have a listen on the way home.

if you are anti this movement, in this city it’s easy to not bother. The only folk who get worked up are those that either aren’t here, or looking to be het up about something.

Did you travel by car, on foot , tube etc ?

I’ve not heard much about it today to be honest, just seen a few clips elsewhere.

What sort of numbers were out protesting ?

4 hours ago, royal white said:

Almost 300 arrested after one day. Numerous tweets flying about today of diesel generators that they’re using on camps in London and some of the unwashed queuing in McDonald’s 🤦‍♂️ Hypocrisy much?

They don’t do irony

They don’t seem to understand how they are being manipulated 

They don’t know the political agenda

All childlike, it seems 

9 hours ago, royal white said:

Almost 300 arrested after one day. Numerous tweets flying about today of diesel generators that they’re using on camps in London and some of the unwashed queuing in McDonald’s 🤦‍♂️ Hypocrisy much?

Ah, but they ordered Veggie Burgers and took their own straws, so that's fine.

You can't save the planet in one go. Small steps etc.

Edited by Traf

I listened to one of their spokespeople on the radio the other day. His argument was its such a huge crisis and government are not doing close to enough (and in many ways working against their own environmental targets) about it therefore extreme action is needed and works because it raises publicity and brings the issue into light.

I took his argument. I also agree though that annoying people might raise the issue but it also annoys them.

I'd bet there are plenty of well meaning protesters but also plenty who don't care one jot about the cause and just want to be idiots and cause trouble. 

What I will say though is that I don't think changing behavior of society is easy and certainly doesn't happen overnight. So its a question of whether people are more likely to change when shocked or gently prodded. I don't really know myself TBH. 

I think they realise that using diesel generators is hypocritical. I'm sure they would agree with you.

Their point is that the actions we can take as individuals are helpful but ultimately fruitless whilst we live in a system which is reliant on releasing carbon as a means of production/getting around/pretty much doing anything.

It's that system we're going to need to change.  And if a few folk in London need to be inconvenienced to force the issue higher up the agenda then I've no problem with that whatsoever.

As things stand - I'd vote for anybody who was putting climate change front and foremost in their manifesto. Everything else is just a sideshow.

11 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think they realise that using diesel generators is hypocritical. I'm sure they would agree with you.

Their point is that the actions we can take as individuals are helpful but ultimately fruitless whilst we live in a system which is reliant on releasing carbon as a means of production/getting around/pretty much doing anything.

It's that system we're going to need to change.  And if a few folk in London need to be inconvenienced to force the issue higher up the agenda then I've no problem with that whatsoever.

As things stand - I'd vote for anybody who was putting climate change front and foremost in their manifesto. Everything else is just a sideshow.

But the fact is that for government to be effective at tackling this crisis we need the public to be willing to not only change behaviour but to support that change. Its unlikely that any party who will put this front and centre will win an election - simply because said parties don't have a chance. So we need to pressure somehow all parties to prioritise it. That only happens if the public are willing and prioritise it themselves. So people should be saying they won't vote Tory unless they immediately stop their fossil fuel investment policy. 

But ultimately people in this country don't care that in 30 years we will almost certainly start losing parts to rising tides and instead just want us to spend billions on a no deal Brexit just so they can say they won. The sad fact is that most of those voters will be dead long before our coastlines are starting to disappear. 

I think the problem is that climate change or environmentalism has always been viewed as a 'left wing' thing. I'd agree it attracts more people from that side of the political spectrum - although I'm not really sure why that should be the case as anybody with half a brain must be horrified by the potential implications?

We're quite possibly at a make it break moment for the survival of the species here - and folk are still more concerned about whether the protests are going to put another 10 minutes on their journeys to work. I've got a 4 year old boy who's going to be seeing the consequences of all this. Fuck your commute!

If this was the Cuban missile crisis all over again - we'd all be glued to our televisions (or smartphones) desperately hoping that our leaders see sense. Seems to me that we're collectively sleepwalking into something worse.

I read the other day that a global temperature increase of 1.5 degrees has been projected to destroy around 75% of remaining coral reef by 2050. And 2 degrees would wipe it out altogether.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/international/2017/03/14/444348.htm

Fuck me - how bad do you want things to get before you stop fannying around worrying whether the protesters have got nose rings in and start doing something?

41 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Sleepwalking is the right word. And ER are trying to "shock" people out of it. Whether it works or not remains to be seen. But currently its a crisis yet we're not even doing 5% enough to avert the disaster we're bringing upon ourselves. 

Trouble is - it's you and me talking about it. And we're perceived as being 'on the left'. I wish some of the folk on here put as much energy into fighting climate change as they do into fighting grooming gangs. We'd be in with half a chance if only we could get everybody to pull in the same direction!

• Site Supporter

One of the leaders of xr interviewed earlier. Much to agree with (on the science and economic side). Some criticism about government on fossil fuel subsidies; didn't really understand what exactly she was saying in this regard, insufficient time to make the full point, so would like to know more about this.

She also made a very good point about the insurance industry suggesting large parts becoming uninsurable, something which I've touched on a long time ago. This also goes back to the point about rethinking development schemes and reforestation etc.

Can't fully agree with her about government needing to legislate more stringently though.

It's ok protesting and lying down in a street, but when decisions potentially make serious inroads into everyday living are folk willing to put up with them?

Does that then put that government at risk of being voted out?

Perhaps a 'parliamentary environment charter' needs to be considered, cross party and something which any government must adhere to, unless modified for the better, by parliament itself as new ideas become available.

That way the public know what's coming, could even campaign to improve it where necessary, but can't spit the dummy out if it causes a bit of inconvenience.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

One of the leaders of xr interviewed earlier. Much to agree with (on the science and economic side). Some criticism about government on fossil fuel subsidies; didn't really understand what exactly she was saying in this regard, insufficient time to make the full point, so would like to know more about this.

She also made a very good point about the insurance industry suggesting large parts becoming uninsurable, something which I've touched on a long time ago. This also goes back to the point about rethinking development schemes and reforestation etc.

Can't fully agree with her about government needing to legislate more stringently though.

It's ok protesting and lying down in a street, but when decisions potentially make serious inroads into everyday living are folk willing to put up with them?

Does that then put that government at risk of being voted out?

Perhaps a 'parliamentary environment charter' needs to be considered, cross party and something which any government must adhere to, unless modified for the better, by parliament itself as new ideas become available.

That way the public know what's coming, could even campaign to improve it where necessary, but can't spit the dummy out if it causes a bit of inconvenience.

I think point is that we need pubic pressure and opinion to realise that this is the biggest priority in the history of our world. That it cuts across everything else. And that severe and urgent action is required. So they need to be supportive and demanding of that. Otherwise as you say politicians can't move the needle.

Politicians have responsibility to lead and take a lead. Some, especially the government are failing to do this. But policy needs to be driven by activism and changing people's priorities and views - ground up politics if you like.