Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Why Do We Hate Man Utd?

mixup

• Members

Good story that Mounts. I was never destined for anywhere other than Burnden. Apart from an uncle from Saltburn who was a Boro fan, I can't think of a single family member who wasn't a white.

Doesn't matter though. The thing you said about the magic of Burnden is bang on. Reeked of tradition and history and it used to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when it was empty. We gave that inheritance away far too cheaply. All for the mighty dollar and a soulless concrete bowl. Should never have parted with it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis Edwards made his fortune selling condemned meat to schools. He was the sleaziest rum fcuker ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Edwards.

Louis Edwards butchers chain used to bank with us and the manager of his Walkden shop always paid in at the last minute on Saturday mornings when I wanted to shut up, cash up and get to the match. I took great delight in closing the door when he was half way across the road if he was a minute late. Manc cnut.

• Members
Louis Edwards butchers chain used to bank with us and the manager of his Walkden shop always paid in at the last minute on Saturday mornings when I wanted to shut up, cash up and get to the match. I took great delight in closing the door when he was half way across the road if he was a minute late. Manc cnut.

:rofl: Love it H. Wrong un that fcuker.

I must also add even as a 10 year old I was aware that Man U was a massive club and Bolton were different, but even at that young age I was impressed that even though Bolton fans were small in number the loyalty and passion that Bolton fans showed was intense and it struck a chord in me, the Lever end was a special place to be, I had never heard such noise no matter how bad the team were playing, the David and goliath comparison between Man U and Bolton was rudely driven home to me when they visited Burnden in March 1975. I can still remeber the match ticket a plain buff colour and simply printed, I kept it for about 10 years, any how I went with an adult relative who was a Man U fan, we had tickets in the Burnden seats, I could see trouble kicking off in the Lever End I knew a lot of the lads in there were LH reds and my sister went on to marry one of them, I was gutted as I looked round the ground and it was a sea of UTD, it was very painful and I can still remember the hurt that Bolton fans were massively outnumbered I would say 3 to 1 and on our own patch, Man U scored and the ground seemed to erupt, there is little wonder my hatred for Man U burns me to this day, I trace it back to that March day in 1975.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

My Dad took me to Maine road at about 10 years old, unfortunately for some reason it was not for me, my family moved from Broughton area to Little Hulton before I was born, nearly all the lads at my school were Man united, but that made no impression on me, as soon as i was allowed to travel on my own when I was about 10, I would walk up to bolton road at hilltop and catch the 42 bus to Burnden, I was somehow hooked on Burnden Park and Bolton Wanderers the ground was atmospheric despite a good few years of decline, I can still smell the smell of Burnden now cigar/pipe smoke grass and the smell of winter green, I think it was the first time I had freedom to do my own thing and I loved it, It must be said I had a second team (Derby County) that love ended when we beat them in the 76 1/4 final, as the song goes BORN TO BE A WANDERER.

admit it mounts, i was your role model....L O L :rofl: :rofl:

I must also add even as a 10 year old I was aware that Man U was a massive club and Bolton were different, but even at that young age I was impressed that even though Bolton fans were small in number the loyalty and passion that Bolton fans showed was intense and it struck a chord in me, the Lever end was a special place to be, I had never heard such noise no matter how bad the team were playing, the David and goliath comparison between Man U and Bolton was rudely driven home to me when they visited Burnden in March 1975. I can still remeber the match ticket a plain buff colour and simply printed, I kept it for about 10 years, any how I went with an adult relative who was a Man U fan, we had tickets in the Burnden seats, I could see trouble kicking off in the Lever End I knew a lot of the lads in there were LH reds and my sister went on to marry one of them, I was gutted as I looked round the ground and it was a sea of UTD, it was very painful and I can still remember the hurt that Bolton fans were massively outnumbered I would say 3 to 1 and on our own patch, Man U scored and the ground seemed to erupt, there is little wonder my hatred for Man U burns me to this day, I trace it back to that March day in 1975.

I was there too Mounts. Burnden Park was truly a sea of red that day. Very sad.

I may be wrong, but I think we lost 1 - 0 and the goalscorer was Stuart Pearson.

I love reading these stories about the "old days", and the hatred between rival fans, and the different memories that people have. I just wish that I could have experienced some of them, the main one being mentioned about a month ago when we won promotion at Blackburn. What a bastard it is to be young <_< .

One side of my family is from Manchester and follow the scum. I always get the shit ripped out of me for how little old Bolton are doing, but it just makes those times like the 2 victories at O.T a few years ago even sweeter. To them beating us is just normality and nothing special, but to us a victory means so much more, and they will never get that feeling of being the underdog and winning when least expected. I think for me it was the love of the underdog mentality which is why I chose Bolton, when the trend of kids my age 10, 15 years ago was to support United and rarely go to a game, I always wanted the underdog to win in any contest and still do to this day.

I was there too Mounts. Burnden Park was truly a sea of red that day. Very sad.

I may be wrong, but I think we lost 1 - 0 and the goalscorer was Stuart Pearson.

I was in the Lever End, a naive 14 year old; shitting myself.

