Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

3D Map Of The Universe

Northender

the biggest of your assumptions is that WE could travel the 20 million light years

if we could travel at the speed of light it would take 20 million years

Humans have been around for about 50,000 years so for us to travel 20 million light years we would have to travel for 400 times longer than Humans have walked the earth

The Earth is only 100 million years old so we would have to travel 1/5 of the life of the earth just to get there

thats alot of dielsel

I get your drift, but the earth is 4.54 billion years old and the earliest modern human fossil found in Ethiopia was 200,000 years old.

Another thought provoking fact is that if the human race continues to evolve and is around when the earth is eventually encompassed by the sun expanding into a red giant, then at the current rate of evolution mankind today would look to them as we look upon the first bacteria that formed around sulphuric mud pools.

We were down in Devon again last weekend at 'our' yurt on the Blackdown hills.

Wonderfully clear night on Friday, you just sit or lie there staring upwards as it's getting darker and darker then find that once you can see the billions of stars up there it's really quite bright.

I was sitting there with my lads watching shooting stars and satellites whizz across the sky and see the milky way. 10 year old asking question after question about aliens and shit, I told him that seriously, if every one of those stars had a planet or two orbiting it then surely there's life out there.

Then it got on to quasars and parallel universes and stuff which was only vaguely understandable by him keep bringing me fresh bottles of Doom Bar.............

Cloudy on Saturday night so no meteor shower for us but we did witness a rather amazing three hour lightning storm before we thought it prudent to get inside rather than sit in the middle of a field with a long steel pole in my hand.....

the biggest of your assumptions is that WE could travel the 20 million light years

if we could travel at the speed of light it would take 20 million years

Humans have been around for about 50,000 years so for us to travel 20 million light years we would have to travel for 400 times longer than Humans have walked the earth

The Earth is only 100 million years old so we would have to travel 1/5 of the life of the earth just to get there

thats alot of dielsel

'tis true that we'd need to travel for 20 million years at the speed of light...a little longer than the 20 years I mentioned!

Maybe we should invent something that travels faster than the speed of light then. Or would we then go back in time?

Or, we could send some people into black holes to test whether they really are shortcuts through the universe. We could send Piers Morgan as the guinea pig to map the entire universe for us.

Even then he'd still be a cnut.

but you wouldn't age by 20 million years

Not if you were travelling close to the speed of light as time would slow down for you relative to somebody on earth. If you could travel at light speed, essentially you wouldn't age. Unfortunately, you'd also have zero mass.

Maybe another medium for measurement instead of time and distance could be employed?

The septics could employ some blue sky thinking and push the envelope, think outside the box like then run it up the flagpole and see who salutes.

Or we could just knock summat up over a weekend in a shed as usual.