Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

On 01/02/2022 at 17:04, dusan nikolic said:

I don't think this has been posted before , it's Charlton v Bolton and the final game of the  1982/83 season. The full match is available on You Tube for any masochists amongst us.

Great find. I'll watch this when I get time.

Transport I took that day. Train. Tube. Bus. Ferry. Then ran what seemed 2 miles to the ground. Missed the first 20mins of the match. This is why I am never left in charge of organising the travel for away games for the AHM ultras.

1 minute ago, Underpants said:

Great find. I'll watch this when I get time.

Transport I took that day. Train. Tube. Bus. Ferry. Then ran what seemed 2 miles to the ground. Missed the first 20mins of the match. This is why I am never left in charge of organising the travel for away games for the AHM ultras.

Sounds an eventful journey mate , the full game is on You Tube , instead of my highlights.

11 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

No problem , I am  still really grateful for the old matches you put up that I requested a while ago .

A good write up Paul about the Charlton match , looking at the starting 11 we did seem lambs to the slaughter although the defence had a certain amount of experience ( though from the footage the confidence looked totally shot ) .

There's other stuff I could post and I need to get in to the habit of doing it again. 

Mike Doyle and Steve Whitworth were certainly very experienced at the back and Gerry McElhinney wasn't exactly inexperienced!  Having watched a lot of the game I think our problem was they had no pace.

In midfield Hoggan, Gray, Joyce, Borrows and Chandler all look neat and tidy and we know they all went on to have long careers (Hoggan's in the USA). Inexperience was the problem.

Poor old Ian Moores up front. He got the goal but looked as I remembered him, ponderous and lumbering. He'd had a good career before arriving at Bolton. 

If we'd had Paul Jones, Peter Reid and Tony Henry that day it may have been a different outcome, who knows.

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

8K on, clubs on the fiddle and turnstile operators making a killing in those days.

when you see the amount on that giant side terrace there is no way that gate was 8700. 

Pitch invasion at the end looked like it might get interesting at one point (you have to watch the full match for that one)

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

8K on, clubs on the fiddle and turnstile operators making a killing in those days.

We knew exactly which turnstiles to use for the cheapest entry. I think in early to mid-70s 50p for you climbing over or squeezing two in on one click. 

Edited by MickyD
Phone thinks it knew what I wanted to write.

Encouraged by Dusan with his recent excellent spots on You Tube from 82/3 and 83/4 I've had a look through what I've got from 85-88 that I've not yet uploaded to You Tube. It's been more than a year since I've done any of this stuff so I picked on an easy target - a game with only one goal in it! It's only a 20 second vid.

This is our 1-0 home win v Notts County as our 1985/6 season Division 3 season was drawing to a close. We weren't mathematically safe from relegation but it was a very unlikely prospect. Meanwhile our Freight Rover run was coming to the boil with the Darlington and Wigan games in the month ahead leading to Wembley v Bristol City. 

No commentary here (in 85/6 it seemed that half the time there was no commentator or Dave H did it), this is the days of Easy Video, the predecessors of Roadrunner. I imagine Dave would have had something to say about this Jimmy Phillips long range effort rifling in to the back of the Embankment goal! 

7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Encouraged by Dusan with his recent excellent spots on You Tube from 82/3 and 83/4 I've had a look through what I've got from 85-88 that I've not yet uploaded to You Tube. It's been more than a year since I've done any of this stuff so I picked on an easy target - a game with only one goal in it! It's only a 20 second vid.

This is our 1-0 home win v Notts County as our 1985/6 season Division 3 season was drawing to a close. We weren't mathematically safe from relegation but it was a very unlikely prospect. Meanwhile our Freight Rover run was coming to the boil with the Darlington and Wigan games in the month ahead leading to Wembley v Bristol City. 

No commentary here (in 85/6 it seemed that half the time there was no commentator or Dave H did it), this is the days of Easy Video, the predecessors of Roadrunner. I imagine Dave would have had something to say about this Jimmy Phillips long range effort rifling in to the back of the Embankment goal! 

Thanks Paul , I've certainly missed your uploads , especially from the late 80's .

The second half of the 85/86 season had some really good results from memory , Newport 4-0 , Cardiff 5-0 , Pie Eaters 3-1, 2-1, 1-0 , Reading 2-0 , Darlington 3-0 , just a shame we regressed so badly the following season .

9 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks Paul , I've certainly missed your uploads , especially from the late 80's .

The second half of the 85/86 season had some really good results from memory , Newport 4-0 , Cardiff 5-0 , Pie Eaters 3-1, 2-1, 1-0 , Reading 2-0 , Darlington 3-0 , just a shame we regressed so badly the following season .

I will try to get on the case again. This stuff is no good shut away from public view and needs sharing for posterity. I think I've posted all those wins, not a great deal else to go at from 85/6 other than defeats, maybe one or two. Then there are still some of the rare wins from 86/7 to post. I've done pretty much everything I've got from 87.8

I note by the way that the episodes of the Big Match Revisited from 80/1 have skipped the weekend of our 1-1 home draw with West Ham which was featured. I'd have loved to see that ! 

7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I will try to get on the case again. This stuff is no good shut away from public view and needs sharing for posterity. I think I've posted all those wins, not a great deal else to go at from 85/6 other than defeats, maybe one or two. Then there are still some of the rare wins from 86/7 to post. I've done pretty much everything I've got from 87.8

I note by the way that the episodes of the Big Match Revisited from 80/1 have skipped the weekend of our 1-1 home draw with West Ham which was featured. I'd have loved to see that ! 

I think someone said it was the quality of film that was the issue regarding chosen games , I think the Newcastle 4-0 suffered a similar fate.

22 hours ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

Used to get complimentary “home” tickets through Barclays Bank for our away games in those days and we then blagged our way into the away end.

However Torquay stewards wouldn’t let us in the away end for this game so we went in their end and simply walked across the the pitch from their end to ours.

Cant believe we didn’t get stopped or confronted.

How football has changed……

Edited by captainmed

2 hours ago, captainmed said:

Used to get complimentary “home” tickets through Barclays Bank for our away games in those days and we then blagged our way into the away end.

However Torquay stewards wouldn’t let us in the away end for this game so we went in their end and simply walked across the the pitch from their end to ours.

Cant believe we didn’t get stopped or confronted.

How football has changed……

...that aris fencing at the back of Morecambes away end and one solitary steward wouldnt have stopped many getting in :)

• Site Supporter
23 hours ago, gonzo said:

...that aris fencing at the back of Morecambes away end and one solitary steward wouldnt have stopped many getting in :)

He didn’t even try. I saw a full family getting in that way. 

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

He didn’t even try. I saw a full family getting in that way. 

Wasn't even a steward stood there when we were stood close to it having a beer just before kick off. Van full of coppers turned up, noticed the fence was 'open' and just laughed and shook their heads and stayed in situ. Absolute shambles that could have ended up worse tbf.