Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Signings This Season

If all the prices quoted in the media are correct, we have spent ?0 this season, in fact according to the figures below we are ?435,000 in credit:

In:

Dzeamaili - Free

Cid - Free

Samuel - Free

McCann - ?1m

Braaten - ?425,000

Wilhelmsson - loan

Alonso - loan

Helguson - ?1.9m

Guthrie - loan

O'Brien - ?1.2m

Cohen - ?40,000

Steinsson - ?3.5m

Cahill - ?5m

Taylor - ?4m

Raziak - loan

Out:

Faye - ?2m

Anelka - ?15m

Speed - Free

Michalik - ?500,000

So what is the verdict on the above?

O'Brien, Guthrie, McCann, Samuel, Cahill, Steinsson are all definite hits IMO.

Jury still out on Taylor.

All the rest are misses.

But pretty good business at the prices.

The outgoings (not Michalik) have perhaps hurt us more than the incoming plusses have benefitted us though?

*edit* missed the important inclusion of Speed in the outgoings.

Edited by bristol_wanderer

If all the prices quoted in the media are correct, we have spent ?0 this season, in fact according to the figures below we are ?435,000 in credit:

In:

Dzeamaili - Free

Cid - Free

Samuel - Free

McCann - ?1m

Braaten - ?425,000

Wilhelmsson - loan

Alonso - loan

Helguson - ?1.9m

Guthrie - loan

O'Brien - ?1.2m

Cohen - ?40,000

Steinsson - ?3.5m

Cahill - ?5m

Taylor - ?4m

Raziak - loan

Out:

Faye - ?2m

Anelka - ?15m

Michalik - ?500,000

All the rest are misses.

The outgoings (not Michalik) have perhaps hurt us more than the incoming plusses have benefitted us though?

IMO I would think that Taylor has contirbuted more than Samuel.

cohen at 40k seems a solid buy as a squad player for me.

Dzemaili i think has been unlucky with his injury ruining his season i still think he could prove ok

Braaten, Willy, Alonso, Cid all misses for me

Rasiak hasn't been a miss as such as he's been as pants as we all knew he would be.

Helgusson has been good when he's played and scored a couple as well however i don't think he'll be here next year

Out of the outgoing players I'd say we've only genuinely missed Anelka. Michalik will never cut it as a Premiership centre-half and Faye has shown himself to be error prone at Newcastle. We may have missed his physical presence in the team though, always thought he was most effective in centre mid.Don't forget Speed was a big player for us as well over the last 3 seasons, so that was a big void to fill

cohen at 40k seems a solid buy as a squad player for me.Dzemaili i think has been unlucky with his injury ruining his season i still think he could prove okBraaten, Willy, Alonso, Cid all misses for meRasiak hasn't been a miss as such as he's been as pants as we all knew he would be.Helgusson has been good when he's played and scored a couple as well however i don't think he'll be here next year
Can you explain to me what Cohen actually brings to the team?! Seems to make more fouls than passes in a game to me. We improved in the games against Wigan and Boro after he came off. I'd agree that the other players you mention have been flops though

• Site Supporter
Out of the outgoing players I'd say we've only genuinely missed Anelka. Michalik will never cut it as a Premiership centre-half and Faye has shown himself to be error prone at Newcastle. We may have missed his physical presence in the team though, always thought he was most effective in centre mid.Don't forget Speed was a big player for us as well over the last 3 seasons, so that was a big void to fillCan you explain to me what Cohen actually brings to the team?! Seems to make more fouls than passes in a game to me. We improved in the games against Wigan and Boro after he came off. I'd agree that the other players you mention have been flops though

he has made a handfull of appearances, give the lad a chance ffs.

looks a respectable player to me.

Can you explain to me what Cohen actually brings to the team?! Seems to make more fouls than passes in a game to me. We improved in the games against Wigan and Boro after he came off. I'd agree that the other players you mention have been flops though

he seems a solid defensive midfielder.

at first he seemed flumoxed by the pace of the premiership but he seedmed to be improving, he then took that knock and didn't really play.

at wigan and boro we replaced him (a defensive player) with an attacking one so things were always going to change

In:

Dzeamaili - Free

Cid - Free

Samuel - Free

McCann - ?1m

Braaten - ?425,000

Wilhelmsson - loan

Alonso - loan

Helguson - ?1.9m

Guthrie - loan

O'Brien - ?1.2m

Cohen - ?40,000

Steinsson - ?3.5m

Cahill - ?5m

Taylor - ?4m

Raziak - loan

Out:

Faye - ?2m

Anelka - ?15m

Speed - Free

Michalik - ?500,000

All the rest are misses.

*edit* missed the important inclusion of Speed in the outgoings.

As we have cleverly balanced the books and somehow managed to stay up, it is time for the club to SPEND, penny pinching will see us relegated, financially the prem is the only place to be, and if this board will not do it, I hink they should move on and let someone else sanction some decent transfer funds.

I think we'll spend quite a lot this summer.

In fact it will be big money for us: maybe not big compared to others, but I reckon it'll be Bolton's largest spending since we got promoted.

Didn't we also get money from the David Norris sale from Plymouth to Ipswich to add to this?

I think we'll spend quite a lot this summer.

In fact it will be big money for us: maybe not big compared to others, but I reckon it'll be Bolton's largest spending since we got promoted.

if were to progress on this seasons efforts, i'de say 3 midfielders who can pass and with pace at least 1 striker and a couple of wide men,as a guess i think youre lookin at 40million,thats just to take us back to where we were.

can see megson getting a quater of that if he's lucky.

• Site Supporter
if were to progress on this seasons efforts, i'de say 3 midfielders who can pass and with pace at least 1 striker and a couple of wide men,as a guess i think youre lookin at 40million,thats just to take us back to where we were.

can see megson getting a quater of that if he's lucky.

no point in buying a load of average players.

buy 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 1 striker, but make them decent...

then maybe a few kids from lower divisions..

after this seasons attempt to spread the money around, I think we should go for quality rather than quantity.

last season we bought a lot of 'average' players in.

in jan we spent much more money and this improved the team.

we need to improve midfield and upfront with more energy and pace.

we need to be looking at ?20m+.

I would be looking at 2 forwards, as only Davies has come upto the mark, 1 midfielder with energy and pace 1 midfielder who can create, and left back, this is minimum requirement, could easily cost us 30 million to get the required quality.

If Walker decides to leave we'd need to be in the market for a goalkeeper too.

Al-Habsi will have the number one shirt but should he get injured of suspended, I wouldn't want to throw Bogdan in yet.

• Site Supporter

i dont see left back as a priority, gardner and samuel are adequate..

like already mentioned before, if we just signed sidwell and bent, i'd be more than happy.

i'd be happy with sidwell or perhaps even bullard. we really need a front man who can actually score, some one who will actually be in the box when the ball is played in! i'd go for crouch, with taylor the provider should work a treat

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.