• Site Supporter

I was also there. For some reason and I can't remember why, me and a few mates had gone to Manchester on the train in the morning. Came home around 12 ish to go to the match. We never said a word all the way back to Bolton for fear someone might 'out' us as Wanderers supporters.

Got into Lever End and the place was packed with United fans who had been up to Bolton the week before to buy tickets.

I blame the ticket office!

I was in the Lever End, a naive 14 year old; shitting myself.

I was 15 on that fateful day, I was carried out of the Lever End on a stretcher after being beaten senseless by a couple of Salford cnuts, whilst on the stretcher some redshit thought it would be funny to set my scarf on fire!!!ll All night in Bolton Royal.

RED TW@TS

Because in the last two days ive been asked "Did you watch that match last night, it was amazing" or "Did you see that goal, shear class". The answer was "No i never, i dont support them, im Bolton and England, whatever they do doesnt interest me" I love upsetting people :good: Oh, and a was born on the aniversary of the Munich :good:

Yes, I was there too.

I was in the Lever End also - and I remember the area we had was squashed smaller and smaller and smaller as the United end of the Lever end grew bigger and bigger.

After a while I got sick of this and stood in between the sets of both fans - I wasn't looking for trouble or anything - just wanted to get out of the squash. I was 18 at the time.

The funny thing was that no one really bothered me - a steward or policeman - I can't remember which, ask what I was doing - and I simply said I was claustrophobic and I was just moving clear of the crowd - and they just let me be!!

I obviously stood only a yard or two from our supporters - but there I was for a large part of the match - stood on my own - behind the goal - between both sets of fans and the police and the stewards!

I didn't chant or sing or taunt the United fans, nothing - I just stood there quietly watching the game - and was left alone in peace.

Probably sounds incredible but it is absolutely true.

I had long since forgotten all about it until reading this thread brought back the memories flooding back!!

Happy days.

admit it mounts, i was your role model....L O L :rofl: :rofl:

I was a white long before I knew you, sorry to pour water on that, if i remember rightly you moved in across the road from me when I was about 15, I have to admit at that time you were the first Bolton fan I had seen with the badge and I think I may of asked you where you had it done, the answer was a guy behind the shops on Eastham way, I even remember the lads name Alan Dixon who was a salford/eccles lad who did tattos cheap in his front room, as soon as I hit 16 I saved up the the ?12 required and did the deed, unfortunately forgot to tell my dad(who is a blue) and was thrown out of the house, until my mum came looking for me and invited me back home, she said she loved it, god bless her.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I love reading these stories about the "old days", and the hatred between rival fans, and the different memories that people have. I just wish that I could have experienced some of them, the main one being mentioned about a month ago when we won promotion at Blackburn. What a bastard it is to be young <_< .

One side of my family is from Manchester and follow the scum. I always get the shit ripped out of me for how little old Bolton are doing, but it just makes those times like the 2 victories at O.T a few years ago even sweeter. To them beating us is just normality and nothing special, but to us a victory means so much more, and they will never get that feeling of being the underdog and winning when least expected. I think for me it was the love of the underdog mentality which is why I chose Bolton, when the trend of kids my age 10, 15 years ago was to support United and rarely go to a game, I always wanted the underdog to win in any contest and still do to this day.

I think that plays a big part for me as well, I think it must play a big part for any fan of the smaller less fashionable clubs.

I remember that match even if it was one of those that I preferred to forget. The crowd was about four times the average for that season boosted by returning Wanderers supporters hoping that 'good would again triumph over evil' and red hordes who had little idea of why they were so disliked. Some good obviously came of it as it confirmed MK as a true white.

One of my abiding memories is going to Old Trafford with a pal in 1957 when Man U were celebrating the opening of their floodlights. There was a full house and as we were both small (only twelve years old each) we could see nothing unless Man U supporters let us through to near the front. Try as we did none of them would make way. It is the only time I have been to a match and never seen the pitch. Even so the Wanderers spoiled their celebrations and ran out 2-0 winners.

I was also a Lever Ender from the start and recall the smell of pipe tobacco, winter green and crown ale and nip strong served from the bar beneath the wing stand at the Manchester Road side.

My first away match was at Blackpool in 1954 and I find it hard to believe that I was allowed to go. A small group of us in the summer holidays had decided to try to form a football team and raise money to buy the strip. The older lads, who were about twelve at the time, decided after a little while that the idea was not going to work but there was enough money for us all to go to Blackpool to watch the Wanderers. That's what we did. The 3-2 victory, courtesy of goals from Nat Lofthouse and Harry Webster, were something of a consolation for the defeat in the previous year's cup final.

I remember that match even if it was one of those that I preferred to forget. The crowd was about four times the average for that season boosted by returning Wanderers supporters hoping that 'good would again triumph over evil' and red hordes who had little idea of why they were so disliked. Some good obviously came of it as it confirmed MK as a true white.

