Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Balon D'or

stevieb

Balon D'Or  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 10 years later...
  • Moderators
19 hours ago, royal white said:

Got to be Messi 

I think so too

Craig Burley doesn't, and he makes a fair point, but I think it's a bit extreme to say snub it forever if you don't win it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/haaland-lionel-messi-ballon-dor-30883698

“If Erling Haaland doesn’t win this, close the shop,” Burley told ESPN. “Lionel Messi won the World Cup and it’s a great achievement, but it’s a four-week period. His general league form was not the best. PSG were terrible.

“Erling Haaland? Over 50 goals, a Premier League title, the FA Cup, and the Champions League. Erling Haaland should win this award. I know that a lot of people out there can’t get off the Messi bandwagon but look at the bigger picture.

“There’s going to be a lot of muppet journos voting for Messi. The big picture here is that Erling Haaland achieved everything over a long period of time.

“This award, like a few awards, drives me nuts but he’s the one that deserves it but I think out there it will be full of sentimental claptrap - Messi won the World Cup, Messi’s this and Messi’s that, and they will just hand him another one. And if I was Erling Haaland, I would never go back to another Ballon d’Or in my life, same as Robert Lewandowski.”

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I think so too

Craig Burley doesn't, and he makes a fair point, but I think it's a bit extreme to say snub it forever if you don't win it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/haaland-lionel-messi-ballon-dor-30883698

“If Erling Haaland doesn’t win this, close the shop,” Burley told ESPN. “Lionel Messi won the World Cup and it’s a great achievement, but it’s a four-week period. His general league form was not the best. PSG were terrible.

“Erling Haaland? Over 50 goals, a Premier League title, the FA Cup, and the Champions League. Erling Haaland should win this award. I know that a lot of people out there can’t get off the Messi bandwagon but look at the bigger picture.

“There’s going to be a lot of muppet journos voting for Messi. The big picture here is that Erling Haaland achieved everything over a long period of time.

“This award, like a few awards, drives me nuts but he’s the one that deserves it but I think out there it will be full of sentimental claptrap - Messi won the World Cup, Messi’s this and Messi’s that, and they will just hand him another one. And if I was Erling Haaland, I would never go back to another Ballon d’Or in my life, same as Robert Lewandowski.”

21 goals and 20 assists for PSG and a league title. 

Followed by 7 goals and 3 assists in the World Cup. And a player of the tournament. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, royal white said:

21 goals and 20 assists for PSG and a league title. 

Followed by 7 goals and 3 assists in the World Cup. And a player of the tournament. 

aye

it's not just about scoring goals, it's about what those goals get you, and it's about the player who has performed the best

so captaining his team to win the WC and getting player of the tournaments means he should win

Haaland will get his fair share in time

If its who has been the best player in the world this last calender year is it fuck Messi.

He wouldn't be in the top 10 if judged on performances.

Fair play if best performer is no longer the criteria, he probably deserves it for legacy alone and completing his career with a world cup.

But hes been nowhere near the best this year.

2 minutes ago, bolton in bedford said:

Norway are shit so a chance that Haaland may never play in a major tournament, so if it’s swung on the World Cup performance Haaland may be at a disadvantage every other year.

Like Ronaldo has been (the shit one) 

10 hours ago, gonzo said:

If its who has been the best player in the world this last calender year is it fuck Messi.

He wouldn't be in the top 10 if judged on performances.

Fair play if best performer is no longer the criteria, he probably deserves it for legacy alone and completing his career with a world cup.

But hes been nowhere near the best this year.

Last calendar year? It’s from Aug - Aug 

Edited by royal white

Messi

Overall play, goals, assists, chances created, dribbles etc

Haaland is incredible and he scored goals like a younger/ Barca Messi used to surpass/get near.

He also of course plays in a stronger league, but Messi as proved in the *World Cup it doesn't matter the opponent or the quality.

* the World Cup being to many the pinnacle of football, the only thing missing from Messi's honours, the thing people were on the fence about deeming Messi the goat, that alone disregarding stats and subjectiveness will get sentimental voting.

The only thing to not look kindly on Messi is PSG's Champions League and that Messi even though he's still providing incredible moments, isn't the Messi of old, at 35/36 that's expected.

and if you completely disregard Ligue 1 because of it's standard then you have Haaland in all comps v Messi at the World Cup, which Haaland wasn't even in, so what do you judge them by?

it's like people will vote for goal of the season on it's importance rather than what the actual goal looks like, it's all opinions, what is wild is to say Messi wasn't even top 10.

1 hour ago, Didledee said:

Messi

Overall play, goals, assists, chances created, dribbles etc

Haaland is incredible and he scored goals like a younger/ Barca Messi used to surpass/get near.

He also of course plays in a stronger league, but Messi as proved in the *World Cup it doesn't matter the opponent or the quality.

* the World Cup being to many the pinnacle of football, the only thing missing from Messi's honours, the thing people were on the fence about deeming Messi the goat, that alone disregarding stats and subjectiveness will get sentimental voting.

The only thing to not look kindly on Messi is PSG's Champions League and that Messi even though he's still providing incredible moments, isn't the Messi of old, at 35/36 that's expected.

and if you completely disregard Ligue 1 because of it's standard then you have Haaland in all comps v Messi at the World Cup, which Haaland wasn't even in, so what do you judge them by?

it's like people will vote for goal of the season on it's importance rather than what the actual goal looks like, it's all opinions, what is wild is to say Messi wasn't even top 10.

He's on the vinegars 

29 minutes ago, stevieb said:

He's on the vinegars 

Haha well Messi as been the best for many years now and I've grown up watching him week in week out, but there as been years where he's still been the best player but didn't win due to others winning other competitions, so now he's won the World Cup and had a good season stat wise, I think it's only fair to assume he deserves it.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, gonzo said:

Not him.

Take your pick 

André Onana - Manchester United/Cameroon

Josko Gvardiol - Manchester City/Croatia

Karim Benzema - Al Ittihad

Jamal Musiala - Bayern Munich/Germany

Mohamed Salah - Liverpool/Egypt

Jude Bellingham - Real Madrid/England

Bukayo Saka - Arsenal/England

Randal Kolo Muani - Paris Saint-Germain/France