Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Aliens - Are We Alone

HomerJay

• Members

No brainer. Anyone with an inkling of statistics would have to conclude that the chances of Earth having the only forms of life in the vast universe are infinitesimally small.

Might only be microbes but it is out there.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter

am i correct in saying that if 'others' did exist we would NEVER know anyway, because they are 600 light years away. 

the only way for us to be sure would be for time travel to exist.

and it that did exist, we would know by now, as they would have come to see us, or we could have come back to tell us?

or are we just looking for that 600 year window where there is an overlap us our and there existance(s)?

headfuck.

Edited by HomerJay

am i correct in saying that if 'others' did exist we would NEVER know anyway, because they are 600 light years away. 

and it that did exist, we would know by now, as they would have come to see us, or we could have come back to tell us?

or are we just looking for that 600 year window where there is an overlap us our and there existance(s)?

headfuck.

I overhear some of IT geeks at work talking about this, worm holes are the prefered method of travel.

• Moderators

headfuck.

something like that

it's not a case of believing or not

it's a case of being arsed

The chances of ever finding anything are remote. Even if you find a world capable of harbouring life, the chance of it developing into intelligent life is very small. The chance of the intelligent life developing technology that we can interact with is even smaller.

There's also a very interesting theory t gat any species capable of launching itself into space is also likely to be the architect of its own destruction. So not only have you got to find the planet, you've also got to spot it during the exact cosmological blink of an eye when civilization develops and before it wipes itself out.

• Moderators

I find it fascinating

Each to their own though

I find the scale of it all and the "chemistry" and randomness of it all fascinating - wonders of the solar system and all that blow my mind as much as blue planet and the like

but the more I see the more I think we probably are alone, certainly to the extent of how developed we are - gives you perspective and all that, plus de bunks any god myths

and if there are micro-organisms out there, so what - I just like the fact we keep on finding out more and more about how fucking big everything else

I think we are alone as in there not being anything like us at all but I think if be area grant time not think even that there's little slugs of something knocking about somewhere. Carl Sagan being paraphrased before is about right. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't but I can't see us meeting them.

UFO watchers do make me titter though

it fascinates me so much

but it scares the shit out of me

its starting to fuck with my mind

anyway im of the opinion there there is another garrp sat at work on a computer responding to this very thread.

or there will be sooner or later anyway

just basically the infinite monkey theorem

• Members

it fascinates me so much

but it scares the shit out of me

its starting to fuck with my mind

anyway im of the opinion there there is another garrp sat at work on a computer responding to this very thread.

or there will be sooner or later anyway

just basically the infinite monkey theorem

Or indeed a Garrp sat there talking about a dishonest Nige.

• Moderators

Saw this program repeated on C5 yesterday

So kepler may have come across some planets in the habitable zone just the right distance from their sun and about the right size for their to be water so their might be life

And because of gravity and that it possibly might look like this, but it'll take millions of years to get their if we wanted to go take a look

nova-alien-planets2.jpg

And because of gravity and that it possibly might look like this]

Bigger planets mean stronger gravity and vice versa and stronger gravity means stronger bones so how do they come to the conclusion that it will cause life to evolve like mutant 8 leg elephants?

• Moderators

You'd have to watch the program for a more satisfactory answer as the best I can do is "gravity and that"

The nose is something to do with not being able to keep bending over for food as itd be too much effort so they evolved a trunk

• Site Supporter

All theory and basically the folk searching will never actually know anything in the grand scheme of things.

You could argue its a fascinating way of just pissing a load of money away.

Edited by HomerJay

You'd have to watch the program for a more satisfactory answer as the best I can do is "gravity and that"

The nose is something to do with not being able to keep bending over for food as itd be too much effort so they evolved a trunk

Fair enough, there's plenty of strange life forms on earth like some of the deep sea creatures and Paloma Faith.

Fair enough, there's plenty of strange life forms on earth like some of the deep sea creatures and Paloma Faith.

See all the crazy shit going in those underwater trenches boggle my mind more than all the space shit.

Life forms that evolved for Billions of years that have only just been discovered etc.

I could watch planet earth and the likes all day long. There's a shit load of malarkey going on in our own planet that we still don't know about.

Bolty is correct. Its basically a case of probability.

The newer orbit based telescopes are using the Doppler effect planet wobble technique and are finding more and more planets. The number known to us with oxygen atmospheres is set to rocket as these telescopes have only been observing a miniscule part of the galaxy. Newer techniques have been developed that will allow scientists to check years of old observed data to pick out even more habitable planets.

There are about 400 billion stars in just our own universe and some massive galaxies contain 100 trillion. it is estimated that there are 170 billion galaxies.

The "estimated" number of stars in the observable universe at its lowest estimate is 1024 or  1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 which is a septillion.

Logical mathematics dictates that given those enormous numbers and the distinct probability that there are a number of other universes, not only is it highly probable that there are earth like planets with human like life at the same, more or less advanced evolutionary stage, but there could be many planets with a town called Bolton and with a website called WW with some tosspot writing stuff like this! :D

Edited by bgoefc

I like the infinite improbability drive theory which is based on a particular perception of quantum theory: a subatomic particle is most likely to be in a particular place, such as near the nucleus of an atom, but there is also an infinitesimally small probability of it being found very far from its point of origin (for example close to a distant star). Thus, a body could travel from place to place without passing through the intervening space (or hyperspace, for that matter), if you had sufficient control of probability.

Edit: Courtesy of Douglas Adams

Edited by Andydee

As I wrote on 19th June 2010 (just in case Traf wants to check it):

"The question is how many could start life; and how many of those could then let life really flourish and evolve; and then how many of those could have periods of stability long enough to let civilisations start? If it's all a lottery and if the odds against the three issues of starting, evolving then developing true intelligence are all in cases the same as the odds of you winning the national lottery tonight, then that would make the odds against a star ever having a civilisation associated with it 14 million cubed, or 1 in 3 x 10E21. Which would mean that only 3 stars in the whole cosmos would ever do it, which would mean that right now we are the only intelligent beings in existance. We're all flying business class on the airways of eternity; but look what's playing on the in-flight video"

And if "other", non DNA forms, exist then why did they not appear (even briefly) here?  Check out the notion of "shadow life".

We are alone, and we'll fuck it up, and it doesn't matter.

Bit like the playoffs.