Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

18 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

If people are going on strike, then your negotiations have failed.

As an ex union negotiator (yes, it’s true) I agree. Ask for something that isn’t realistic and the only other alternative is strike. A compromise will eventually be reached but it won’t be anything like what they are asking for. 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

As an ex union negotiator (yes, it’s true) I agree. Ask for something that isn’t realistic and the only other alternative is strike. A compromise will eventually be reached but it won’t be anything like what they are asking for. 

Utter nonsense. Industrial Action is always the last resort. Doesn't matter what you ask for if the other party refuses to negotiate entirely.

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Utter nonsense. Industrial Action is always the last resort. Doesn't matter what you ask for if the other party refuses to negotiate entirely.

Of course it matters what you ask for. If you ask for something unrealistic, then the other party will obviously walk away. To say the employer has refused to negotiate entirely’ is utter nonsense.

• Site Supporter
Just now, BobyBrno said:

Of course it matters what you ask for. If you ask for something unrealistic, then the other party will obviously walk away. To say the employer has refused to negotiate entirely’ is utter nonsense.

Walking away is literally a refusal to negotiate. They've only come back to the table because of the strikes and the negative publicity it generated, thus confirming that Industrial Action works as well as it always has.

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Walking away is literally a refusal to negotiate. They've only come back to the table because of the strikes and the negative publicity it generated, thus confirming that Industrial Action works as well as it always has.

So they’ve not ‘refused to negotiate entirely’ They were negotiating before the strike and have continued to so throughout. 
There has been an agreement with some. There will be an agreement with the others eventually. It won’t be what they asked for though.

8 minutes ago, kent_white said:

How does this work then? My union voted to take the deal, derisory as it was. But if another union refuses is - does that mean the whole deal is off the table for everybody?

My wife works for the Police. She wasn’t happy with what they were offered last year but it went through anyway. Everyone wants more. 

36 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Correct and it took them ages to come to the table in the first place which has got the backs up of nearly every union making negotiations even harder. They are fkin shite.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

My wife works for the Police. She wasn’t happy with what they were offered last year but it went through anyway. Everyone wants more. 

Do you want to be paid 'less'?

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, kent_white said:

How does this work then? My union voted to take the deal, derisory as it was. But if another union refuses is - does that mean the whole deal is off the table for everybody?

Seems we were both right about the result!

Not sure how it works, teachers have loads of different unions, anyone know if this has played out similar with them in the past?

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Looks like bbc changed the story. It was referencing unison accepting offer. 

https://www.unison.org.uk/news/2023/04/unison-health-workers-vote-to-accept-nhs-pay-offer/

Yeah I know Unison have (which isn't a surprise as they tend to represent a lot of workers who aren't from line - back office staff etc). 

What I don't get is what happens to the pay deal if only a minority of the unions sign up to it? Surely they can't pay some on the new deal and some on the old. Or does it all get put of hold until everyone is in agreement?

Or could the RCN potentially good out for more and everyone ultimately end up benefitting from it? 

I genuinely think that there should be a different pay spine for front line and non front line. 

I doubt the average man in the street realises that this pay award relates to everyone on an NHS contract - whether they are a theatre nurse doing open heart surgery - or someone serving over priced hamburgers in the hospital restaurant. 

It also doesn't apply to nurses working in GP land - who get a MASSIVELY shitty stick in account that they are around by a private practice and not by the NHS directly. The whole thing is a shit show tbh!