Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kevin Davies Should Be Dropped

Yes, because you'll notice that I specifically pointed out the number of penalties this time round.

It's almost as if I mentioned them for a reason.

I couldn't care less how he scores them

news for you, Kevin Davies never has and never will be an out and out goalscorer

its his all round game

hes not been at his best

its still better than what we have

and hes still creating chances for others

its still better than what we have

I'm still not sure why there's a problem with giving Klasnic a start. You've said yourself Davies is out of sorts. Klasnic seems capable of putting the ball in the net and Davies' assists after the New Year have been limited. You can do your "stat attack", but without clarifying what it means it has no weight. The fact is that he is not creating goals right now, nor is he scoring them. So I fail to see why it's a probelm to say that another striker should be given a start, especially one who just scored.

If Davies is neither scoring nor assisting, then I'm not sure how much we can lose by trying Klasnic.

• Site Supporter

They even said on GMR on the way home; It's a shame, given that Davies makes so many flick-ons, that nobody else gambles and sets off running to get onto them.

I'm still not sure why there's a problem with giving Klasnic a start. You've said yourself Davies is out of sorts. Klasnic seems capable of putting the ball in the net and Davies' assists after the New Year have been limited. You can do your "stat attack", but without clarifying what it means it has no weight. The fact is that he is not creating goals right now, nor is he scoring them. So I fail to see why it's a probelm to say that another striker should be given a start, especially one who just scored.

If Davies is neither scoring nor assisting, then I'm not sure how much we can lose by trying Klasnic.

yeah, iv no idea why klasnic doesn't start

completley baffling

Kevin Davies is still effective however due to his age and relative fitness he struggles to sustain it through the 90. For me instead of starting Davies then looking for substitutes later in the game to change the game it should be the other way round. Davies would be suberb in the last 20 mins playing on tiring centre backs flicking on balls to create chances. Davies can do what I've already said from the start but when it comes to the latter stages of a game his fitness let's himself down when we need him to step up and create chances for others such as today.

Please don't see me as a SKD baiter because I'm really not but every dog has its day and I believe SKD isn't the force he once was if we want to progress, certainly in a team with the Coyle mentality.

Unfortunately SKD is becoming a liability.

Elmo v defender, might get something, Klasnic v defender,might get something,Rodrigo v defender, might get something, my mam v defender,might..... you get the picture.

SKD v defender no chance, he will never get the decision in a fifty/fifty ball unless someone takes a baseball bat to him.

I like the bloke, and I've always said he should be the first name on the sheet, but I'm afraid it time to have a think.

• Site Supporter

It's not a shock that he had a good first half of season and has tired more throughout the second half. 34 is getting on a bit in top-flight footballer terms.

• Site Supporter

SKD is a very good player for us but I do think now is the time to look for new blood. I would agree with Gudni and say he could still be very effective coming on as sub next season against a tired side as age is against him now. Only problem is - any idea where the replacement front line is coming from? :blink:

• Site Supporter

if davies wins as many headers as he did today no one picks up any of the loose balls, not sure that is a reason to pension him off.

See my earlier post. KD is still doing what he was doing years ago. Unfortunately the rest of the team aren't switched on to it. Which begs the question; Is ping pong and darts a good training tool?

hes fcuking finished and talking of indefensible?

coyle shunting sturridge out to the right wing

and the non selection of wheater is more baffling by the week

bang on that, shouldnt of been dropped

Shouldn't have been dropped for who though? Steinsson or Knight, both involved in us conceding the second.

I don't rate Knight tbh, without players like K.Davies he's very poor, to be fair K.Davies is pretty poor in open play, how many times does Knight head the ball about 20 feet in the air, hesitate and just punt it with hope that it reaches a 'target/area'.

It's like he's a goalkeeper, always wanting to get rid, he does pass it to Cahill and Robinson when we are dominant, have space at the back, but when it comes to being pressured, us losing or just even seeing Davies, he shows no composure at all and hits it long, any player can do that, unless they have really weak kicking strength.

