Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Big Sam

as punching above his weight with wanting a top 4 spot? why the fuck not? what would you rather do,not aspire to greatness or just resiegn yourself to mid table mediocraty? fucking nonsense.

Exactly, we were in it for 21 games or whatever it was why not try to stay there for the remaining 17 games. Otherwise whats the point? The aim is to do as good as you can, and to at least try and win trophys when the chance is there. Not throwing away a chance in a uefa cup when your playing a poor sporting lisbon side. If the sole aim year in year out is to come 14th -17th in the league, and to fk the cups off* to make sure thats achieved then i'll end up not bothering. Im at the age where i'll still go. Give it ten years maybe i wont bother.

* thankfully weve now a manager who will want to do as well as possible in the cups i think no matter where we are in the league table

• Members

Banging heads against brick walls. Two facts matter:-

1) Sam Allardyce is the best manager BWFC has had since Bill Ridding. The records prove this.

2) In some cases, Sams biggest detractors on here were also Gary fcuking Megsons biggest supporters. Curious but true.

• Moderators

if having a belief allardyce was making unreasonable demands is being a detractor, guilty as charged

if having a belief allardyce left when his stock was at it's highest, guilty as charged

if thinking it was better for all concerned that he left, guilty as charged

• Site Supporter

no, turns out it was leeds who put all the good work in with Danny Ward

as said already, v difficult for any manager to take credit for a player coming through an academy really due to timescales and, unless they have them from day 1, at what age can a club take the credit for developing them?

I think we can though all agree that he put the foundations in place for our current academy and vision for it

though since his departure I wouldn't know if the next managers / regimes have carried on what he planned, changed what he planned or completely scrapped it

I know that some of the legacy he help set up at the club was dismantled after his deprature, training methods and the like but dunno how far it went

at the end of the day, he took the team he had to top 8 4 years in a row and when he got it into a position when he thought he could take it further still, the board chose not to back him, rightly or wrongly

and people are slating him for this and knocking what he did for us?

Watched Ward palying for Swindon v Exetera other night, only one game i know but looked pretty ordinary. Cant say he stood out like you would expect an attacking wide midfielder in a "lower" league.

Edited by Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

sam allaryce had no scouting network in place. his theory was let the players come to him (via agents)

megson put a true european scouting network in place, because he didnt really like agents.

so im told anyway.

i suppose each method had its benefits.

Edited by HomerJay

• Moderators

We all know what he did, Christ he told us enough. Just I think we should retain the truth rather than forget the dozens of shit players he signed at the expense of giving some kid a go. When he drones on about money we should remember some of the players he signed.

He got my 100% support whilst he was here, like everyone else. But he's gone, he shit on us and he isn't a later day saint.

sam allaryce had no scouting network in place. his theory was let the players come to him (via agents)

megson put a true european scouting network in place, because he didnt really like agents.

so im told anyway.

i suppose each method had its benefits.

Hmmmmm bet he doesn't dislike his mate Mark Curtis does he?

You aren't far wrong about Allardyce though

Mccann was signed by sam before he had a giddy fit, it was just kept quiet.

Lets face it, Fat Sam saw the bright lights of 4th, getting the England job then a Job at no.10. When Phil brought him back down to earth he couldn't deal with it.

Gartside gets a hard time but he makes the right calls at the right times. He's not afraid to make a tough decision too.

I imagine if we did spend the money and have a decent season, the next season sam would have fucked off to england and we would have been stuck with a shit load of debt and new manager than could very easily not fit in. I'm happy for Bolton to be on the up with a young up and coming manager that gives a shit about the club.

Onwards.

Guest bwfcdan

if having a belief allardyce was making unreasonable demands is being a detractor, guilty as charged

if having a belief allardyce left when his stock was at it's highest, guilty as charged

if thinking it was better for all concerned that he left, guilty as charged

Aye and as Phil Gartside put it "we have a better manager in Sammy Lee than Sam Allardyce" :roll:

as punching above his weight with wanting a top 4 spot? why the fuck not? what would you rather do,not aspire to greatness or just resiegn yourself to mid table mediocraty? fucking nonsense.

