Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rodrigo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Good luck to him, Coentrao has gone to Real Madrid so there might be space on the left. We could have had Coentrao 3 years ago for peanuts if anyone listened to my scouting reports.

OK, Holden has been really unlucky with serious injuries twice in his 18 months here so far.

Anyway 'injury-prone' isn't accusing him of something, it's just an observation.

From a team & results point of view, it's a bit pointless to be arguing between injury-prone or really unlucky. He's been out of action an awful lot is the point, and he may be unlucky again in the future.

Aye..one way or another, Holden does miss a lot of games. Didn't he have to leave Sunderland because he got twatted & injured on a night out in Newcastle ?

As for Mavies.. cracking player, but with his history of injuries it'd be barmy to try and build a team around him or even to be depending on him. I'd be amazed if he's fit for half the season's games.

Aye..one way or another, Holden does miss a lot of games. Didn't he have to leave Sunderland because he got twatted & injured on a night out in Newcastle ?

As for Mavies.. cracking player, but with his history of injuries it'd be barmy to try and build a team around him or even to be depending on him. I'd be amazed if he's fit for half the season's games.

4-4-2 with Petrov and Lee in the midfield 4 puts an incredible physical burden on the other 2.

I just don't think anyone can fulfill that ask over a whole season.

From a team & results point of view, it's a bit pointless to be arguing between injury-prone or really unlucky. He's been out of action an awful lot is the point, and he may be unlucky again in the future.

I'm sorry but I disagree... It's pointless to build a team around likes of Mavies and Davis as they ARE injury prone - as in, they get injured training, running etc. You can't buy backup players for every one of your best players when you're a club of Bolton's size, and saying "he may be unlucky again in the future"... so might ANY player in our squad. When fit (which most of the time they SHOULD be) our midfield pairing would be Muamba and Holden. We already have Mavies, Davis, Gardner, Pratley as backup for central midfield so buying ANOTHER central midfielder would be totally pointless, as the chances are that they won't be needed... We'd have kept Cohen on if we needed that level of backup, I'm pretty certain he won't have been on hefty wages.

Guest Blixa

Rodrigo, based on last season, would have been a massive risk for us at ?5 million or so - not even sure he'd be worth another season on loan either.

I'll not be losing sleep.

I'm sorry but I disagree... It's pointless to build a team around likes of Mavies and Davis as they ARE injury prone - as in, they get injured training, running etc. You can't buy backup players for every one of your best players when you're a club of Bolton's size, and saying "he may be unlucky again in the future"... so might ANY player in our squad. When fit (which most of the time they SHOULD be) our midfield pairing would be Muamba and Holden. We already have Mavies, Davis, Gardner, Pratley as backup for central midfield so buying ANOTHER central midfielder would be totally pointless, as the chances are that they won't be needed... We'd have kept Cohen on if we needed that level of backup, I'm pretty certain he won't have been on hefty wages.

Agreed about Mavies, but surely Davis was injured in a bad tackle just like Holden.

True, any player might ....... but Holden has picked up two major injuries in 18 months already.

I didn't suggest acquiring another midfield player. I've said somewhere that IMO we needed 7 players during this summer if Cahill left, and that Pratley was the first of the 7 (6 if Cahill stays). The problems are now elsewhere ..... strikers mainly, but also full-backs & maybe cover for Lee (and don't say 'Blake').

Edited by Rembrandt

Rodrigo, based on last season, would have been a massive risk for us at ?5 million or so - not even sure he'd be worth another season on loan either.

I'll not be losing sleep.

Anything I've seen of him hasn't really made me think he is any good. There must be better folk around than him surely. He can't surely be worth squandering more than ?1M on can he?

Isnt this the same arguement/discussion that goes on every close season ? we offload half a dozen and because we have the "smallest squad in the league" we need at least a dozen to replace them ?

Never seems to happen that we get more players in than out and we do OK.

I dont want us to be a make do team but we have stuck around for 11 years and it seems we always have the least number of fringe players to draw on.

