Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

University of Greater Manchester

only1swanny

For those who have kids planning on going to uni and are worrying about costs have they thought about the military? 100s of different trades, engineering, nursing, pilots, teaching, etc etc. Earn whilst you learn. Obviously it’s not suited to everyone but others May have not given it a thought. 

• Members
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The old days were far fairer. You went to uni on academic ability alone. A grant based on income of parents.

No bastard debt, accruing interest, which in many cases isn't getting paid.

This was part of the reason my lad was concerned- expected to be around £60k down after three years.

The level of outstanding loans is £205bn and is expected to double by 2040s.

It isn't sustainable, and a return to career pathways not all requiring a degree is necessary. 

Not necessarily

I got a full grant on the basis my older brother was at uni at the same time as me 

Mate of mine got a full one on the basis his parents were separated despite his dad being absolutely loaded 

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

What more could a student want than a massive spoons. Its a shame that the Bikeshed is closed - that was a lovely little bar/theatre place on Fore Street. I believe it's been turned into a music type bar. The Ram is the campus pub isn't it?. Oh, it seems I do know something else about Exeter. 

I've got a show at the Northcott in feb, can't say yet as its not annouced but it should be right up their street (ie its for the young cool folk) - l'll let you know and if they want a couple of tickets just shout.

Yeah, The Ram is on Campus, we ate & drank there last time we visited.
And yeah, I'm sure they'd appreciate any freebies! Thanks.

Re : finances, they'll get as many loans etc as they can qualify for based on the fact that the wife and I are self-employed and have had poor trading years recently, but the wife has been saving up for the last seven years to ensure they can get kitted out and afford to at least survive the first year.

Might start a gofundme page 😉 :D 

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Not necessarily

I got a full grant on the basis my older brother was at uni at the same time as me 

Mate of mine got a full one on the basis his parents were separated despite his dad being absolutely loaded 

Means tested then!

Perhaps outgoings were considered too- I wasn't the one filling in the details. 

Nevertheless, you know the point I was making. A fairer system, based on academic ability alone.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Means tested then!

Nevertheless, you know the point I was making. A fairer system, based on academic ability alone.

It wasn't necessarily fair if you're getting given money when you don't need it

My mate only later found he was eligible though didn't tell his dad, who he lived with, was sending him money monthly 

Don't know what the entry criteria is these days but I got in fair enough back in the 90s

Edited by DirtySanchez

34 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Means tested then!

It still is based of academic ability. They don’t just take any old fuckwit.  

I’d say they are asking for higher grades now than they were back in my day. 

Back when I was applying I knew someone who got a place on a maths degree with an E in A level maths. 

• Site Supporter

I can't believe people are being negative about this

A local business is aspiring for bigger and better status, bringing much needed revenue and employment to the area, yet folk are going off their tits because of nomenclature.

Can't stop progress, and nor should we.

Granted it was a long time ago, but when I left school, very few people went to Uni, and it was quite a thing, now it seems like every fucker goes. It's probably isn't any higher a percentage now than 30 years ago, but it certainly feels like it is to me.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Granted it was a long time ago, but when I left school, very few people went to Uni, and it was quite a thing, now it seems like every fucker goes. It's probably isn't any higher a percentage now than 30 years ago, but it certainly feels like it is to me.

It is. 

Already over 50% of 18 year olds go to uni.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

I can't believe people are being negative about this surprisingly few are on the the basis of the name change tbf discussion has turned to a broader one on Oxbridge/Elitsim/Student Loans etc

A local business is aspiring for bigger and better status, is it? Or is it just a name change?  bringing much needed revenue and employment to the area, we'll see  yet folk are going off their tits because of nomenclature. think it's more that it appears the council have gone balls deep in with the university as an 'anchor institution'  and now it feels like the university are selling the name of the town down the river (Irwell)

Can't stop progress, and nor should we. If progress is looking increasingly like 'dormitory town' for Manc

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Yeah, The Ram is on Campus, we ate & drank there last time we visited.
And yeah, I'm sure they'd appreciate any freebies! Thanks.

Re : finances, they'll get as many loans etc as they can qualify for based on the fact that the wife and I are self-employed and have had poor trading years recently, but the wife has been saving up for the last seven years to ensure they can get kitted out and afford to at least survive the first year.

Might start a gofundme page 😉 :D 

It's going to be a fantastic show by a new award winning playwright in her 20s from Manchester. I'll drop you some details.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

It still is based of academic ability. They don’t just take any old fuckwit.  

I’d say they are asking for higher grades now than they were back in my day. 

Back when I was applying I knew someone who got a place on a maths degree with an E in A level maths. 

Depends upon your course. 

I was working in HE when the changes started to come through.

Certain courses were knows as "catchers" for those who had failed to get in to the preferred course. It was about bums on seats for the funding.

Universities can also set whatever grades they want, but if insufficient people get them to fill places, then they will very quickly adjust requirements- they need to money to pay staff.

Grade achievement is down this year, and establishments will have to make adjustments.

I wonder what the requirements were for a degree in hand embroidery?

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

BWFC changed the stadium name to Toughsheet.

Money plus discussion = result for all concerned.

It’ll still be in Bolton. I just don’t see how it matters.

UCLAN does ok and nobody in Lancaster seems to care about the name.

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Depends upon your course. 

I was working in HE when the changes started to come through.

Certain courses were knows as "catchers" for those who had failed to get in to the preferred course. It was about bums on seats for the funding.

Universities can also set whatever grades they want, but if insufficient people get them to fill places, then they will very quickly adjust requirements- they need to money to pay staff.

Grade achievement is down this year, and establishments will have to make adjustments.

I wonder what the requirements were for a degree in hand embroidery?

Just checked.

BBC believe it or not!!

Edited by mickbrown

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Spider said:

BWFC changed the stadium name to Toughsheet.

Money plus discussion = result for all concerned.

It’ll still be in Bolton. I just don’t see how it matters.

UCLAN does ok and nobody in Lancaster seems to care about the name.

It doesn't matter if it puts more dosh in.

But it suggests prospective students don't view Bolton as a place to go or the top brass have little faith in the town's reputation. 

Bit bloody stupid given any bugger looking to apply will still know where it is.

I'll be intrigued to see if it ever yielded more money or increased reputation. Not that it would necessarily be easy to prove either way.