Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who Should You Vote For?

stevieb

Because a shitload of people live in Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle etc. in comparison to rural England and Wales

If you look at the populations of constituencies as they are now they are pretty much similar in terms of population. There are some discrepencies but overall pretty similar.

The Scottish example above works out at 67,000 ish people per seat. - which is pretty similar to the rest of the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_Parliament_constituencies

No they don't, not really. We've got what, ten cities of over half a million? Ten million in London, apart from that we've not got very many large cities by international standards. The point is that as a constituency's demographics change its boundaries do not. Labour gains from things like urbanisation and immigration and gains in that it adds to its stock of safe seats, which everyone complains makes voting pointless and does overall damage to democracy.  That's why the election will be decided in about seventy of our 650 seats and the rest is a foregone conclusion. Take Bolton West which, I believe, now includes lefty Atherton. That should get the Tories out to vote. That in turn should get the good people of Atherton out to vote if they can get themselves out of bed before the 10pm cut off. That should produce a good contest between better candidates, a higher turnout and will force whoever wins to try and govern for all and be a generally good local MP. That is a good thing

Has anyone been watching these leader interviews with the bog eyed fella off dragons den?

Spending the last night of my twenties watching the main four on iplayer. ROCK AND ROLL!

Go out for a pint, then vote Tory to get that useless fecker out .

Go out for a pint, then vote Tory to get that useless fecker out .

I'm concerned the UKIP vote will keep her in. She's been bombarding my letter box with scraps of paper but no sign of the woman herself yet. Maybe she doesn't work lates what with being a union rep.

You've changed :)

Throw a microdot or two down your chute whilst you're watching it.

I would but I fear I'd have a bad trip and be stuck up Milliband's collapsed septum with nothing but Nigel Farage's non immigration based policies to read.

I'm concerned the UKIP vote will keep her in. She's been bombarding my letter box with scraps of paper but no sign of the woman herself yet. Maybe she doesn't work lates what with being a union rep.

I've had her pamphlet through the door, the Horwich first independent woman (wtf?) has also posted her pamphlet but nowt other than a small sheet about train prices shoved into my hand at Horwich parkway from the Conservatives. A young en with less facial hair than me too!

i hope scargills rant today hasnt passed us all by

minimum wage of 12 quid an hour...

I'm not sure of how they plan to fund it but if, for instance, you have worked the best part of a decade (or more) to get to 11,12,13 quid an hour how are you going to feel if some scrote who is in their first job rocks up on the same salary, because they sure as fuck won't bump everyone else's salary up.

No need for a minimum wage when we tax payers pick up the tab for big companies not paying a living wage via the working tax credit.

No need? So employers would pay £1 an hour and then ask the taxpayer to pick up the remainder of the bill.

I am big on rhetorical questions my man.

Change the £1 in your post to £6 or whatever it is and you have the current situation.

Yeah I think we are in agreement. There is a balance but large companies making huge profits shouldn't get away with not paying a living wage in my opinion.

Yeah I think we are in agreement. There is a balance but large companies making huge profits shouldn't get away with not paying a living wage in my opinion.

They shouldn't because you will get crap staff, the tax payer has to make the wage up and basically it is not the right thing to do.

I've been hearing a lot about this 'living wage'.

What is it? Not the ins & outs, I get that, put a figure to it. 10k, 12k, 14k, 16k........?

It's seems a buzz phrase at the moment but I've never heard a figure!

What happened to 'cut your cloth accordingly' , when did people stop taking responsibility for their own lives?

• Moderators

Scargill put a figure on it, 25K!!!

2 adults, both earning minimum wage so paying fuck all tax can afford to "live" IMO. And by that I mean have a house, cars and a couple of holidays a year.

You probably can't afford to have two 65 plate cars, live in a detached 4 bed and spend the winter in the Caribbean. Deal with it.

I've been hearing a lot about this 'living wage'.

What is it? Not the ins & outs, I get that, put a figure to it. 10k, 12k, 14k, 16k........?

It's seems a buzz phrase at the moment but I've never heard a figure!

What happened to 'cut your cloth accordingly' , when did people stop taking responsibility for their own lives?

£7.85 an hour outside London and £9.15 an hour inside London.

It is calculated independently as being the minimum amount required to cover basic costs of living. Lots of companies have signed up to it. As well as lots of public sector organisations.

Scargill put a figure on it, 25K!!!

2 adults, both earning minimum wage so paying fuck all tax can afford to "live" IMO. And by that I mean have a house, cars and a couple of holidays a year.

You probably can't afford to have two 65 plate cars, live in a detached 4 bed and spend the winter in the Caribbean. Deal with it.

Add a kid into the mix and they probably can't live the life you mention.