One of my abiding memories is going to Old Trafford with a pal in 1957 when Man U were celebrating the opening of their floodlights. There was a full house and as we were both small (only twelve years old each) we could see nothing unless Man U supporters let us through to near the front. Try as we did none of them would make way. It is the only time I have been to a match and never seen the pitch. Even so the Wanderers spoiled their celebrations and ran out 2-0 winners.

I was also a Lever Ender from the start and recall the smell of pipe tobacco, winter green and crown ale and nip strong served from the bar beneath the wing stand at the Manchester Road side.

My first away match was at Blackpool in 1954 and I find it hard to believe that I was allowed to go. A small group of us in the summer holidays had decided to try to form a football team and raise money to buy the strip. The older lads, who were about twelve at the time, decided after a little while that the idea was not going to work but there was enough money for us all to go to Blackpool to watch the Wanderers. That's what we did. The 3-2 victory, courtesy of goals from Nat Lofthouse and Harry Webster, were something of a consolation for the defeat in the previous year's cup final.

excellent stuff mixup I could red these old tales over and over again.

I I had never heard such noise no matter how bad the team were playing, the David and goliath comparison between Man U and Bolton was rudely driven home to me when they visited Burnden in March 1975.

Unfortunately that was 2 years before I started going (regularly at least - I'd been to one or two games before as part of school friends birthday does).

BUT two United games cemented it for me - the Div 1 games at Burnden.

First just before Xmas 1978 32k in Burnden and for once the Filth heavily outnumbered in that figure. Night match and so that added to the atmosphere, though with a 3-0 win what more did we need adding :yahoo:

The next year it was April - indeed, tuesday of last week was the 29th anniversary. Now things were different - we were shite (lost 3-1) and half the 32k were Reds. They had the big away bit of the Embankment plus most of the "no-mans land" that was supposed to separate that from the small bit next to the Paddock that some home fans were in. At one point the police lost control as United fans in that bit kicked off - and I can distinctly remember the entire mass of them starting to move, and if just a few had really gone the rest would have followed. That would have been the mother of all battles, with entire Embankment's worth of Filth clashing with the entire Paddock. There was just a few seconds where the police fooked up so badly that that was about to happen - I can picture it now, clear as day.

It didn't, but we got stuffed and of course, relegated big time.

I suppose I mellowed a bit towards them in most of the intervening years, primarily through indifference, but one thing really turned me back (apart from Black Sunday) was when the punishment was handed down to Ferdinand for missing the drugs test. The club solicitor Maurice Watkins came out after the hearing and described the ban he got as "savage". Now this was just a couple of days after the Soham verdict had been handed down to Huntley. So the nation was coming to terms with what "savage" really meant. To use that phrase at that point - about a player who was still going to be paid and would "earn" more during the ban than most would see in a lifetime - shows just how far up their own arses that club are, especially given they knew full well it in reality was the club's (not just Ferdinands) fault thanks to decisions made on the day.

Ćunts.

• Members

Remember it well Mounts. Started off with the normal routine - headed off tert Trotters for opening time. As soon as I got to Bradshawgate, it was obvious the filth would be there in serious numbers. A few skirmishes kicking off and I remember that, as I apprached the Trotters, a bird from the chippy three doors from the Clarence running up to me and asking for help to stop a brawl in their doorway with the words "You're a policeman aren't you?" WTF??? I did used to get that a lot with the haircut. Must have had a doppelganger walloper or summat.

Few minor scuffles in the Trotters doorway but Ernie the landlord had it covered and put a few heavies on the door with a 'regulars only' entry policy. Got well oiled with the Burnden paddock crew I used to go with and then gave the DMB's sh1t all the way down Manny Road. No takers.

Once in the paddock, there were feckin loads of em in there towards the Lever End. Kicking off all day as I am sure many will remember. Some of em came up looking for it in the middle and got it big style. They didn't try again. Heard a few tasty stories from the downstairs bars etc at half time but didn't see any of it meself.

Remember being devastated with the result. Never saw any of the filthy fcukers after the game as we always nipped out the back and over Bromwich St and had a swifty in the Braddy on the way home. There would have been some heading back to Bury etc but they wouldn't have been game to show their true colours on that side of town.

Like many others, I have fonder memories of the double season with that Friday night game at Burnden in particular. Also remember a time when about 50 of us organised to go up there for some mischief in a Euro game they had v Porto. Bowtners in the Stretford paddock supporting Porto. That was a fun night :D

Remember it well Mounts. Started off with the normal routine - headed off tert Trotters for opening time. As soon as I got to Bradshawgate, it was obvious the filth would be there in serious numbers. A few skirmishes kicking off and I remember that, as I apprached the Trotters, a bird from the chippy three doors from the Clarence running up to me and asking for help to stop a brawl in their doorway with the words "You're a policeman aren't you?" WTF??? I did used to get that a lot with the haircut. Must have had a doppelganger walloper or summat.

Few minor scuffles in the Trotters doorway but Ernie the landlord had it covered and put a few heavies on the door with a 'regulars only' entry policy. Got well oiled with the Burnden paddock crew I used to go with and then gave the DMB's sh1t all the way down Manny Road. No takers.

• Members

....waiting with bated breath. You were there weren't you? Playing Space Invaders?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.