Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Durham

Not in Crawley

I'm off to Durham this week - bit of work (they've got a Lumiere conference thing going on) and partly to visit my other half's home city.

Sunderland aside, I know very little about the North East; I don't want to appear completely stupid so anyone been and are there any places that I could suggest we go to?

As an aside I'm staying in the hotel Scargill used to do his big miner speeches which I'm fairly excited about. 

• Site Supporter

The Shakespeare is a good little pub. Lots of little snugs and good ale. Lots of other small hostelries too and there's also an ale trail   http://www.camradurham.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/AleTrailLeaflet.pdf

It's a big student town so lots of studenty pubs to occupy them. Nice walks down by the river.

Other than boozers, if you could be arsed, then Beamish Museaum is quite interesting but it's mostly outdoors and it's a bit parky.

To be fair my missus thinks the place is pretty but much, much too small.

Thanks - will look at the Shakespeare, plus the Lumiere which is supposed to be excellent and a bit of the ale trail. Can't go too mental as I've got to speak at a conference in Nottingham on Saturday about festival marketing, which is something I have never done so they must be desperate - I'm about 5 miles from Duxford IWM so I'm a bit sick of old aeroplanes; I have interacted with Concorde though.

• 9 years later...
2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Thinking about doing a mid-week one night/two night mid-week thing in Feb with the wife and someone mentioned Durham.

Is it alright for a leisurely mooch, shop, take photos, drink kind of thing ? 

Went again last summer to visit family/bit of a holiday. We stayed in a cottage near Chester-Le-Street as we had the kids, was lovely and perfect for what we needed.

Lovely for a couple of nights, take a boat trip, tour of the Catherdral, some nice bars and places to eat - but it is very small. Our best trip out was to Beamish which is a full day trip and totally worth it.

Shopping is a bit rubbish - bit like Bolton, loads has closed down as out of town retail has taken away most of the shops to an outlet near Pity Me and the uni has bought up a lot of the property (much to the annoyance of the locals) but the market is worth a mooch round ( found an old Bolton programme in a dusty old bookshop with a very funny interview with Peter Reid)

Basically, you'll have wandered round in a few hours. The Durham Dales are very pretty if you like a walk.

• Site Supporter

Depending where you stay, Teesdale is great for a walk. Along the river between low and high force.

At the latter is a good pub:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.raby.co.uk/high-force/hotel/&ved=2ahUKEwjGzNbbluX8AhVVRkEAHcVFBkEQ_Bd6BAgQEAU&usg=AOvVaw0guI0xQZBwbs14yMn5N3Jq

River should be in decent flow this time of year- you've probably missed any salmon runs, but it's a lovely part of the world. 

Weardale also good.

If you're really hardy, wait for a shitty weather day, and head off too Derwent Reservoir. Really exposed and the wind howls around and rain smacks you in the face.

The forests, moors and small towns and villages are all worth exploring. 

Was rammed when we swent and was amazing, how you can't be impressed with a site that big, travelling in time, all these amazing working buildings and brilliant characters in every place and going around on these amazing vehicles, having an old fashioned stout and then a load of lovely sweets - plus some amazing ice cream.

Even impressed our teenagers. I've never heard anyone not be impressed with the place. 

• Moderators
On 11/11/2013 at 17:17, enzo gambaro said:
On 11/11/2013 at 14:52, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you've got the time and are interested the Sunderland Aircraft Museum is decent.

Not many places where you can 'interact' with a Vulcan Bummer!

I didn't know it was that kind of boozer.

Thought this was a new thread for minute and that Enzo had returned from the dead

• Site Supporter

The iron bridge set up is better. The blists hill town, interacting actors, practical workshops, proper chippy (done with dripping) and a real ale boozer. Even fish lounging around in the clean canal.

If you want something more rustic in Durham, get down the killhope lead mine.

Spa boxes and reconstruction of living quarters, walks into the woods to see red squirrels, and evidence of old workings- the "hushing" technique. Also have a go at panning for the stuff.

Seasonal opening though.

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The iron bridge set up is better. The blists hill town, interacting actors, practical workshops, proper chippy (done with dripping) and a real ale boozer. Even fish lounging around in the clean canal.

If you want something more rustic in Durham, get down the killhope lead mine.

Spa boxes and reconstruction of living quarters, walks into the woods to see red squirrels, and evidence of old workings- the "hushing" technique. Also have a go at panning for the stuff.

Seasonal opening though.

Another vote for Ironbridge. Bit of a hidden gem but we’ll worth a few hours.

14 hours ago, Spider said:

Another vote for Ironbridge. Bit of a hidden gem but we’ll worth a few hours.

Personally I don't think it's a patch on Bemish to be honest. Beamish has all the things mentioned above, is twice the size, covers more history and you get to ride round the sight. Plus got a brand new 1960s bit opening this year. Its why it wins all the awards.

It's nice at Ironbridge, but I'd not be making the trip over specifically for it.

Edited by Not in Crawley