Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

Everyone's a winner.

Well, except Scotland, obvs.

Wales will be seeded for the play-offs if they get there, but RoI will not if they beat Wales tomorrow.

Slovakia are unlikely to make the play-offs unless Ukraine v Croatia is a draw tomorrow.

• Site Supporter

Portugal and the Argies not qualifying would be the cherry on the top

How the hell do you go from champions of Europe to not qualifying for the W.C in 17 months? Almost makes Englands shambles look ok

Edit

Just seen their group, I wouldn't fancy it

Edited by Biggish Dave

How the hell do you go from champions of Europe to not qualifying for the W.C in 17 months?

They were very lucky winners really, they benefitted massively from landing in the piss easy half of the draw.Portugal the only decent side in one half, France, Germany and Italy all in the other half.

• Moderators

How did Italy and Spain end up in the same group?

Presume it's some seeding quirk and all that but looking at groups D, E and I seems odd that two seemingly strong sides ended up in the same group, especially as when Italy lost to Spain it was something like their first qualifying defeat in 10 years

They were very lucky winners really, they benefitted massively from landing in the piss easy half of the draw.Portugal the only decent side in one half, France, Germany and Italy all in the other half.

History remembers and bookies pay out on winners and losers not lucky winners and unlucky losers.

How did Italy and Spain end up in the same group?

Presume it's some seeding quirk and all that but looking at groups D, E and I seems odd that two seemingly strong sides ended up in the same group, especially as when Italy lost to Spain it was something like their first qualifying defeat in 10 years

At the time of the draw (July 2015) Italy were the 12th ranked European country, and hence in pot 2.

• Members

I'd rather England didn't qualify if it meant Scotland missing out too.

The only population of people I actually hate.

....and, even though we are shit and will be lucky to reach the round of 16 in Russia, isn't it great to see Scotland adding to their (in)glorious World Cup record?

On goal difference too. Even more satisfying  :thumbsup:

• Site Supporter

....and, even though we are shit and will be lucky to reach the round of 16 in Russia, isn't it great to see Scotland adding to their (in)glorious World Cup record?

On goal difference too. Even more satisfying  :thumbsup:

When did it stop being "The Knockout rounds" and start being "The round of 16"?

Why are Wales playing a huge match in such a small stadium?

I think they've given up on Millennium Stadium, players didn't like it and they didn't have best of results there either. Cardiff's ground gives them more of a club atmosphere at games.

Wish our FA dished out England games to club stadiums.

*Pre-Malc edit. I know Wembley is technically a club stadium this season, but you know what I mean.

Edited by Marc505