Don't have any confidence in players like that, his height will give him an advantage and yes he has had some excellent performances, but he's one of the players, a bit like Bramble, but less shite, who you know is very dodgy with the ball and quite mistake prone.

Shouldn't have been dropped for who though? Steinsson or Knight, both involved in us conceding the second.

I don't rate Knight tbh, without players like K.Davies he's very poor, to be fair K.Davies is pretty poor in open play, how many times does Knight head the ball about 20 feet in the air, hesitate and just punt it with hope that it reaches a 'target/area'.

It's like he's a goalkeeper, always wanting to get rid, he does pass it to Cahill and Robinson when we are dominant, have space at the back, but when it comes to being pressured, us losing or just even seeing Davies, he shows no composure at all and hits it long, any player can do that, unless they have really weak kicking strength.

Don't have any confidence in players like that, his height will give him an advantage and yes he has had some excellent performances, but he's one of the players, a bit like Bramble, but less shite, who you know is very dodgy with the ball and quite mistake prone.

Knight. it'd be cahill and wheater for me.

Maybe Coyle is picking Knight with a similar but not quite the same reason why he still chose to play Elmander, when we got Sturridge, even when Holden and M.Davies were fit.

It's clear Coyle wants Elmander to stay, when Sturridge came I thought Coyle might drop Elmander, it did give Lee a break though and our midfielders got injured, but I think Coyle didn't want to piss Elmander off,keep him happy, more chance of signing a new contract, maybe similar with Knight, but not contract, confidence and all that, I don't know.

Cahill has 2 more games with us, would Knight be happy being dropped because pf injury and a new signing costing his place, would this play on his mind next season knowing he'd not be playing if Cahill was here, playing by default, playing because there's no one else?

Maybe Coyle is picking Knight with a similar but not quite the same reason why he still chose to play Elmander, when we got Sturridge, even when Holden and M.Davies were fit.

It's clear Coyle wants Elmander to stay, when Sturridge came I thought Coyle might drop Elmander, it did give Lee a break though and our midfielders got injured, but I think Coyle didn't want to piss Elmander off,keep him happy, more chance of signing a new contract, maybe similar with Knight, but not contract, confidence and all that, I don't know.

Cahill has 2 more games with us, would Knight be happy being dropped because pf injury and a new signing costing his place, would this play on his mind next season knowing he'd not be playing if Cahill was here, playing by default, playing because there's no one else?

Ive said to friends myself he'll play knight because he wont want to upset him for next season when it will knight and wheater

Coyles biggest mistake of the season so far was to drop wheater the week before the semi and bring back an awful knight. Cahill and wheater had is sussed, they could play together read a game and win balls, knight is just plane shite, come on face it, knight has been very very dodgy since he arrived at the club. That decision unsettled the team, and before you diagree we won that game he came back, just remember who the opposition were.

I did mention this on another topic but for some reason the gestapo deleted it

• Moderators

That got deleted as it was just another thread about yesterday's game so pointless. If you'd bothered to join in the main thread any comments would still be there.

• Moderators

i loved kevin davies

we started to grow apart at wigan during lisbongate

he sulked through that game like a petulant kid

i suspect he became something of a bad apple under megson

he's a massive part of the fabric at the club and if anybody is too big for the club i feel its him

not his fault but he dictates the way we play to an extent and zat hoofmeister knight is dragged along

Coyles biggest mistake of the season so far was to drop wheater the week before the semi and bring back an awful knight. Cahill and wheater had is sussed, they could play together read a game and win balls, knight is just plane shite, come on face it, knight has been very very dodgy since he arrived at the club. That decision unsettled the team, and before you diagree we won that game he came back, just remember who the opposition were.

Do you mean when knight played an absolute blinder against west ham?

Iirc there was a 50/50 split of opinion as to whether Wheater or Knight should partner Cahill v stoke.

• Moderators

my opinion wasn't split!

anyway, coyle has generally shown himself to be loyal to players who get into the team through injury to others

why did he drop wheater?

i could've played centre back against west ham

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.