Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Season Tickets 24/25

L/H White

7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

It is unreal. It's also very out of keeping with BWFC support trends. We'd always been capable of pulling in very big gates but there was a fickleness over a season. That tendency seems to have evaporated. 

Also, the overall support base seems to be gently growing all the time, regardless of the frustrations that crop up during a season.

No precedent for any of this in my time supporting the club really, certainly not outside the top flight. You have to go back to the mid 70s for anything remotely close.

It all bodes well for when we finally get out of League 1, whether that's this year or another.

Not disputing the impressive levels of support generally - another superb turnout yesterday for a nothing match really - but not sure the levels have fluctuated any more in previous seasons have they?  Some very poor turnouts midweek, its just we don't get to hear it officially, its all based on educated guesses on the night.  And mid winter Saturdays were definitely less attended than some eg Bristol Rovers/Orient - but the only concrete figures we can compare with previous seasons are S/T sales, which with the benefit of reduced prices have clearly increased.  More £10 community days another boost to average crowds.

Overall its a great positive vibe currently and long may it continue, if/when we get back to the championship we will surely be looking at sellouts in some of the bigger games assuming we are competitive on the field.

8 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

I agree with all that and I'm not being negative but there have been two 5s and a 7 in that. Add an 8 against United kids in the cup and it looks like we are attacking every two minutes.  Truth is we're not. We're still (decent) shot shy and missing sitters.

It's been a good season and not over yet, but converting more sitters and actually having a pot on goa land we'd have been home and hosed by now.

I don't think anyone is counting games in that cup are they?  Not sure why they would, literally men against boys.  The point of the two 5s and a 7 is that it shows a relentless streak which I've been wanting for years, it was always our habit to go maybe 2 goals up then sit on it and it became boring (I'm going back years, pre-IE).  Taking some teams to the cleaners per season (we had two 5-0's last season too) is refreshing and makes for great memories in a season of very few "memorable" results/games and zero late winners in home games to send the crowd into raptures, which has to be almost unique in my time as a fan.

2 hours ago, Traf said:

I think we'll have fewer people in the ground next season if we go up.
We'd definitely be candidates for a bottom-third finish and that doesn't motivate people to turn out.

You're probably right, I may have got carried away with talk of sell outs, if its bottom third territory, its not happening, although the early season games if against big clubs may be 25k etc.  The other factor is how many games may get switched for TV, which is going to alter the atmosphere and effect the habit of folk expecting to attend most games.  A discussion for another day, hopefully! 

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I don't think anyone is counting games in that cup are they?  Not sure why they would, literally men against boys.  The point of the two 5s and a 7 is that it shows a relentless streak which I've been wanting for years, it was always our habit to go maybe 2 goals up then sit on it and it became boring (I'm going back years, pre-IE).  Taking some teams to the cleaners per season (we had two 5-0's last season too) is refreshing and makes for great memories in a season of very few "memorable" results/games and zero late winners in home games to send the crowd into raptures, which has to be almost unique in my time as a fan.

No, I know you're not counting the kids game (even though 8 goals still want scoring), you mentioned the 21 in the middle.

I'm saying that 17 of the extra 20 came in 3 games, so in the 18 other games we were bang ordinary, apart from Wigan and Carlisle where we weren't even  ordinary, bang or otherwise.

It's still been a great season and I'm far from being in the negative camp.

• Site Supporter
On 21/04/2024 at 18:48, Traf said:

I think we'll have fewer people in the ground next season if we go up.
We'd definitely be candidates for a bottom-third finish and that doesn't motivate people to turn out.

Home or combined?

I reckon average attendance will likely be higher, given number of sizeable away followings. 

Home totals will depend, as you say, on performance. 

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Home or combined?

I reckon average attendance will likely be higher, given number of sizeable away followings. 

Home totals will depend, as you say, on performance. 

Home. We might sell 16,000 season tickets, but get embroiled in a relegation battle and there'll be less than 10k turning out in winter.

14 minutes ago, Traf said:

Home. We might sell 16,000 season tickets, but get embroiled in a relegation battle and there'll be less than 10k turning out in winter.

Nah we are all optimists remember. We are finishing 2nd 😁

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Attendances will still be reported as those sold though, as they are now. 

Not sure what your point is there. We were discussing bums on seats, not tickets sold.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You won't really know. 

Estimates are just that, and they vary wildly as observed from guesses on here.

we will

we know a member of the turnstile team, they know exactly how many come through the gate before the official attendance is announced

we knew there was only 10k on v Oxford just before they announced it as 19k as they told us on whatsapp, as they do most games

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Zico said:

we will

we know a member of the turnstile team, they know exactly how many come through the gate before the official attendance is announced

we knew there was only 10k on v Oxford just before they announced it as 19k as they told us on whatsapp, as they do most games

Was there fuck only 10k against Oxford 😂 No wonder your mate has ended up working on turnstiles

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Was there fuck only 10k against Oxford 😂 No wonder your mate has ended up working on turnstiles

So how many was it?

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Zico said:

So how many was it?

Probably a couple of thousand short of the official attendance, but it certainly wasn't half of it ffs.

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Probably a couple of thousand short of the official attendance, but it certainly wasn't half of it ffs.

Well this person is privvy to the numbers and no reason to make them up

Not sure why you'd doubt it, unless you think they're making it up, but if you don't believe it, that's ok

Midweek, on TV, very small away following, sparse home ends

Certainly nearer 10k than 17k 

Often the case midweek

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Zico said:

Not sure why you'd doubt it, unless you think they're making it up

Often the case midweek

I don't give a fuck to be honest.

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Not sure why you'd doubt it, unless you think they're making it up, but if you don't believe it, that's ok

Often the case midweek

Definitely.  It was very sparse, definitely lowest this season.

In comparison when cup games are played and we all buy tickets, the official attendance is a true reflection.  10k v Luton but ESL and WSL were much fuller than for evening league games (not many in NSL and top tiers shut obviously).