Exactly, we were in it for 21 games or whatever it was why not try to stay there for the remaining 17 games. Otherwise whats the point? The aim is to do as good as you can, and to at least try and win trophys when the chance is there. Not throwing away a chance in a uefa cup when your playing a poor sporting lisbon side. If the sole aim year in year out is to come 14th -17th in the league, and to fk the cups off* to make sure thats achieved then i'll end up not bothering. Im at the age where i'll still go. Give it ten years maybe i wont bother.

* thankfully weve now a manager who will want to do as well as possible in the cups i think no matter where we are in the league table

If anyone on here would be able and willing to put ?20m+ into a team in the hope they finished top 4 then i would suggest that person is unlikely to have ever made the ?20m in the first place.

• Moderators

Aye and as Phil Gartside put it "we have a better manager in Sammy Lee than Sam Allardyce" :roll:

i believe the quote was more

sammy is better qualified than sam was when we appointed him

• Moderators

Mccann was signed by sam before he had a giddy fit, it was just kept quiet.

Lets face it, Fat Sam saw the bright lights of 4th, getting the England job then a Job at no.10. When Phil brought him back down to earth he couldn't deal with it.

Gartside gets a hard time but he makes the right calls at the right times. He's not afraid to make a tough decision too.

I imagine if we did spend the money and have a decent season, the next season sam would have fucked off to england and we would have been stuck with a shit load of debt and new manager than could very easily not fit in. I'm happy for Bolton to be on the up with a young up and coming manager that gives a shit about the club.

Onwards.

I agree with the bit about Gartside getting a hard time for doing a good job, but

a) Gartside backed him to go for the England job, so not sure how he brought him down to earth on that one

B) Gartside employed a young up and coming manager who gave a shit about the club when he appointed Fat Sam - he then got old, got to where he was going, and moved on to try and go further, the fact he wanted to move on doesn't mean he didn't give a sh?t, otherwise why want us to get in the top 4 in the first place?

and don't suggest he was just doing it for himself, because pretty much every manager would do the same

like Coyle did to Burnley when he came to us

• Moderators

i believe the quote was more

sammy is better qualified than sam was when we appointed him

not quite the quote you're after but still funny in hindsight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-451692/Gartside-Sam-did-bit-Sammy-make-better.html

"Sammy will fiddle at the edges and will tweak the system and will build up his own team around him. I?m more than excited about working with Sammy Lee. I?ve known him longer than I?ve known Sam Allardyce.

"I know what he wants to achieve and I?m confident that he will have a different style but that he will be very successful."

I think some of you probably forget. He wasn't asking for the club to find money to pump into his plan to purchase players - it was money the club had made on the back of him dragging them up the table to consistently top 10 finishes... ?500K per place. For a club budgeting on 16-17th place - he was making them "at least" ?5M per season extra - on top of the fact we probably got more TV coverage, bigger gates, more revenue from excited sponsors, etc.

I once, off my own back, totally ripped up age old production techniques for a large organisation and saved them ?80K instantly. I asked for a large chunk of this ?80K in the form of a bonus as it was money they would have spent regardlessly. I got royally fucked off. It happens. They subsequently saved about ?1.5m the following year. I got my name mentioned at some very large corporate do. Wow.

I once, off my own back, totally ripped up age old production techniques for a large organisation and saved them ?80K instantly. I asked for a large chunk of this ?80K in the form of a bonus as it was money they would have spent regardlessly. I got royally fucked off. It happens. They subsequently saved about ?1.5m the following year. I got my name mentioned at some very large corporate do. Wow.

I'm not surprised you cheeky fucker

When we was top 4 and had just won top 5 straight games over christmas, that was a special time in our history, then we played Liverpool @ Anfield on New Years day lost 3-0 and it's been downhill from there :(

I know we we're over achieving but what a decline we have had, the football was hardly brilliant under Sam but we had players like Okocha, Djorkaeff, Stelios, Campo, Diouf and Anelka to produce bits of individual magic and entertain.

I will always remember our time under Sam it was our best years. He gave so much, but in return I guess he got so little[judged by what he wanted for the club], I don't know what happened but something did, the 4 months between Jan 1st and Sam leaving we're pretty poor, we went from being top and having a Champions League place to going into the last day against Villa not knowing if we would even get a UEFA Cup place, we drew 2-2, I think it was Kanu who missed a sitter for Pompey in their game that made us get it and they missed out.

