Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Space Dudes

superjohnmcginlay

• Moderators

Seen as it's entirely plausible that we'll never be able to develop the technology to reach another inhabitable planet - is there any chance we could start trying to look after this one a bit better? I know I'm a loony hand wringing libtard - but out nearest other option is just over 20 light years away and I don't reckon I'll fancy the move.

reading a book called Aliens at the moment, a bunch of mini essays by top scientists bout under what conditions life may start on other planets, how we might be able to identify them, what it might be like etc

anyway

fact is, we are never going to see them with human eyes

was saying if we are to visit these places, we'll probably end up sending humanoids of some sort, like them hosts in westworld, as none of us could ever make the journey

link to the book:

https://wordery.com/aliens-jim-al-khalili-9781781256817

it's a bit like watching university challenge, you sort of get it but most of the time you don't know what the fuck they are talking about, but just nod and carry on reading

and we're sending up a couple of satellties shortly that will pinpoint where habitable planets might be, and then the other will check out their atmospheres to see if there's signs of life in them, i.e. oxygen and that

• Site Supporter

Come on Spider. Time isn't a constant. The only constant is the speed of light. I'm beginning to think you are bullshitting about this vessel - which you should definitely call 'McGinlay MacMcGilnlayface'

But when his vessel surpasses warp speed he'll be arriving before he sets off. Bollocks to light speed.

Parsecs are shite by the way. Stick with roast spuds.

reading a book called Aliens at the moment, a bunch of mini essays by top scientists bout under what conditions life may start on other planets, how we might be able to identify them, what it might be like etc

anyway

was saying if we are to visit these places, we'll probably end up sending humanoids of some sort, like them hosts in westworld, as none of us could ever make the journey

link to the book:

it's a bit like watching university challenge, you sort of get it but most of the time you don't know what the fuck they are talking about, but just nod and carry on reading

and we're sending up a couple of satellties shortly that will pinpoint where habitable planets might be, and then the other will check out their atmospheres to see if there's signs of life in them, i.e. oxygen and that

That sounds really interesting - thanks Zico. I know they're working on tiny bots which are theoretically capable of getting up to 20% if light speed. Even that in and of itself would be incredible.

• Moderators

That sounds really interesting - thanks Zico. I know they're working on tiny bots which are theoretically capable of getting up to 20% if light speed. Even that in and of itself would be incredible.

most interesting is that we (well, our scientists) don't even have an agreed definition of what life is, or how it started, so we don't know exactly what we're looking for, and only have our planet to base our best guess on - but chemistry seems to be consistent so if there are planets with oxygen and that in the atmosphere, chances are there'll be life, because that's what's happened to our atmosphere, due to life on earth

don't quote me on that

anyway

link to the book:

Looks interesting, thanks!

Aye, unless some leap in quantum physics allows us to create something akin to a warp drive we're never physically leaving the Solar system (or even getting close to the edges)

All these films about colonising other worlds (Alien Covenant for e.g. which I'm very excited about in a massive, nerdy, hard on type of way :) )  in the hope of saving humanity make me laugh, as even if we found one, how the fook would we get 6, 7, 8 + billion people there?  

I say this as as much as I love such films the idea that we can just find a new Earth when things get really bad is a bit silly.  Focusing efforts on keeping what we have might be a better long term investment from the science community.

• Site Supporter

Seen as it's entirely plausible that we'll never be able to develop the technology to reach another inhabitable planet - is there any chance we could start trying to look after this one a bit better? I know I'm a loony hand wringing libtard - but out nearest other option is just over 20 light years away and I don't reckon I'll fancy the move.

Just heard there are over 300 recycling systems in the country. No standard for household waste. On the radio currently; its a poor effort.

• Members

Just heard there are over 300 recycling systems in the country. No standard for household waste. On the radio currently; its a poor effort.

..............and the Lancashire Project was engineered here in Perth for Bedminster Bioconversion. WTF is all that about?

The UK has some of the best engineers in the world (having said that, a number who worked on it were Poms).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter

With the naked eye?

I'm off for a run so will have a butchers when I stop blowing out of my arse 3 mins in :)

Yep. Not sure how much longer you'll be able to see it tonight though. The Moon's not far off the horizon now.

Have a look again tomorrow at about 6 o'clock. Venus is the really bright fucker underneath the Moon, Mars is a lot dimmer on the opposite side, but you can see it twinkling red if you look carefully.

Edit: I'm talking shite. That's how they were aligned tonight, but tomorrow, both Venus and Mars will be below the Moon. I think.

Edited by Cheese

Yep. Not sure how much longer you'll be able to see it tonight though. The Moon's not far off the horizon now.

Have a look again tomorrow at about 6 o'clock. Venus is the really bright fucker underneath the Moon, Mars is a lot dimmer on the opposite side, but you can see it twinkling red if you look carefully.

Edit: I'm talking shite. That's how they were aligned tonight, but tomorrow, both Venus and Mars will be below the Moon. I think.

Clocked the bright one under the moon at tea time when I was walking the pooch. Is that Venus then? Well stone me.

By the time I went out again the moon had gone but the stars were clear as a bell. One in particular in the south east and quite low was really bright.

Love it.

• Site Supporter

Clocked the bright one under the moon at tea time when I was walking the pooch. Is that Venus then? Well stone me.

By the time I went out again the moon had gone but the stars were clear as a bell. One in particular in the south east and quite low was really bright.

Love it.

Yeah, that was Venus. It'll be at it's brightest on the 12th apparently, as that's when it's at it's highest point in the sky, therefore you'll be looking at it through the thinnest point of our atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...