Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Three Peaks Challenge

only1swanny

• Site Supporter

I'm "attempting" this on Wednesday, slowly getting myself back into some semblance of shape..

start at Ben Nevis at 5pm, drive overnight to do scafell at 5am and then finish Snowdon by 5pm..

Anyone done it?

Any tips?? (aside from don't bother)..

• Site Supporter

Did it last summer. The hardest bit was the travel as we had too many on our mini bus. You need 2 drivers and 2 seats each and a bit of luck with the weather, we still had snow on Ben Nevis which was fun.

12 of us on a 16 seater.. 

quite a few of them are quite small.. one driver who is used to doing long distance. Had snow on scafell a few months back and that was a PIA.. can image deep snow slows you down quite a bit.

• Site Supporter

Be a tight squeeze with bags, we had a couple lying on the floor of the bus.

Make sure you do the pyg track on Snowden much easier route.

Good luck.

did you try the miners track? we set off at the same time as a couple doing miners last time and they managed the ascent 30 mins quicker..

• Site Supporter

12 in a 16 seater?

Should smell nice and ripe by the time you head for home.

My top tip would be to not lose your hiking boots between scafell and snowdonia, thus having to do the third peak in a mates spare trainers that are 3 sizes too small for you.

Oh, and coming down scafell at 1am without torches and relying on the light from your mobile phones isn't advisable either.

Going up to Rivvy Pike 3 times in a row from the barn is NOT adequate training, trust me.

We should have died.

Anyhow, just keep plopping one foot in front of the other and you'll be fine.

• Site Supporter

12 in a 16 seater?

Should smell nice and ripe by the time you head for home.

My top tip would be to not lose your hiking boots between scafell and snowdonia, thus having to do the third peak in a mates spare trainers that are 3 sizes too small for you.

Oh, and coming down scafell at 1am without torches and relying on the light from your mobile phones isn't advisable either.

Going up to Rivvy Pike 3 times in a row from the barn is NOT adequate training, trust me.

We should have died.

Anyhow, just keep plopping one foot in front of the other and you'll be fine.

aye 6 blokes 6 ladies (one must have dropped out at some point and nobody has relised (oops)).

( 1 history, 1 geography, 2 RS, 1 Business/ICT, 2 science, 1 psychology, 1 maths, 2 PE, 1 drama teacher ) 

You would imagine the PE ones to be the ones in shape, and the geog one the one who knows how to use a map.

https://www.justgiving.com/teams/gshs

My tip would be don't go up Scafell, go up Scafell Pike instead otherwise it won't count.

Ben Nevis via the tourist path is a fucking dull grind.

Hope you've got somebody who can navigate up Scafell Pike as it's easy to 'go off'.

Not been up Snowdon from Llanberus but I think it's a piece of piss to find your way up and down.

Good luck. Keep eating and drinking.

• Site Supporter

My tip would be don't go up Scafell, go up Scafell Pike instead otherwise it won't count.

Ben Nevis via the tourist path is a fucking dull grind.

Hope you've got somebody who can navigate up Scafell Pike as it's easy to 'go off'.

Not been up Snowdon from Llanberus but I think it's a piece of piss to find your way up and down.

Good luck. Keep eating and drinking.

cheers,

can navigate Scafell pike and snowdon myself i'll be at the back though with slow ones at the front, never done Ben Nevis i'll check which path is best tonight

I did the driving for this on my own 1002 miles knackered. We got to scafell about 4.30am my chance to get some kip, parking attendants knocking on window at 7 can you move to the pay and display as it is open now.Check your routes the day before,there was overnight road closures this put us behind by nearly an hour.

When I did it a few years ago we were all ahead of schedule so eased off and stopped for a bite in Glasgow. Not advisable if you're trying to do it within 24 hours. Did Scafell Pike reasonably quick but the fatigue kicked in massively on Snowdon. We regretted the stop off in Glasgow as we almost didn't finish it on time.

Be careful on the way up scafell pike as the mist at the time in the morning can come on quick and you can easily end up lost.

Ask the driver to nip into Bangor while your on the way up Snowdon and grab you some cold beers for when you're done. You'll have earned them by the time you're done!

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...