Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Things You Remember From Games That Nobody Else Seems To

HazzyinBolton

I've mentioned this one before, but when I was a young nipper in the Lever End, I remember watching a terrible game which, if memory serves was v Exeter City.

I remember as clear as if it was yesterday that the Burnden Terrace sang Bohemian Rhapsody in its entirity complete with guitar solo.

Was that Brighton in the cup, if so it took about 8 coppers to get him off that fence.[/

Think it was a bloke everyone just knew as Mad Mick. Weird looking bloke, had a huge pumpkin head, eyes the size of snooker balls and always wore milk bottle geggs...used drink in King Bill and Churchills

Huddersfield fan climbing to the top of the floodlight, Riochs first game.

I remember that

Convinced that a Brum fan also tried it (a few weeks later I think)

I'll add one of the most bizarre reading decisions at Barnsley away that nobody seems to remember

We scored a goal; they protested and I can't remember exactly but he change his mind about 3 times and ended up giving US a free kick outside their box

Mental

Oh and The Bolton lad with the red bob hat on smashing folk in the home end at Southend early 90's

There was plenty of room in our end and it wasn't a big game or one with needle. Fuck knows why but it was great entertainment!

Was that Brighton in the cup, if so it took about 8 coppers to get him off that fence.[/

Think it was a bloke everyone just knew as Mad Mick. Weird looking bloke, had a huge pumpkin head, eyes the size of snooker balls and always wore milk bottle geggs...used drink in King Bill and Churchills

Oh I remember him proper knobhead used to go him someone who looked like Bob Carolgees.

He used to bully the 16/17 year olds on the king bill coaches till he got levelled by one.

'Wanderers 2000'

I remember in about 1992, getting a leaflet on the opening day of the season.  I remember ir was called Wanderers 2000 and it was a mission statement explaining how we had a long term plan to get us into the Prem by the millenium.

The fact that at the time I saw it as a farcical notion shows how far we've come since I've started watching the club.  It should also serve as a stark reminder that we're not a club with a divine right to be playing in the top tier like our fans seem to think we are.

Was that Brighton in the cup, if so it took about 8 coppers to get him off that fence.

Could well have been.  He had his arms wrapped around it for about 15 minutes.  Put up a good fight but wilted under sheer weight of numbers.  I remember everybody was singing the theme music to the Sweeney but I had no idea what that meant at the time as I was about 13.  Still joined in mind.

St. John's ambulance man decking it in the middle of the pitch away at Oxford.

A steward getting Kung fu kicked in the face by a lad who jumped down about 8 steps to do it at the reebok It wasnt even kicking off properly haha

A ball boy against spurs in the cup at Burnden kicking the ball towards the corner before it had even left the pitch resulting in a drop ball which we nearly scored off.

The day Birmingham came to Burnden and bought 6 million fans...one fat Brummie couldn't scale the fence from the paddock to lever end like his mate and was set upon by old bloke who were booting him up the arse haha...he eventually was dragged over by his mates and then they were set upon by little kids who were spitting at em and throwing coins.

Free for all in home end at Oldham before the

kick off in 93/94 when Shaun McCarthy tore us new one.

Nobody seems to remember the Swindon home semi was originally called off.

St. John's ambulance man decking it in the middle of the pitch away at Oxford.

A steward getting Kung fu kicked in the face by a lad who jumped down about 8 steps to do it at the reebok It wasnt even kicking off properly haha

A ball boy against spurs in the cup at Burnden kicking the ball towards the corner before it had even left the pitch resulting in a drop ball which we nearly scored off.

The day Birmingham came to Burnden and bought 6 million fans...one fat Brummie couldn't scale the fence from the paddock to lever end like his mate and was set upon by old bloke who were booting him up the arse haha...he eventually was dragged over by his mates and then they were set upon by little kids who were spitting at em and throwing coins.

Free for all in home end at Oldham before the

kick off in 93/94 when Shaun McCarthy tore us new one.

I was in the Oldham end mate along with a fair few others. when we were thrown out a certain Burty decided to boot a car windscreen right in front of all the filth. He was locked up instantly. Got a big fine and to make matters worse,after being released late on he was chased around manc victoria by a load of piemen who'd been to stockport

the swindon cup semi,a coach of them turned up in the duck n firkin. all hell broke loose in there,i can assure you of that pal

Oh I do. I was living in that London Town at the time, and for whatever reason had no ticket, so had driven up in the home of getting one from somewhere on the night,

Ended up supping in the King Bill with about 7 Swindon Fans who had made the trip up too.

• Site Supporter

I was in the Oldham end mate along with a fair few others. when we were thrown out a certain Burty decided to boot a car windscreen right in front of all the filth. He was locked up instantly. Got a big fine and to make matters worse,after being released late on he was chased around manc victoria by a load of piemen who'd been to stockport

the swindon cup semi,a coach of them turned up in the duck n firkin. all hell broke loose in there,i can assure you of that pal

Proper wild west in the duck that night, bet they wished they`d gone straight home!