Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Vaz Te

from the evenin news

RICARDO Vaz Te has vowed to win back the love of Wanderers?supporters and prove his once-promising Premier League career is not over.

The Reebok?s forgotten man, still only 22, has played less than three hours of football in the last two seasons after being sidelined by a series of crippling knee injuries.

But after undergoing pioneering microfracture surgery last season on damaged knee ligaments, the former Portugal Under-21 international claims there is some light at the end of the tunnel in his latest comeback attempt.

?The diagnoses of my injuries were career-ending, which is very scary at my age but it has been addressed well,? he said. ?To look forward to the future is great because it?s quite bright now.

?It?s like I have been in the dark for two years and the sun has just started shining.

?It?s helped me keep the faith and hopefully I can come back and change people?s minds about me.?

Vaz Te is training six days a week with Wanderers physio Nick Worth and his assistant Andy Renshaw, gradually stepping up his workload to meet an August deadline set by his surgeons.

It is an all-too-familiar situation for the young striker, who is entering his seventh season in English football.

Injuries have checked his progress to the degree that Vaz Te claims supporters have forgotten that he was a part of the Wanderers squad.

?For two years people have been asking: Where is Vaz Te? Is he on loan?? he said.

?That?s disappointing. They don?t really know what has been going on.

?Perhaps they think I?m not good enough, or that I have gone big time, or that I?m a different player than I was three or four years ago in the Sam Allardyce era. That?s not the case ? I have just been unlucky with injuries and I have to deal with that. Everyone is out enjoying their summer now but I am enjoying it here. It has been a while since I did this kind of running and training.

?If it gets me back playing, and for the fans to see that I am not dead, I am still here, then I will try my best. Hopefully they will love me more than before.?

Vaz Te made only two substitute appearances for the club last season, confessing that he had rushed into a comeback from a serious knee injury sustained on the first day of the 2007-8 campaign against Newcastle United.

It is a mistake he is keen not to repeat, and while he is aiming to play a part in the club?s pre-season preparations, Vaz Te is determined to prove his detractors wrong. He said: ?If I get back for the start of pre-season I?d be delighted but I am trying not to put a time on my recovery. That is what I did wrong before, so I am trying to stick to the plan which is nine months ? in August.

?If I need a bit of extra time, I will take it. People will appreciate it because I won?t be injured again in three months, which makes people start doubting me, as they are doing right now.

?I am only concerned with getting fit and when I do, I can get their love back.?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I can see it now.....

"although we have been quiet other the summer, for me the return of Ricardo is like a new signing and should be viewed as such"

I do feel a bit sorry for the lad as hes not had the best of luck over the last couple of years, i remember watching him in pre season 2007 and he was superb,

Good luck Vaz, last chance saloon

Sorry Mr Vaz Te, but you were utter shite before your injuries....a sorry excuse for a footballer. You had chance after chance after chance and never took it.

I know this seems harsh, but if anyone is under the impression Vaz Te is going to be the next Ronaldo then think again.

I laugh when I think of the number of times he fell over with no opposition player within 5 yards.

Sorry Mr Vaz Te, but you were utter shite before your injuries....a sorry excuse for a footballer. You had chance after chance after chance and never took it.

I know this seems harsh, but if anyone is under the impression Vaz Te is going to be the next Ronaldo then think again.

I laugh when I think of the number of times he fell over with no opposition player within 5 yards.

I laugh when I think how many full games he played <_<

I doubt that anyone is under that impression.

I just believe if he gets fit and stays fit, he could be a very effective player next season.

Edited by KP

There'll always be Guimaraes

In one, all of the above is forgiven for that goal =D>

The one and only time I let an unknown strange fat man embrace me as though I was one of his own.

Guest bwfcdan

Good luck to him. He's definately got the ability, he showed it in pre season a few year back. Just needs to keep injury free and get some premiership experiance under his belt.

• Moderators
Ill always remember him for that shite 0-0 game at ewood when he rounded friedel with a open net in the 90th min, then does his bambi on ice thing.

Pure gash that lad always was always will be!

wheteher he is or not, missing an absolute sitter proves nowt

unless of course anelkas worse miss at anfield makes him 'pure gash' too

rvt is still a kid - started less than 25 games at a guess

he had that one good patch when he scored 3 in 3 (i think)

don't know of anybody we've still got who has done that for us

is he good enough, probably not

have we anybody else better for the same price....have we fcuk

Indeed.

If Vaz never plays again after this career threatening injury, he will always hold a place in my heart for that goal that topped off an unbelievable first trip into Europe for me watching the Whites. A place I thought was beyond our wildest dreams when watching us at in Division 4.

wheteher he is or not, missing an absolute sitter proves nowt

unless of course anelkas worse miss at anfield makes him 'pure gash' too

rvt is still a kid - started less than 25 games at a guess

I first saw him in an FA Cup tie at Oldham. A 17 year old who looked the best attacking prospect from our youth set up since Neil Whatmore who also used to be accused of falling over. He was a top player in his age group for Portgual U-18s and U-21s.

Would love him to succeed to say we can do it and attract other top youngsters which thankfully we seem trying to do once more.

he had that one good patch when he scored 3 in 3 (i think)

Wasn't that part of a sequence of 5 in 10? A good enough ratio for any team.

I think the lad has the ability - its just a case of whats going on in his head. He probably needs a run of games in a lower league to get his confidence back up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.