Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Wonder what Mounts makes about the Clough signing....a year ago he was calling him "a gold plated superstar" but now he must think he's shit - because when we signed Walker earlier in the day, he suggested the fact that Forest had loaned him out to us told him all he needed to know about the player

Don't know what to make of this window suppose all we can do is wait and see ! I know we could not turn down 5-6 million for Madine but my worry is we have to change style and like somebody else said most of our players can't pass a ball 5 yards? Parky must be feeling like shit this morning all the clubs he's managed have always played hoof ball now he as to earn his money.

Wilbraham is no more utter wank than madines worth £6m - in his cameos at home his hold up play was decent imo so if we need to go long we can the Anderson’s could well be saying if he’s not good enough to cover madine now why the fuck did we get him however I appreciate I’m taking the positives there but have stopped short of delusional ...... I hope ????

Wonder what Mounts makes about the Clough signing....a year ago he was calling him "a gold plated superstar" but now he must think he's shit - because when we signed Walker earlier in the day, he suggested the fact that Forest had loaned him out to us told him all he needed to know about the player

I like Clough but he’s not a replacement for Madine, Flanagan a decent addition sadly the windows been a disaster as we’ve lost the player who makes our system work and not replaced him and I can see some heavy defeats between now and the end of season followed by relegation.

The me from 2 years ago is still in a state of utter incredulity that we've flogged Madine for 6 million.

Did well for us this season - but has spent most of the rest of his Bolton career being a massive shithouse.

Still can't see Parky altering his formation much - and expect to see Wilbraham being used from the off on Friday.

Must say the Anderson's seem to do a first class job of January transfer windows as far as talking points go.

Really pleased to see Clough back - Flanagan has always looked a player to me. Burke is a useful addition and we'll have to wait and see with Walker.

On balance - I'd say we're stronger on paper now than at the start of the window. The problem is how do we fit them all in. Over to you Phil.

I like Clough but he’s not a replacement for Madine, Flanagan a decent addition sadly the windows been a disaster as we’ve lost the player who makes our system work and not replaced him and I can see some heavy defeats between now and the end of season followed by relegation.

i've only read the last two pages and thats the second time someones sed that.

theres been miles more disappointing outgoing transfers in the past.

even anelka , and that were rumoured/obvious/expected to happen for weeks and months.

clough coming back is gudjohnson tier. might not work but , holy christ, i likes it.

So were left with wilbraham as the lump up front for hoof ball. If I was being kind I’d describe what I’ve seen of him as average.

This Tyler walker is 5’10 so he ain’t being the outlet ball. Shades of Long again.

5 loan players can be named on the team sheet, I count we have 6 so whose missing out?

Parky has to find a new way of playing and I don’t think he’s good enough to move from defensive hoofball. I can see a few twattings on the cards whilst we struggle to adapt.

As for clough coming back, I think it’s a meh! He’s not been playing.

I’ll be there on Friday night, not feeling confident though now.

People aren’t kicking off because we’ve got millions for madine it’s because we have not replaced him and in many peoples opinion we are more likely now to be relegated.

Absolutely. The team was built around Madine. The idea that mid season we can just flick a switch and turn Henry et al into pass and move types is laughable.

• Moderators

there are people on here who have clearly played too much championship manager

press button A to attack

press button B to hoof

press button C to play holland 74

parkinson is pragmatic and plays to the strengths of his players

to suggest hes only ever played one way is laughable

fact is, what we have been doing for the last three months is plenty good enough for safety in this league and thats success for anybody sane

obvs, on here its easy to say, we should do this, we should do that and you know what it might be better over a season

equally, it might not

press button A to attack

press button B to hoof

press button C to play holland 74

parkinson is pragmatic and plays to the strengths of his players

to suggest hes only ever played one way is laughable

fact is, what we have been doing for the last three months is plenty good enough for safety in this league and thats success for anybody sane

obvs, on here its easy to say, we should do this, we should do that and you know what it might be better over a season

equally, it might not

it’s frustrating that he can and has changed his tactics but he reverts back

If we had said no to Cardiff, do you really think Madine would have continued with the recent form. Really ?

From eveything we've seen and read of him in the past, do you really think he would have battled on, or had another sulk.

Or do you think we should have then matched the wages Cardiff were offering (parachute money dont forget) and upset the rest of the squad.

6mill for Madine is crazy and can’t be turned down, I just hope Warnock gets fucked off in the end for wasting that much money

The massive loss for us was not getting Chungy, he would have lifted our overall quality to mid table level

If Parky can stumble across a formation that gets the best out of Clough, Vela, Ameobi, Walker and Flanagan we might just survive

• Moderators

burke is our one centre back who can pass (dervite plays the better long balls of the other three)

if i had to guess, id say we are likely to see beevers 'rested' quite a bit more

as for changing style, we tried to pass it against burton following on from a game at forest where we had more possession than them (and lost) and that went to shit after abhout 20 minutes when they realised we werent good enough to pass it well enough

not saying it cant work, but for every sheff utd, theres a burton albion  :)

• Moderators

If we had said no to Cardiff, do you really think Madine would have continued with the recent form. Really ?

From eveything we've seen and read of him in the past, do you really think he would have battled on, or had another sulk.

Or do you think we should have then matched the wages Cardiff were offering (parachute money dont forget) and upset the rest of the squad.

agree with all of this

i think me and you could write kens article, today  :)

doubt he'll mention the sulking but great offer, team spirit and pay structure will doubtless feature

for the first time in years, i reckon we've sold an asset at the top of their value and still m0ngos moan

• Site Supporter

press button A to attack

press button B to hoof

Did anyone change tactics or did they accidentally hit Button A instead of B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B?

I don’t think anyone is disputing that we had to sell Madine for that money (although I’m sceptical how much of the £6m we’ll actually see). It’s the fact that we didn’t replace him - I know we tried for players but surely we could have found out before yesterday that the Dutch lad didn’t fancy it, or how much Charlton wanted or whether McGoldrick actually fancied moving to Bolton? I can’t beleive that Ken hasn’t done that throughout Jan but it’s the 1st time he hasn’t pulled it off, it all felt like we missed 1 target and then we just scrambled around for anyone else with a few hours to go.

I’m happy with the players that have come in, I think the back 4 is probably the strongest part of the team now and we’ve got options and pace up top, BUT anyone thinking that Wheater and Beevers are suddenly going to split either side of the box for an Alnwick goal kick to pick the ball up, play it to Pratley who has dropped deep who will then turn away from the opposition centre mid and find Clough to start the attack is deluded.

Burke might improve it if he plays ahead of Beevers and you could play Vela next to Henry with Clough taking the number 10 role but I still think it’s a big ask to completely change the way we play 2/3’s of the way through the season.

There’s also massive pressure on Walker to lead the line, he looks decent and has good reviews from Forest but it’s a massive gamble.

Whatever happens it’ll be ‘interesting’ from now on in, I just think that a lot of people have rose tinted glasses on about the way we will come out and play and will have a big shock come Friday night.