Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rodrigo

i just hope jeffrey is a hell of a lot better than rodrigo.

couldnt pass water that lad.

all the skill in the world does not make you a good player.

Risk with the Spanish lads is that there are not many young ones strong enough on the ball for the Premiership.

The Fabregas's of this world were here as youth team players so that's different.

Looks to me like with Ward and Taylor (who were our best left sided midfielders defensively) going, Robbo is in for a busy winter.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Risk with the Spanish lads is that there are not many young ones strong enough on the ball for the Premiership.

The Fabregas's of this world were here as youth team players so that's different.

Looks to me like with Ward and Taylor (who were our best left sided midfielders defensively) going, Robbo is in for a busy winter.

Ricky Gardner is our best left back. Just someone hasn?t yet told OC.

Fortunately I have seen him play a few times, have you?

Aye, a couple.

To say he's our best defensive midfielder is bollocks.

He wasn't ever really our midfielder at all.

I hardly think our left back is going to spend next season pining for him.

• Moderators

Fortunately I have seen him play a few times, have you?

I remember him coming on, think it was against Sunderland, 2 years ago

part from that, I thought he was an attacking sort for Huddersfield

that said, it's League One

• Site Supporter

tbf i dont think passmosster meant defensive in the true sense of the word.

he meant that ward would be more of team player, not a selfish player whos only interest is going forward.

Guest Blixa

The mysterious case of Rogrigo Moreno Machado.

Having returned to parent club Benfica to compete for a place in their squad, after our apparent bid of ?5m was knocked back for a variety of reasons, Rodrigo appears to have disappeared. Those articles stating the player wanted to stay have to be bollocks, football doesn't work that way. Thus Benfica must value him higher than our bid, whatever that might have been.

Onto the season, Benfica are well into their pre-season as they are in the 3rd qualifying round of the Champions League against Tranzonspor next week. This is a vital game, financially for them, in order to compete with Porto. They went to work at altitude in Switzerland, playing a couple of knockabouts against scratch teams, our Rodigo came on for the 2nd half of those 2.

Benfica then ramped it up, playing PSG and Anderlecht in the Algarve with no signs of Rodrigo. They then moved back to Lisbon to play Toulouse, again no signs of Rodrigo.

Maybe he's injured, I can't find anything on that. But what I did find is a Benfica squad for the coming season, with squad numbers and I can't seem to see Rodrigo http://www.slbenfica...tel/plantel.asp

He seems to have disappeared, it is most peculiar. I'm getting the words... Akin Bulent, Oscar Perez and Lord Kangana. If Big Sam was involved, I'd be suspecting brown envelopes were being passed around. Either way, I think someone somewhere has been telling porkies.

Or maybe they played him a bit and decided he's not quite ready yet? Bit like we did most of last year. No reason to sell him though, especially if they think he'll come on.

Think both the player and his dad/manager were suffering from Real Madrid syndrome - played there once, thinks he's a worldbeater. Maybe they've realised it's time to knuckle down and get on with developing a career, as opposed to moaning about transfers. In Benfica's reserves for now.

• Moderators

If he's not ready yet, and he's not in the squad at all then he's going out on loan. They don't have reserves as we do. The point being if he's not got a place in their squad why are we allegedly bidding ?5m or indeed bothering at all? This is Benfica we are talking about, not Real Madrid, there is no fucking way on this earth that a player not in their first choice 30 players can make any kind of an impact in a superior league.

Guest Blixa

Agree with you on that point, but I don't think it's dodgy. We tried signing him last year, got beaten to it and got him on loan. If he was crap in training, there's no reason why we would bid our limited funds on him. I suspect injury if there's no reserve team.

Aye, a couple.

To say he's our best defensive midfielder is bollocks.

He wasn't ever really our midfielder at all.

I hardly think our left back is going to spend next season pining for him.

Well he is miles better at tackling back than either Petorv or Rodrigo.

BTW which games did you see or is that just bollocks as you put it over t'net?

I'm sure you wouldn't dare to say that to my face when you see me.

Well he is miles better at tackling back than either Petorv or Rodrigo.

BTW which games did you see or is that just bollocks as you put it over t'net?

I'm sure you wouldn't dare to say that to my face when you see me.

Which bit do you think I wouldn't say to your face?

And what odds does it make which games I've seen?

Oh, and I'm better at tackling back that Petrov and Rodrigo but nobody's going to give me a run in the team this season either.

Carlos - you have explained the situation. There is nothing odd.

Rodrigo is away in South America with the u20s. They are playing from 31/7 to 6/8 at least, and up to 20/8 if they reach the final.

Why should Benfica register him for the 3rd QR, which is being held this week and next? He is not there to play.

They can register him in time for the playoff round or group stage. But since he is an u20 he qualifies for List B and can be registered the day before (any) match.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Looks like the boy is doing alright. 7 goals in 5 games for Spain's U21s, Del Bosque tipping him along with Thiago to step up to the full squad and Real Madrid apparently considering invoking the ?12m buy-back clause in his contract.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.