Im not at all worried yet. IMO Rodrigo has shown enough in the few games Ive seen him play to warrant investing in, and as for the rest the squad well lets find out what they are about, if you never give somebody a try you can never know how good/bad they are.

Bit like the plain girl at school you always imagined was a wild cat in bed but never asked out !

Its nearly 4 am....Im drunk...but I know Im right !

• Moderators

Scored in Benfica's pre-season game in Switzerland.

"Paraguayan striker Oscar Cardozo scored four, with Saviola, Gaitan, Nolito, Rodrigo and Miguel Vitor also bulging the onion bag."

We need TWO strikers, a wide left player, another centre mid (Holden and Mavies will always pick injuries up), a centre half if Cahill goes and as important as the strikers we need new full backs. Thats SEVEN quality players - its just not going to happen and we are in for a hard season

The likes of Gardner, Blake, Taylor, Petrov, Robinson, Steinson and Muamba are just not good enough (probably missed a couple others as well)

Jesus!

Dont paniiiiiic. Nobody paniiic arrghhhh

We just finished comfortably mid table, safe by March and our best player was missing for the last couple of months due to injury

Its hardly a rebuilind job ffs.

seven players my arse

Jesus!

Dont paniiiiiic. Nobody paniiic arrghhhh

We just finished comfortably mid table, safe by March and our best player was missing for the last couple of months due to injury

Its hardly a rebuilind job ffs.

seven players my arse

I agree, don't panic.

But our best player will be out till (probably) November, and our form was mostly dismal without him.

We've lost Elmander & Sturridge (as of now) who scored a lot of our goals last season.

SKD & Robbo are a year nearer retirement, and at their ages that's significant.

Klasnic still gives no sign he can do more than 60 mins or so in a match.

Steinsson, Knight, Muamba & Petrov all need to re-find some decent form.

Not a re-build maybe, but grounds for unease.

Edited by Rembrandt

• Site Supporter

im not panicking now.

if we start the season without a proven goalscorer, i'll be concerned.

if we get to the end of the transfer window without a proven goalscorer, i'll be backing us to be relegated.

we need a 10 goal a season man, to ease the pressure.

ideally a 15 goal a season man, to push on.

Edited by HomerJay

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The mysterious case of Rogrigo Moreno Machado.

Having returned to parent club Benfica to compete for a place in their squad, after our apparent bid of ?5m was knocked back for a variety of reasons, Rodrigo appears to have disappeared. Those articles stating the player wanted to stay have to be bollocks, football doesn't work that way. Thus Benfica must value him higher than our bid, whatever that might have been.

Onto the season, Benfica are well into their pre-season as they are in the 3rd qualifying round of the Champions League against Tranzonspor next week. This is a vital game, financially for them, in order to compete with Porto. They went to work at altitude in Switzerland, playing a couple of knockabouts against scratch teams, our Rodigo came on for the 2nd half of those 2.

Benfica then ramped it up, playing PSG and Anderlecht in the Algarve with no signs of Rodrigo. They then moved back to Lisbon to play Toulouse, again no signs of Rodrigo.

Maybe he's injured, I can't find anything on that. But what I did find is a Benfica squad for the coming season, with squad numbers and I can't seem to see Rodrigo http://www.slbenfica...tel/plantel.asp

He seems to have disappeared, it is most peculiar. I'm getting the words... Akin Bulent, Oscar Perez and Lord Kangana. If Big Sam was involved, I'd be suspecting brown envelopes were being passed around. Either way, I think someone somewhere has been telling porkies.

Edited by Carlos

Am I right in thinking that we'd be highly unlikely to be interested in taking both Rodrigo and this Jeffrey chap from Barca, based on similarity?

Or would they be substantially different enough for us to want them both?

No take the Jeffrey chap. I like the name!.

i just hope jeffrey is a hell of a lot better than rodrigo.

couldnt pass water that lad.

all the skill in the world does not make you a good player.

His passing was just fine, he had one terrible passing game against Blackburn away.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.