Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Quite.

And to break up our country should involve a vote of all of the people, not merely those who happen to be living in a part of it at a given moment in time.

We’re not breaking up a country.

It’s a Union.

There’s a European one if you need a convenient reference point 🙃

1 minute ago, Spider said:

We’re not breaking up a country.

It’s a Union.

There’s a European one if you need a convenient reference point 🙃

No, you are wrong. Fact, it is a country. Look it up.

And completely different to the EU.

Edited by globaldiver

29 minutes ago, Spider said:

If it’s the will of the people, then no one should stand in their way.

Even if it’s only 52% of them.

And why is it overwhelmingly the will of their people? Because Westminster has treated Scotland with total derision and taken them out of the EU against their will.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

And why is it overwhelmingly the will of their people? Because Westminster has treated Scotland with total derision and taken them out of the EU against their will.

And aren’t even regarded as a country anymore

its no wonder they’re pissed off.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter

For what it’s worth, I’d fckin hate for the UK to be broken up, especially given that I’m 50% Scottish anyway.

However, we know how important the will of the people is, and all Sturgeon has done is keep that will in the spotlight.

Fortunately, the last vote went the way I personally wanted it to. But, as always, things change. And we must adapt. We must just get on with it. It is, as we know, what it is.

21 minutes ago, Spider said:

For what it’s worth, I’d fckin hate for the UK to be broken up, especially given that I’m 50% Scottish anyway.

However, we know how important the will of the people is, and all Sturgeon has done is keep that will in the spotlight.

Fortunately, the last vote went the way I personally wanted it to. But, as always, things change. And we must adapt. We must just get on with it. It is, as we know, what it is.

Yo, finally something we’re aligned on Spider!! I’m 50% Scots too and in fact if you look at many families in all four UK countries I bet you’d find mixes in most of us so like you I believe we’re much better together. That’s why Scotland voting to Remain is really pointless because it was a UK wide vote. I have no problem with Nationalists wanting Independence but they have to accept that the last time it was voted on the stay togethers won and I’m sure if Scots born in the rest of the UK were included, the margin would have been even bigger.

• Members
3 hours ago, Farrelli said:

It's not the overwhelming will of the people, though

Polls regularly indicate more people in Scotland would vote against independence than in favour of it

• Members
3 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Wasn't it a collective vote to either remain or leave? IE all in or all out?

You could pick individual cities or regions that voted to remain but then say they were taken out against their will? 

6 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

You could pick individual cities or regions that voted to remain but then say they were taken out against their will? 

Indeed, there was one constituency in the referendum; the UK. 

2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Of course but it is undeniable that the individual nations brexit vote share is significant. Hence, separation from the UK is mooted for both Northern Ireland and Scotland. In Northern Ireland’s case brexit is completely unworkable and totally at odds with the GFA.

Edited by Farrelli

• Members
2 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Of course but it is undeniable that the individual nations brexit vote share is significant. Hence, separation from the UK is muted for both Northern Ireland and Scotland. In Northern Ireland’s case brexit is completely unworkable and totally at odds with the GFA.

How did Scotland's last vote on separation from the UK go?

Just now, DirtySanchez said:

So you're saying if there was a vote tomorrow they would vote for independence?

No idea but it would be close. Incidentally I do not want Scotland to leave the UK but I can understand why they would after 13 years of Tory government.

2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

So is it close or is it overwhelming?

You've said both 

You are struggling aren’t you?

if there was a vote tomorrow it would be overwhelmingly for independence IMO.

as there is no date yet on a vote it is impossible to predict the outcome.

got it?

9 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Compare that resignation speech with Truss' without any coloured lenses in your spectacles.

I don't agree with Sturgeon on a number of issues but she resigned with dignity unlike a couple of PMs very recently.

This about sums it up for me.

She’s streets ahead of anyone the Tories have had leading in the last 12 years. Lots of misinformation on here, particularly around polls and public opinion. 

The electoral success she’s had under that party has been remarkable and it’s not looking like stopping anytime soon. Probs not someone I’ll vote for unless it’s a referendum but she’s well liked by the majority up here and always will be respected.