We did all that without real investment, we would have won the Carling Cup if it wasn't for the ref/linesman cheating us, plus we had a lot of chances.

I know many clubs have now wealthy owners and have better players, but we did have the chance to improve even more, but we are left with what if's and that, from having so much confidence and going to away grounds winning good teams and everything looking great, there just was a massive loss of confidence, belief, ambition and motivation.

We somehow stayed up 2 seasons ago, this season and last[apart from Europe] have been a bore[most of time] and more annoying than anything, Gary Megson in charge, fans booing, I honestly didn't think this would happen after our 5 wins in a row and looking at the table and seeing us in 4th place in the League.

Now we have Owen Coyle and well next season it's his time, and I hope we can at least have some of the good times we had under Sam back and we can improve.

• Moderators

I think some of you probably forget. He wasn't asking for the club to find money to pump into his plan to purchase players - it was money the club had made on the back of him dragging them up the table to consistently top 10 finishes... ?500K per place. For a club budgeting on 16-17th place - he was making them "at least" ?5M per season extra - on top of the fact we probably got more TV coverage, bigger gates, more revenue from excited sponsors, etc.

but it was all being spent

and he knew that

We did all that without real investment, we would have won the Carling Cup if it wasn't for the ref/linesman cheating us, plus we had a lot of chances.

If you're going to tell me that you noticed that at the time then that makes 2 of you in the stadium (Allardyce being the other 1).

Under Allardyce was the best time I've known as a Bolton fan; yes he talked shit, but you can't fault the job he did. It was best for everyone that he left when he did probably, but better for him than us with hindsight. Fingers crossed Coyle can get us back to that level because I've been as jealous as fuck about Fulham today

Sams job was to get us to the best position he could, he did this and took us to a level we could never have dreamed off.

He spent a lot of money, on fees and wages, but at some point the club had to decide spend a lot more and see if we get further, sounds obvious but it is about spending ?20m+ and if it does not work out the club is fucked.

i once negotiated a contract that earned my company extra money. i got no bonus , because that was my job.

sam was the best manager this club has had in recent memory, search this site and find what i said at the time, him leaving was bad for us and bad for him. but the club is more them him.

vouchers for free becks from 5-8 are not a good idea.

Edited by Ani

When we was top 4 and had just won top 5 straight games over christmas, that was a special time in our history, then we played Liverpool @ Anfield on New Years day lost 3-0 and it's been downhill from there :(

I know we we're over achieving but what a decline we have had, the football was hardly brilliant under Sam but we had players like Okocha, Djorkaeff, Stelios, Campo, Diouf and Anelka to produce bits of individual magic and entertain.

I will always remember our time under Sam it was our best years. He gave so much, but in return I guess he got so little[judged by what he wanted for the club], I don't know what happened but something did, the 4 months between Jan 1st and Sam leaving we're pretty poor, we went from being top and having a Champions League place to going into the last day against Villa not knowing if we would even get a UEFA Cup place, we drew 2-2, I think it was Kanu who missed a sitter for Pompey in their game that made us get it and they missed out.

I know many clubs have now wealthy owners and have better players, but we did have the chance to improve even more, but we are left with what if's and that, from having so much confidence and going to away grounds winning good teams and everything looking great, there just was a massive loss of confidence, belief, ambition and motivation.

We somehow stayed up 2 seasons ago, this season and last[apart from Europe] have been a bore[most of time] and more annoying than anything, Gary Megson in charge, fans booing, I honestly didn't think this would happen after our 5 wins in a row and looking at the table and seeing us in 4th place in the League.

Now we have Owen Coyle and well next season it's his time, and I hope we can at least have some of the good times we had under Sam back and we can improve.

good post-i agree

Banging heads against brick walls. Two facts matter:-

1) Sam Allardyce is the best manager BWFC has had since Bill Ridding. The records prove this.

2) In some cases, Sams biggest detractors on here were also Gary fcuking Megsons biggest supporters. Curious but true.

Absolutely spot on Bolty and why I have all but given up bothering on here now. Full of clever cnts who also can't see Wilshere's potential but idolise Elmander, slag Davies & Steinsson off for being popular, piss themselves laughing when someone said we'd get 39 points a few months ago and produce statistics to show Coyle is no better than Gary fcking Megson.

Over and out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.